1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Its been over a year

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Leodin, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Leodin

Leodin Guest

Since KR went into Beta an we were promised that the game would be playable .

Well I just logged in for the 1st time since October an KR is as buggy was it was when I loged out in disgust the last time I played on 10/12 .

I still can't move in my house the game is choppy and barely anything has been done about cheaters that are still running rampant from what i've been reading on these boards , except the one guy that had his house burnt down you probly warned him before you did it so the duped / scripted stuff got moved to another safe house .

my question is when are you going to get KR fully functional should I even bother keeping my account open since I haven't played since october ?

O well back to WoW for me .

anyone intrested I'am over on the vek'linish server you know the names I go by .

2. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Well I just logged in for the 1st time since October an KR is as buggy was it was when I loged out in disgust the last time I played on 10/12 .

I still can't move in my house the game is choppy and barely anything has been done about cheaters that are still running rampant from what i've been reading on these boards , except the one guy that had his house burnt down you probly warned him before you did it so the duped / scripted stuff got moved to another safe house .

my question is when are you going to get KR fully functional should I even bother keeping my account open since I haven't played since october ?

anyone intrested I'am over on the vek'linish server you know the names I go by .

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you're going to be close-minded and biased, UO will never be the game for you again.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had very little problem with KR. I have been using it almost exclusively for the past month or two(before that it was half &amp; half 2D/KR). Disclaimer: I don't PvP or camp high-end/peerless mobs or use UOA. I don't think that the computer I'm running KR on is even sold in stores anymore, Spec-wise.

It works great, for me, for hunting Greater Dragons and less. Casting spells is great. Looting is great. Crafting is great. Resource gathering is great. I really like the more realistic terrain/animation graphics. Most of the item graphics are fine. I don't use the legacy typing style because I really like all the macro buttons I can assign, so that causes me to mess up my conversations with people, but that is my choice.

I have usually been pretty good at adapting to changes. If UO turned into something I didn't like and couldn't/wouldn't adapt to, I wouldn't play.

4. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Saying "KR still doesn't work" doesn't help find the problems and get them fixed.
    Many people can run KR smoothly. The developers can't find the problems that cause those who can't run KR smoothly without being able to reproduce them.

What are your system's specs?
    Are your video and sound card drivers up to date?
    Is your video card an integrated intel card?

And cheaters do seem to being cracked down on more lately. Rumor has it that about 60 accounts got banned recently on Catskills.

5. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol. kthxbai

6. KR runs great and looks great on my good computer. It runs mediocre and looks horrible on my slow computer, but still is good enough to serve a purpose (I like to use it when farming animals because of the custom UI features)

I'm really on the verge of switching to KR as my primary client... it could happen in a month or less

Comparing Uo run speed to WoW run speed is apples to oranges, though. That's like comparing their graphics... Uo has nice graphics... WoW has polygons. Nice graphics take a lot of processing power to handle. Polygons don't take as much. It costs a lot to render all those pixel-rich tiles. Well anyway... WoW graphics aren't appealing to me... all I see are polygons.

7. So is this just an attempt to recruit people to play WoW with you? Cause I don't see much else in your post...

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll take pixels over polygons, hehe. =)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take freedom of game play over being told what to do! [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Works for me now.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

As you can see by the replies Leodin, you are quite obviously wrong. KR as a client is fine and there is no problem. How dare you have the chutzpah to come here and state the game is choppy and laggy for you. Listen to all the Comical Ali's who have replied to you. There is nothing wrong with KR. Move along.

12. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

me too...

I played wow for 1.5 yrs... It was fun till I hit the grind portion of the game. Then I recognized it as a treadmil and decided I didn't want to play anymore.

Out of curiousity, I looked at some WoW screenshots on the actual WoW site because I wanted to compare them with the KR screenshots I was taking. I was dumbfounded when it occurred to me that I prefered the graphics of KR to those of WoW. Polygons look fake. Then again, I always liked star fox, so I guess polygons are great for games. They just don't make very pretty screenshots.

Another thing I've noticed with KR graphics. The graphics most definitely scale to your machine. I have a 2 yr old laptop for work. KR runs pretty well on it, but gets a little choppy at times and I have to run it in the lowest graphics settings. I recently bought a new computer with a decent vid card. KR looks so good that I literally ran around luna looking at various buildings just to oogle them. KR runs great on my new machine too. I have no visible slowdown and it runs fast.

To run KR well, you need to either use low system settings or get a nice system.

Also, I think the people who are complaining about fuzzy graphics might have something funny in their graphics settings. The graphics are SHARP if you have em configured right for your monitor and vid card. I haven't done the full test yet, though. I haven't set this up with a huge monitor yet. My tests were all done on a 15" screen, so I thought I should mention that in case I do find fuzzies when I hook up a bigger screen.

13. EV1L-REP

EV1L-REP Guest

My main issue with KR is everything blurs together so much that when I'm running it gives me a headache. I've never had this problem with any other game except KR. And no it's not just blurry because I have a crappy computer.

I have a quad core, 2 gig DDR2 Ram, 8800gts computer. There is no way my video card is limiting me on KR. It's just that it blows.

14. Lord ToXeN

Lord ToXeN Guest

KR works fine for me, and many others. It even works on my Pentium III that was made last millennium (smooth and playable)...

The complaint that KR is no longer playable is now null and void IMO and has been for some time.

KR runs faster than 2D I have tested this running 2D on my faster comp and KR on my PIII side by side, KR is faster (since the last publish). You know how there have been more reports of "speedhacking" of late? Well, thats the nifty new hack known as Kingdom Reborn, get used to it.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

All I'm going to say is KR looks horrible. I prefer 2D over it and will for a very long time till it actually -looks- good.

As far as comparing it to other 3D games.....I've played UO for almost 9 years now. The gameplay doesn't compare to others out there...it's the most diverse. If it -looked- better in 3D....then I'd prolly play KR. As it is, it looks horrid to me, I uninstalld it and won't reinstall it until the time comes about that it looks -good-

16. Guest

Guest Guest

With a 3200 Mhz Comp, 4 Gigs of RAM, Good Video Card, KR is still slower than 2D for me, alot slower at times. Only thing i use KR for is filling bods and doing Heartwood Quests, other than that, i find very little use for it. In 2D, i can run around Luna and barely get lagged by all the vendors. In KR, i get lagged just running around my house. I raced a person twice around Luna, once in 2D, once in KR, me and the other person agree that 2D was much faster.

Tried hunting in Destard with my Samurai/Swordsman in KR before they introduced the Great Wyrms, it was horrible. Would attack a Dragon, have to heal, use my bandies, and it would try to target the Dragon for healing since he was my current target. I'd have to hit a button to target myself with the bandies, but then i was no longer swinging at the Dragon, a real pain in the ass.
    Tried it for a bit with my Mage, would E-Bolt something, go to heal myself, and it would attempt to heal my opponent. Would then have to click on myself to heal, go to cast E-Bolt on my target again, would E-Bolt myself because i was the Current Target. Only template that i think would be viable in KR is a Tamer. I really hate KR's targetting system.

Some stuff looks better in KR, like the Cu Sidhes and WWs (Before they started doing that ******** flying all the time), however most crap looks ridiculous. Like the Reptalon, they turned my fearsome looking Reptalon into Puff the Magic Dragon. Hiryus look pretty bad in it too, especially since they're just painted one color, like my Midnight Blue Lesser Hiryu looks ENTIRELY light blue, when he was mainly Dark Blue in 2D.

17. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

As you can see by the replies Leodin, you are quite obviously wrong. KR as a client is fine and there is no problem. How dare you have the chutzpah to come here and state the game is choppy and laggy for you. Listen to all the Comical Ali's who have replied to you. There is nothing wrong with KR. Move along.

[/ QUOTE ]*points to his first reply*
    Or you can read that one, respond to it, and possibly get your troubles fixed.
    Please ignore the annoying folks on both sides of the table that say either KR is amazing and nobody could possibly have a problem with it or that KR is awful and you're a fool to be trying it. They don't know what they're talking about.
    KR works for many. It doesn't work for some. It didn't work for many, but after a few tweaks it works wonderfully. It didn't work for some, even after a few tweaks.

Typically, however, those who take a little time to discuss the problems they're having with KR either were able to solve their problems or had their problems fixed in patches after their issues were fully detailed and unresolvable through talking with other players.

18. I have a theory that Dell Precision workstations outperform Dell XPS gaming stations when it comes to KR. I have nothing to base this on really... call it a hunch [​IMG]

The precision stations can be the stations designed to do high-end graphics work... the XPS stations seem to be designed to do a lot of polygon rendering and stuff. I guess my hunch is that the way tile-based maps work would make them run better on a machine that's optimized for developing graphics rather than rendering a bunch of polygons. It's a mostly-baseless hunch, so take it at that.

19. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Tried hunting in Destard with my Samurai/Swordsman in KR before they introduced the Great Wyrms, it was horrible. Would attack a Dragon, have to heal, use my bandies, and it would try to target the Dragon for healing since he was my current target. I'd have to hit a button to target myself with the bandies, but then i was no longer swinging at the Dragon, a real pain in the ass.
    Tried it for a bit with my Mage, would E-Bolt something, go to heal myself, and it would attempt to heal my opponent. Would then have to click on myself to heal, go to cast E-Bolt on my target again, would E-Bolt myself because i was the Current Target. Only template that i think would be viable in KR is a Tamer. I really hate KR's targetting system.

[/ QUOTE ]You can adjust the targeting system significantly. By default, it is very difficult to get used to (though I think I saw in a patch note that the defaults were changed... I could be remembering something else though).

Check out http://www.spellweave.com - it's got tips and tricks on how to adjust the UI to your liking.
    Also, if you give more specific specs for your computer (video card type, processor type, and operating system are the big 3), there might be a few directions you can be pointed in to resolve your speed issues.
    Can't resolve your art complaints though - you'll need to direct to EA (well... unless you have UI art complaints as well; we can always mod the UI to look differently without).

20. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

KR works for many. It doesn't work for some.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly right. Some folk however would have you believe that because THEY have no problems with KR, then there ARE no problems with KR.

21. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

My main issue with KR is everything blurs together so much that when I'm running it gives me a headache. I've never had this problem with any other game except KR. And no it's not just blurry because I have a crappy computer.

I have a quad core, 2 gig DDR2 Ram, 8800gts computer. There is no way my video card is limiting me on KR. It's just that it blows.

[/ QUOTE ]Bluewolf10th is running a very similar (perhaps the same) system, and he said it was running fine.

Are you using Vista or XP?
    (trying to figure out what the difference is that is causing issues, not trying to suggest that it's your fault that you're having issues)

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Why does this keep going back and forth? Threads like these are pointless.
    There are two versions of UO to play. If you don't like either one than don't play.
    Otherwise, pick the one you prefer and get over it.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

KR works for many. It doesn't work for some.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly right. Some folk however would have you believe that because THEY have no problems with KR, then there ARE no problems with KR.

[/ QUOTE ]

And some people want you to believe that because there are SOME that have problems with KR, the client should just be dropped regardless of the MANY that run it fine and go out of their way to say it at every opportunity to try to get people not to use it wether there are problems or not. THOSE are the people to be mad at here.

24. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Some folk however would have you believe that because THEY have no problems with KR, then there ARE no problems with KR.

[/ QUOTE ]And some people want you to believe that because there are SOME that have problems with KR, the client should just be dropped regardless of the MANY that run it fine and go out of their way to say it at every opportunity to try to get people not to use it wether there are problems or not. THOSE are the people to be mad at here.

[/ QUOTE ]And both sides need to shut their yaps so those who have problems and want to play KR can get assistance without being scared off to play a different game where they won't have as much fun.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

That's the thing. The people who legitimately want help know where to ask for it.
    The OP here wasn't looking for help just looking to stir the pot and start an arguement.
    It's the same mentality that start the great tram vs fel debates. There's no arguing with those types of people.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

All I'm going to say is KR looks horrible. I prefer 2D over it and will for a very long time till it actually -looks- good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my feelings, and even though I am not really playing in either client, I have been looking at KR with pretty much every patch just to see if anything has changed. Still don't like what I see. [​IMG]

-Skylark

27. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

And some people want you to believe that because there are SOME that have problems with KR, the client should just be dropped regardless of the MANY that run it fine and go out of their way to say it at every opportunity to try to get people not to use it wether there are problems or not. THOSE are the people to be mad at here.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think KR should most definately stay. AT one time I would have said "can it" but now I dont think so.

Its over for KR as far as doing what it set out to do, be a viable REPLACEMENT for 2d ... its just never going to happen. What it is however is a viable ALTERNATIVE for 2d, just as 3d was.

Like 3d, KR is loved by the few and ignored by the masses. All good and well and everyone plays their client of choice. Its about time that everyone accepted that and the 2d crowd stopped baying for KR's blood whilst the KR brigade stop trying to force 2d down the rest of us throats.

I'm sure they can co-exist as 2d/3d did.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my feelings, and even though I am not really playing in either client, I have been looking at KR with pretty much every patch just to see if anything has changed. Still don't like what I see. [​IMG]

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

What sealed it for me was logging into my gorgeously decorated castle and having everything look distorted, not like a hand-made aquariam, hand-made sofa, or any of the nice decorations i made over the years looking like they should look like but like something -else-.

It had lag back then, but that got better, but I couldn't stomach how my home looked in game and I spend a lot of time in my homes.....it matters a lot to me.

29. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

What sealed it for me was logging into my gorgeously decorated castle and having everything look distorted, not like a hand-made aquariam, hand-made sofa, or any of the nice decorations i made over the years looking like they should look like but like something -else-.

It had lag back then, but that got better, but I couldn't stomach how my home looked in game and I spend a lot of time in my homes.....it matters a lot to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a big deal to me too...deco is about the only thing left in UO that I really enjoy, and I have always been charmed by the clever optical illusions people have created over the years with clever stacking and positioning of items to form other items. Players have done amazing things within the limitations of our aging tile based game, to make homes into what they want them to be, and that in itself became a talent/specialty for some. I have looked at many creations which are clever and lovely in 2D, in KR, and been shocked at how bad or just "off" they looked. Even things that are not "item built" tend to cross over poorly from 2D to KR because the proportions, and angles are wrong. KR just still looks so sloppy and unrefined to me. I am not fond of WoW polygons, but I have to say, I prefer them to the mushy, indistinct mess of KR.

-Skylark

30. Guest

Guest Guest

If you don't post what your problem or specs are, noone can actually try and help to solve said problem, now can they?

31. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Comparing Uo run speed to WoW run speed is apples to oranges, though. That's like comparing their graphics... Uo has nice graphics... WoW has polygons. Nice graphics take a lot of processing power to handle. Polygons don't take as much. It costs a lot to render all those pixel-rich tiles. Well anyway... WoW graphics aren't appealing to me... all I see are polygons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like UO and I like UO graphics but I wouldn't make a statement that implies UO graphics being refined versus WoW graphics being somehow unrefined. I think your statement is absurd.

32. Guest

Guest Guest

I like UO and I like UO graphics but I wouldn't make a statement that implies UO graphics being refined versus WoW graphics being somehow unrefined. I think your statement is absurd.

I will.

Look at the ground textures in WoW, especially while flying. The patterns repeat ENDLESSLY. It's all the same tile done OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. There is NO variation. The water looks decent up close, but flying over it you see just how stupidly and fakely repetitive it really is.

Now look at KR's

Yes, there are repeating tiles, but there are quite a few tiles per terrain type scattered randomly giving the ground a MUCH more natural and non-repetitive look.

Oh sure WoW's buildings look a lot bigger, but they too are absurdly repetitive as well.

And while the Night Elf chicks have a nice figure, those hands are FRIGHTENING. I'll take our KR female paperdolls.

There are just a few areas that I'd call KR more refined and a hell of a lot better looking than WoW.

33. Guest

Guest Guest

Another day and another "WoW hate" post. I honestly don't know why you guys hate on WoW so much. It's obvious that 99% of UO players don't like WoW. It's also obvious that 99% of WoW players don't know you exist.

34. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't "hate" WoW. I've played it through two stretches about a year for one stretch and about 8 months the second stretch after a year's break from the first.

There are aspects of an MMOG that WoW does very well.

And there are things about KR as mentioned that are better in my opinion than WoW.

I may pick WOW back up in the future, however I've canceled my account (again) since I'm not actively playing and there's no detriment to NOT paying when I'm not going to play (as opposed to the loss of house and items in UO).

Simply because I like UO better in some ways and can list what they are doesn't mean I hate WoW... it simply means I'm backing up my reasonings on what I think UO does better than WoW.

To label any of my posts as blind "hate" is to not know who I am as a poster and as a person.

35. I never used the word "refined". I was saying when I look at wow screenshots I see polygons... I'm talking about the screenshots they post on their webpage showing new and upcoming content.

When I take screenshots of KR I'm like WOW.

36. Africanus

Africanus Guest

KR is perfect, they should leave it as is and concentrate on expanding the entertainment aspects of the game. That way we don't spend all that time developing something most of the playerbase doesn't want. Even with KR lets face facts, graphics wiseUO does not come close to WoW. They should concentrate development time and money elsewhere and let KR sink or swim on its own.

37. RTLFC

The chat system in KR sucks too much for me to use it. It's actually way worse than 2D chat.

38. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

RTLFC

The chat system in KR sucks too much for me to use it. It's actually way worse than 2D chat.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're referring to the need to hit 'enter' before you type, that can be changed somewhere in 'options'. It annoys me too, but I really like the one button macros i can set for spell casting on the whole keyboard. The ease of having my most popular spells at a single keystroke outweigh the annoyance of forgetting to press 'enter' to speak. If it didn't I would set it to the legacy typing method in 'options'.

39. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

RTLFC

[/ QUOTE ]What is your problem with it?
    If it's just the "press enter to chat", then you can turn that off and use "legacy mode" where it's type to talk.
    If it is something else, there might be ways to solve that problem too... though aside from being able to split your journal into different channels (pro for KR), the inability to log your chat by default (can be modded in [*makes a note to create a mod to add this in*]), the lack of a scroll-looking journal (can be modded in... but it's a pain), and the appearance of any system messages in your journal area only instead of always being in the lower-left corner... I don't see what is different.

40. Tark_Smash

Tark_Smash Guest

The map does not allow for group pvp at all. Maybe if they added a way to log into map like UOAM does it would be a bit better. Until then it is pretty much unplayable.

41. <blockquote><hr>

What is your problem with it?
    If it's just the "press enter to chat", then you can turn that off and use "legacy mode" where it's type to talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't change the font. I can't set my own individual speech color. Speech duration can't be scaled by length. Newer text doesn't push older text into the background. Text can't be clicked to display the paperdoll of the speaker. Emotes don't show overhead. Text can't be highlighted by mousing over it.

KR chat is a total and abysmal failure, and it has nothing to do with pressing enter.

42. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It's obvious that 99% of UO players don't like WoW. It's also obvious that 99% of WoW players don't know UO exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was funny, Mr. Mike Handler.

43. nineninefour

nineninefour Guest

Ahem: STOP pancakes.

The dev team and everyone at EA work very hard, I'm sure. Boo-f*cking-hoo if they didn't deliver you the sparkly new 3d way to waste your life just the way you want it right when you're expecting it. This isn't Burger King, it's UO.

If you're so mad at the dev teams: GET. OUT. or SHUT. UP.

And yeah, there's nothing wrong with KR.

44. Guest

Guest Guest

There is plenty wrong with KR. (There is also plenty wrong with 2d as well or people wouldn't "need" UOA or be posting about the recent rash of client crashes)

There is plenty of room for KR to improve.

There really is NO room for attacking someone because they are having problems.

By the same token, there are a good number of good KR posters in the KR forum on this site who are willing to help anyone and everyone having technical problems with the KR client, however...

WE HAVE TO KNOW WHAT SPECS YOUR RUNNING AND WHAT THE ACTUAL PROBLEM IS

Without those two pieces of information, we cannot help you.

And if you're just someone who has a problem with KR and refuse help and just want to ***** about the client... then we can't help you either, but on an entirely different level.

45. KR runs fine for me, personally. It just needs lots of art fixes (floating tetsubo, lol) and interface/chat work.

46. Guest

Guest Guest

KR runs fine for me, personally. It just needs lots of art fixes (floating tetsubo, lol) and interface/chat work.

Same, I have a pretty long list that I've posted several times in appropriate locations.

My main point though is that if people cqan tell us what specific problem they are having, we can at least say:

1. This is how you fix it

or

2. Send it in as a bug report

KR has been very stable for me, and the UI mods I have installed and tweaked have made it that much better.

There's still a long ways that the client can go though, and I look forward to the next patchurday because of it. And I say that as a supporter and defender of the client. The client is good... it can be better, and I WANT to see it be better because I don't think there's too much of a chance of significantly improving the player base without it (again, not that it's the ONLY thing UO needs, but it is one of a list of many issues).