1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Is UO fansites taking a back seat to WARHAMMER? (Pictures)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Richtor Darkbane, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Another poster brought this to my attention and I wanted to take a more in depth look at it. To me it looks like UO is taking a back seat to WARHAMMER in the fansite department, but I'll let you decide.

So this is the UO site:

This is the WARHAMMER site:

Pretty similar right? I mean we both have a fansite section, or do we? Let's take a closer look at the actual pages.

This one is WARHAMMERS site:

I think we can all agree it's pretty content rich, cool looking site that includes the actual links to real fansites! Wow a fansite kit too! Cool! It looks pretty similar to the one that used to be offered in the UO fansite program. But wait whats this... oh look down there at the UO site.

This is the UO site:

This is strange, there are no fansites in the fansite section? No fansite kit, where did they go? Just some text and an e-mail address telling us we might be featured for FoF.

Oh but I almost forgot, the very first fansite listed on the WARHAMMER fansite page has banner-ads for OTHER GAMES!!!!!!! Check it out!

Why are they picking on UO?

I mean both sites are run by Mythic right? I mean heck even the GMs for the games are combined, which means they should both be getting the same amount of attention, but for some reason it feel like UO is taking a backseat to the new kid on the block. Aren't we still paying our monthly subscription fees?
  2. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

May 24, 2008
  3. AdamD

AdamD Guest

I think I've said this in another thread, but...

Sanya, who was the...er...."Director of Community Relations", didn't believe in fansite programs or kits, so as soon as they took over the running of UO, they cancelled the fansite program (and therefore, the art kit as well, I assume)

Trust me, as owner of UOForums, I've been emailing back and forth about this ever since they terminated the program, as it took some of us, many months or even years, to get on that approved list.

So I spoke with Bob (The new community relations director) and he promised a lot of stuff, but never delivered, unfortunatly (And this happened numerous times.)

Although something he said, explains why

That last paragraph was sent to me back in Feburary of this year and nothing has changed.
  4. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

Dec 17, 2006
    Just face it UO will take the backseat. We should all know this. They are useing UO as the test dummy to see how we react prolly before they put it on DAOC or Hammer.
  5. Oh I plan to 'face it', but I'm not taking this lying down, I have to many years invested in this game and care to much about the game and the people who play it to not fight for it. If you kill the fansites, you kill the fans & community and ultimately kill the game, it's like severing a plant at the roots, eventually the entire plant will die.
  6. Violence

Violence Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

May 27, 2008
    So it won't happen in a day, but gradually. Still will happen though...
    UO is not just taking a back seat. If you look at the whole picture -with what we can gather so far- it's actually dying.

Yeah you might call this another "Sky is falling" post but I'm merely saying what I'm seeing. EA should feel free to correct me, but please with something more solid than "Anticipation is good for you". :next:
  7. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 26, 2008
  8. Gwendar-SP

Gwendar-SP Guest

hard to have fan sites if one can't say the urls
  9. NewThunder

NewThunder Guest

Look everyone, just keep paying your monthy fees and everything will work itself out, I am sure the very SOON there will be updates to the UO site; clearly we all just need to be more patient.
  10. I don't mind being patient, but I have to have something to be patient for, give me some official word that at least some amount of attention is being given to this issue! As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. :sad4:
  11. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 16, 2008
    Warhammer is Mythic's "baby" so it's pretty likely they'll lavish more attention on making it better than UO. UO makes a profit as it stands, but I suspect Warhammer has quite a lot of development cash to pay for. I think the new subscribers to Warhammer would rather that attention was lavished on the game than the website. The last thing I heard was that some cities had been pulled from the final release because the team sounded overstretched. I'm sure some fans are thinking, "f' the website, just finish the game!"

And ick, I know UO's site lacks content, but I'm not a fan of that OTT eye candy design style for MMOs. Sometimes it looks too much like "all eye candy, no gameplay" or at worst a clone of all the others. I hope they don't do that to UO's site.

12. I wouldn't care if it was only text on the UO site, what I am trying to point out is that they have an existing fansite, even the Asian shards have a similar fansite, with links to fan-pages (that break the TOS). All we get are a few paragraphs and a promise that we might have our site mentioned on Five On Friday. Instead of coming up with specific rules for fansites, they choose to remove all of them, and now there even cracking down on URL's in game. What will it be next week? No more guild websites? It's got to stop somewhere. EA/Mythic needs to enforce rules across the board, or don't enforce them at all, and they need to make those rules known before they enforce them with suspensions/bannings.
  13. I'm still curious as to whether or not we can say our guilds website outloud in game... I hope it's covered in the FoF.
  14. GAMBIT35

GAMBIT35 Guest

WOW! You guys actually think this game matters to EA or Mythic. Get out of your bubble guys. They'll put up with you as long as this game makes a profit but don't expect much more. When you think about it, why should they. I Read posts about how you guys keep paying for accounts you don't even play. If you give yourself no respect then you get none.
  15. Here is what was said in the last FoF
    It's sad to say but I finally think they are neglecting us a bit in favor of new more exciting projects...I don't know if this will kill out UO all together or not but it is certainly affecting the community.

And while there are many other MMORPG games out there free ones too - they just do not offer all that UO does with character uniqueness and houses and so on.