1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is your house Public or Private?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Spree, Sep 21, 2008.

?

Is your house Private?

1. yes

70.2%
  2. no

29.8%
  1. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Idea stolen form Black Rain's post on UHALL. Houses used to be accessed by anyone why pre aos. Why do you need a sheild around your house? Should this part of the Trammel bleed be removed from Seige?

2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Both. Stop trying to kill me in my house and I would consider it.

3. Daleth

Daleth Guest

Rember way way way back when before SP(and maybe when SP first came out because I didnt play it back then) that you always closed your door right away so no one could stealth in your house behind you.Because if they did they could rob you blind of whatever was in your containers. It was also before decorating tools and if you wanted stuff higher up on your walls you had to stack a disposable item ie a fish steak or death robes and then top it off with your item and lock it down. So then once the other items decayed it stayed there. Back then if you had an awesomely decorated house you really respected it because you knew it took forever to do, okay Im done sorry just reminiscing.:eyes::sword:

M

4. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

I remember having a table baracade insided the house to keep people from getting to your items if they got in the door.

5. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I do =P

I had table baracades n what not too... as well as stacked chests wall to wall in my "tiny" house... lol.

While I really enjoyed those days... those days are not so practical anymore.

But, even so... houses are tooooo safe right now if they are private.

One thing Siege had on top of the other shards in the old system... was that if you were grey and/or red... you could not ban other players from your home. So there was an even bigger risk people would have to take if they wanted the ability to kill other players freely.

6. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Both. The shop is public, the house is private.

However, if houses were all public, with no way to keep people out (as has been suggested) and towns had no guardzones (as has also been suggested) where would the non-combatants go about their business? There has to be *somewhere* of relative safety for crafters to produce their wares. Risk is one thing, total exposure is another. Or do you want the crafters to leave?

7. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Did you read my post on UOHall?

1. Make all doors and teleporters set to "anyone" access by default and remove the ability to change it.

2. Give the owner of every home 2 master keys that can lock/unlock any door in the home. Tinker can make copies of the keys too.

3. Regardless if the home is public or private, allow players the ability to lock their doors and secure their own homes.

4. Enstate texas law for private homes.

** This is my idea in addition to this fix/change.

5. Allow players with public homes, who wish to pay a recurring tithe, the ability to purchase guardzone protection for their homes. That way, if other players want to kill other players in that establishment... it won't be so easy to grief players. Although, right now... we don't have it and shops operate fine... I thought it would be a great idea so people aren't so swayed by placing a shop next to a guardzone.

Make the tithe ridiculously expensive (a great gold sink) in order to make it really worth while for anyone who chooses. I'd say something like 30k a day, which is something to the tune of 1mil gp a month.

** My suggestions

I have reasons for why I think the 2 master keys should be blessed... be but I doubt Siege would go for it... so...

I think there should be an option given that only the **owner** can access in order to create 2 new master keys and make the old ones obsolete (in case they get stolen or lost.)

8. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Also, if you have the key in your pack... double clicking the door will open it. You don't need to physically unlock, open the door, close the door and then relock it to get in. (Too much time for error/abuse/grief) and just double clicking a locked door if you had the key was how it worked pre-AOS anyway.

The coding is all, already there.

Tools to use for protecting your home from intruders

-Lock the front door (people cannot get in if your home is secured.)

-Remove Thyself

-I Ban Thee

-Detect Hidden (at 0 skill) anywhere in your home will reveal any and all hidden players.

9. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

One thing I miss is being able to raid or defend a house. Like when the orks would hold someone captive and people would have to get in kill the orks and save the prisoner.

10. Czarina

Czarina Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I got a even better idea! Make natures fury unable to be cast inside a house!!

11. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

The last patch (Publish 55) made it so that natures fury couldnt be cast into homes.

or at least it was supposed to have... lol.

12. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am all for it if they return the patroll command to pets, allow you to set all sorts of nifty booby traps inside your home much like faction traps, let you hire guards and anyone killed by you in your home can not give you a count.

However I think this is just all wishfull thinking since they can't even get 2 little NPCs to stay at there posts on siege.

13. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

really I dont seem to have a problem....

14. MaceAho

MaceAho Guest

WORD!

15. rieley

rieley Guest

Is it possible to ask: Would you like your house to be public or private?

Mine is private, however trying to work on a public lot. There is an open area of 'outdoor' that I would very much like to share with the community, (make public) but also have a few rooms private. A FAQ would be nice, is there a link on stratics? I thought once I read items could be stolen somehow? Can items be removed from locked containers by a highly skilled lockpicker?

I would vote public, working on that now in game. There must be a way to safe keep items in one's home or players would be working on that aspect?

16. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

I will at some point... help you properly secure your home dendra.

not tonight but later this week... until then I suggest you keep it private.

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Visitor

having pets able to guard other players and objects besides yourself would be sweet too....

18. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I really do no want to know what a Trammel bleed is!

As for the original key system of housing mentioned by Black Rain... I thought
    it was ok and more realistic than what we have now.

I have a problem with the poll. A house can be considered open to the public
    but you still can not go pass the first secured door. This is hardly public folks.

I want the doors and teleporting pads to be lockpickable by thieves.
    Alternatively, the door should be damagable and repairable!
    But, all the containers inside is another matter.
    I do not like the fact you have to unlock down an entire chest to remove
    just one item...bad idea! But, some containers may be breachable by the
    grey thieves. It use to be that there was one strongbox for the owner or
    co-owners and those were absolutely safebox. With trapped containers and
    other methods of security available three safeboxes per house should be
    enough.

Let us step backward to the original house key system for entry...

Since I have no house on SP, I did not vote.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

19. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

I'm talking about the house system that was added with AOS. You used to be able to run up on the porches of marbles and villas and the step of other houes. I did try to pick door locks back in 98 it didn't work.

20. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Lockpicking does not work that way. Once you "I wish to secure this" on a container you single click it to get the access gump, you can then set it to the level you want. Same works for doors and teliporters.
    If you have more questions about this just ask.

21. Petra Fyde

the 'fix' was pulled, it didn't work completely apparently.

I died inside Mo's tower often enough to know that I can't close a door behind me fast enough to keep someone from following me in. I don't like this idea, but I guess, as with any other change in game I don't particularly like, I'd find some way to work with it.

Currently at the shop I have teleporters to get in myself and a door set 'friends' that I can open to allow people not friended to come in and talk to me. However as I found to my cost it's quite easy to prevent me accessing my home at all so that I can be killed outside of it. Two bagballs on my teleporters was all that it took.

22. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I miss casting magic trap on peoples doors and watching them freak out when the BOOM went off...

23. Gunn4r

Gunn4r Guest

mines public.

24. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

I keep mine locked. I'd love for all houses to be public...oh the fun I could have...but with all the zerg guilds playing from inside their houses, I like to keep the same rules...la

25. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Are you referring to the nature's fury in private houses fix? They pulled it?

-Skylark

26. Petra Fyde

yes. :( apparently it wasn't totally successful.

However I have managed to make my upper floor safe anyway, and without messing up the design too much. It has been tested, by both friend and foe :D

Dare I admit to a childish urge to say 'ner ner' when Wyrm revealed me and circled the house a couple of times but I didn't get any furies for company? :)