1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Jewelry / Skills Question

Discussion in 'UHall' started by anvira, May 7, 2009.

1. anvira

anvira Guest

Curious about 'actual skill' vs. 'jewelry skill'. If you are wearing jewelry, specifically what I'm curious about is stealing. As with any skill does the natrual vs. jewelry make a difference in the success rate?

2. No difference at all!

3. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

I must be confused? If you have 80.0 real skill (no jewelry), aren't you be less successful than if you have 100.0 effective skill (real + enhancements)?

Take, for example, Magery. At 80.0 you have no chance what so ever to succeed at casting Earthquake since the minimum Magery to cast Earthquake is 81.0. At 100.0 Magery you have an infinitely greater chance to successfully cast Earthquake. Furthermore, 100.0 Magery is much more successful that 81.0 at successfully casting Earthquake.

At 80.0 Stealing you can steal objects that weigh 7 stone or less whereas at 100.0 Stealing you can grab stuff up to 9 stone.

The Stealing training guides recommend stealing items that weigh 10% of your skill level (70.0-80.0 skill -> 7 stone). That would indicate that Stealing below your skill level would be too easy and wouldn't produce skill gains which would mean: the greater you skill, the greater the success rate. No?

Am I missing something?

4. Arch Magus

Arch Magus Guest

Nothing missing as far as I can tell..

What exactly are you confused about?

5. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Without jewelry I cannot steal in Doom. With jewelry, I can. I only crate thief, so I cant answer about PvP thief.

Borric

6. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Skill gains from all jewels should be removed IMHO but if you have say 20 stealing from ring and brace and have 100 skill you will perform like a 120 thief.

7. I think UOBoy is thinking of talismans. Jewelry and other skill items work just like real skill, with no penalties or increased difficulties.

The talismans however, if I am remembering correctly, will not allow you to do something that you can't do without real skill. If you have a smith or tailor bonus talisman, it allows you a higher chance of success of anything you can make with your real skill. But you cannot make anything that is above your real skill. This is very handy for skill gains since you gain faster from making exceptional items and the exceptional bonuses are great! Hmm... it's been two years since I worked tailoring with a talisman, but that is what I remember.

8. anvira

anvira Guest

NO love for the newbs with only 705 skill points! :(

9. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

This is what I'm confused about...

The OP asked "As with any skill does the natrual vs. jewelry make a difference in the success rate?"

10. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I think that reply was meant to mean that X points in a skill is X points, regardless if they are real or partly from equipment.

With most skills, this is true - some skills have specific limitations (example: needing 70/90 reall skill in weapon and tactics for most special moves), but otherwise are equivalent (if you have 120 Swords, 40 of it from equipment, you can't use the 90-requirement special move, BUT still get the Hit and defense modifiers that someone gets for 120 points, all real, in Swords)

11. Thanks, Basara. Sometimes I, you, anyone, knows something in the back of their mind and forget the exceptions. You did a better job explaining.