1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is This Right???

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by uoBuoY, Apr 27, 2009.

1. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

Attempting to Tame a Rune Beetle... 63 Taming attempts, 2 actual Tame starts at 120 Taming??? This just seems all wrong!

2. Leto

Leto Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Regardless of your taming skill you will 'anger the beast' 19 out of 20 times. While 61 fails out of 63 attempts might seem excessive, it is only slightly on the bad side of the RNG.

3. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sure doesn't seem right. The last few i tamed prolly took 6ish attempts to tame. Whats your animal lore at?

4. RichDC

RichDC Guest

It does happen, ive had it with nightmares, cu's GD near everything. Somedays ill get it first try others i can honestly take about 30mins to get one attempt.

5. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Is there any possibility the beetle you were taming was previously tamed by someone else and then released? That will up the taming difficulty a bit.

6. EnigmaMaitreya

EnigmaMaitreya Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah it is the kind of thing that ticks you off :)

In another thread here, I was saying how the most number of Honor Tame attempts was two.

What I didn't say was the first Honor Tame attempt, didn't start a single Tame cycle and that was at the 8th bubble of Follower or in my opinion between 90 and 120 seconds of tame attempts being generated every second or so.

The next Honor Tame attempt and I was almost continuously starting a Tame Cycle.

So .... in my opinion, no it isn't right. It is a bug, probably as old as UO (and in a lot of games) were the RNG (Random Number Generator) goes into a massively streaky condition.

*Shrug* One just lives through it, grumbles, post on the appropriate message board, kicks the dog and moves on ....

7. Leto

Leto Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

There is a big difference between the anger-cycle and the actual taming attempt. At 120 taming you should be able to tame a Rune Beetle fairly easily, within a couple of attempts.
    However, like I said before; Your taming skill has no effect whatsoever on the anger-cycle. Even at 120 taming you will 'anger the beast' 19 out of 20 times.

This I wil agree with but not based on the 61 out of 63 example in this thread.
    No matter what the devs may say; UO's RNG is terribly streaky

8. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What seems weird to me is 11 years of me being a tamer i've never once had this problem. I think the RNG is just fine. 120 taming 120 lore and even with g-drags i get a taming chance every 8 or so attempts on the average.

9. Vantobia

Vantobia Guest

Yeah.. spammage of that tame last target macro is the best. The difference between 10 angers and 20 angers is only going to be a second or two spamming that baby.

10. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

Original Poster here...A few answers
    My Lore is 120.
    The beetle spawned on top of my char (and that's not fun!) so it wasn't pretamed.
    I've tamed beetles before and seem to recall at most needing 10 attempts.
    I am going to try again tonight. If I find a keep, I'll report on the taming attempts.