1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Issues placing Stone walls and flooring in New Expansion in Castle

Discussion in 'UO Homes and Castles' started by Agath_Darkbane, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Agath_Darkbane

Agath_Darkbane Journeyman

Hello, I am having a few issues placing stone walls and flooring in my castle on Atlantic.

My goal is to build a 2nd and 3rd floor wall around the outer perimeter of the castle. I have looked into what is considered an appropriate height and my project falls into that category.

The biggest problem I am having is placing walls.

I have found that stone floors work like Gozas, in that they have to be used to manually raise walls up to where they need to be. For example on the north side of the castle I had to run outside of the castle and place stone walls beneath the flooring and raise them up to the 2nd level, and from there I would use the crate trick to put stone walls in and destroy the crates, leaving the stone walls in place.

Once I got to the 3rd floor (2nd floor of building stone walls on top of eachother) I found that the stone walls were collapsing on themselves or disappearing, so I tried redoing it. I was able to get some of the walls up, but when I logged in the next day they were all gone, but all the flooring was still there. As I said I am building within the height recommendations that I have been told about. I am attaching 3 pictures, which give an indication of how things are going, and one picture being of what I logged in to find.

Thank you.

Sabrina

Attached Files:

2. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

3. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

From what I understand, they have limited it and you cannot build outside of the castle's 2 floors. So you can't create a third or fourth floor.

4. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

dang. that would leave the expansion pretty useless for me. *sad sigh*

5. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

6. Shadefox

Shadefox Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

hmmm this is not what I reactivated my accounts for =( Oh well, at least I have fun playing again, but, BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (mature right^^)

7. Shadefox

Shadefox Certifiable

How about rubble and display cases? I used to have a thrid floor on castle roof with walls made out of flowstones, rubble and stacked display cases. DO they risk deletion too now?

8. Irulia Darkaith

Unless I'm mistaken the post that says you can't create the third or fourth floor is from a player who said that the game won't let you build that high based on their own experiences. I get the "you cannot build that high" when I try to drop a wall at an excessive height (72 by my count)...but if I lower the floor tiles a few notches the message goes away and I can build. My current construction is no higher than what I can achieve through house customization so I don't understand why they would say it's illegal.

In Sabrina's post the walls are awfully close to blocking the view of the house behind her - is it possible that's the problem? I currently have my castle built to the same height as a customized home and nothing has vanished including my work from last night which has floors set to However, the floor tiles that were too high did vanish.

Regardless we really need an official comment. Why is that taking so long to get someone to make it official? Maybe they will be selling zoning variances on the UO store to let people build their castles higher ?

Kayhynn likes this.
  9. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

There was an official comment.

Now, considering he says "around" (which is ambiguous as all get out), you _could_ try to get away with utilizing the foundation in your calculating. But that is a risk some people are not so willing to take, considering the items they want to place and display on the upper levels.

10. Blackie

Blackie Adventurer

This is still an issue, happened to me last night and I did not try to create a '3rd floor'. This is what happened, in case it helps others...

- L-Shape house, I built a cooking area on the main floor from stone and a fireplace on the floor above
    - I dbl clicked each block to lock them down, I also said 'I wish to lock this down' on each piece afterwards(none glowed yellow).
    - I didn't raise anything on the upper floor past the warning message, no stone tile was above the z limit
    - Logged on this morning and ALL stone tiles were gone, from both floors

Again, NO stone tile was above any Z axis limit, but one of the following might have caused the problem, not sure which yet.

#1 - I put down some small stone stairs next to the fireplace upstairs and did climb on them to put a book down on top of the fireplace. While not a stone tile the book would be 1 z-axis point higher than I can place naturally without the stairs.

#2 - I had a parrot downstairs directly underneath the upstairs fireplace. While the parrot was there(not elevated, just placed normally on the floor) I could not place any stone tile in the area directly above the parrot. I removed the parrot, built my fireplace, and put the parrot back afterwards.

#3 - Stone blocks: They have an odd space between them when you stack them so to get rid of these I used a house tool to drop each block down 1 time to get rid of the space. That essentially makes blocks share an area that, maybe, causes them to bounce back and exceed the z-axis limit after maintenance?

It's one of those 3 things, but I don't know which. The tiles were all simply deleted but the items sitting on them were not. Even the 1st floor stone tiles were deleted even though they weren't underneath the work done on the upper floor. It seems all stone tiles were simply deleted regardless of location.

Solution: if a tile is illegal send it to the moving crate. It's not ALWAYS illegal on purpose. I'm off to mine more stone now... I'll rebuild and leave the parrot at the vet to see if it was that 1st. My neighbor has statuettes sitting on his villa roof so I doubt it was the book but will test that next if this vanishes again.

TheDrAJ likes this.
  11. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

Just a quick thought. Is the house properly placed?
    I had a keep go improper for no reason last week.
    (and i still am wondering what to do about it!)

12. Blackie

Blackie Adventurer

You made me check, don't scare me like that :)

Yes, it's properly placed, I placed it a few days ago just to try some pre-built home deco ideas. I missed the old-school housing, I owned an L-Shape many years ago and wanted one again. Here is a picture of the fireplace i built, in case you see anything obvious that is making it vanish. I wanted to put a couple of things on it but will hold off to see if it's still there tomorrow.
    fireplace.jpg

TheDrAJ likes this.