1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Joann

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Piper Everwood, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have done everything possible the game has said to do. I have put him on ingore. I have pmed u. I have paged gms. I have like almost 50 screenies at this point. I have moved my house twice. I recall out when u finds me. It is to the point i am afraid to log into the game bacuse of this. I just want to know why this kind of harresemnt and stalking is allowed in game when u have minors who play it? I have tried everything. Even in rl my internet provider is locking into tracing his ip and taking steps against him and the cops are looking into cyberstalking charges. Yet EA/Mythic whoever aloows this to keep going on. I dont understand why. Please tell me why me the vitim must be the one being punished for this?

2. It really is beyond bad, I mean she can't even really play the game anymore because they guy has learned where all her stable runes pop so he waits there waiting for her to come try to get a pet or stable a pet. We all have to indivually recall around because if she gates he'll jump the gate and follow.

3. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

What kind of a psycho is allowed to get away with something like that. Good luck in getting the authorities to help...they seem to be stepping up a bit more since that little girl killed herself awhile back over that family that was cyber bullying her. My thoughts are with you

4. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Seriously, why do you post this.

There is no actual harm being done. I have followed people around on my res killer archer for hours at a time, tracking them from red healer to red healer constantly killing them. Is that cyber bullying too? This is a fking game.

If he is on ignore what can he possibly do? Spell out naughty words with boxes outside of your house? Stand next to you typing stuff you can't read?

Why don't you just turn the greif around on him? Have your guildies open a gate to felucca island spot where he can't run out of as a ghost and see if he follows, if he does follow then just kill him?

When he spells out stuff with boxes just stealth out and take them?

I will laugh out loud if a police officer actually does something about "cyber stalking" on Ultima Online. This isn't the netherlands.

5. Im done. its asses like u that give uo a bad name. im and not gonna keep defending myself. Excuse the hell out of me for trying to get help. Excuse me for freakin living.

6. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

There are avenues created to get help for ACTUAL harassment. Posting on the stratics boards making your issue public is going to help? Please.

7. Sheridan

Sheridan Guest

Though not exactly tactful, Lynk has an excellent point. There are a number of other avenues through which you can seek help, Piper. I know you've said you've gone through a bunch of them, but posting the problem on a public forum in the hopes that someone might see it is likely not the best solution. Have you tried emailing her directly? Sending her a PM?

8. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Lynk, These players are going out of their way to cause the OP the maximum hassle and anxiety they can. Killing them a few times isn't going to help. The OP has followed the instructions for dealing with these players and is still being harassed. EA should have acted a long time ago. Just because you wouldn't mind an entire guild making your UO time a misery, doesn't mean another player should put up with it. Their behaviour is unacceptable, and I'd suggest that if the victim was a female friend or relative of yours, you'd have a different perspective...

Even if the OP was to turn a blind eye or somehow stop them stalking her, what about their next victim and the next? You'd rather see the OP quit than a few turds banned? C'mon, that's crazy.

Wenchy

9. Noobish Noob

Noobish Noob Guest

Lynk...
    One can only wonder how you will feel when the day comes that a female close to you asks for help like this and runs into someone as supportive as you.

10. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Piper, ignore the less constructive posters here. You have every right to expect these players to get a ban for what they're doing. If a ban can be issued for merely saying a URL in game, then I'm darn sure these guys deserve the same for their activities.

I've been stalked too, so I know what you're going through. If you can get all your friends to keep paging on them, keep asking them to stop so it's in your log and keep the pressure on EA, I'd expect that a civilised GM would realise how this behaviour is affecting you.

If there's anything I can do to help please let me know. I'll happily come and help you deal with these idiots in any way I can.

Wenchy

11. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Very well put. Someone, whoever they may be, should help this person. Cyber stalking/bullying has become a very serious issue and should be dealt with either by EA or the local authorities PERIOD! And yes, police ARE getting involved now to try and stop the harassment before it causes yet another person to either take their own life or be killed by some psycho.

12. Divster

Divster Guest

Nonsense Lynk these forums are a place to discuss issues related to uo and behaviour like this that is going unchecked is CLEARLY an issue that needs to be addressed asap. leaving aside for the moment whether these things have happened as described or not, if she has tried the proper avenues and recieved no help or reply then she is well within her rights to try and bring this to the attention of the rest of us. As you pointed out this is a game, so why should someone be forced to put up with behaviour like this?

At the bare minimum some kind of acknowledgement of the receipt of a complaint of this issue should be issued, otherwise ea are forcing players to air thier problems in other means. Customer relations in this game are beyond a joke especially for the price we are paying for it and its about time something was done about it.

13. Piper,

I am not sure which shard you play on, but if you want to change shards I (and my guild alliances) can help you set up on a new shard with a house and whatever else you need. I think any of us here (besides Lynk) would be glad to do the same.

I would also suggest setting up house in Felucca... if he harasses you there we have many friends who can make it very difficult for him to do much besides walk around saying ooOOo oo.

PM one of us if you want to try out a new shard, even temporarily.

14. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I fail to see how anything this person is doing is negatively impacting her game play. Ok, so he's ignored. What can he do? Stand next to her? Stand outside of her house? Stand by her stable recall runes?

You people seriously believe that this person should be banned for that, or arrested?

All of you need thicker skin, this is a game. People will try to greif you, trammel is a safe haven for greifers.

*Edit* Also, if these people read stratics all your post did is hugely encourage them. They are laughing so hard in real life right now plotting up new ways to get a rise out of you.

The only thing that she has mentioned that is actually bannable is renaming his pets to bypass the ignore filter and use profanity. If that happens, hit an all names macro, and page for harassment so the GM gets the journal log.

All of this "cry for me" crap is rediculous. If this stuff seriously gets to you than you have much bigger issues than a "UO Stalker".

On a side note, I'd be happy to help. If you play great lakes PM me piper and I will gladly set the trap I mentioned in my first post.

15. Piper's gotten a lot of support both publically and privately and I am very grateful to those people, so thank you.

What I don't understand though is this segment of the population we have that seems to think it is the victim's fault. First of all, you can't imagine the anxiety and distress it causes someone to be constantly harassed and stalked unless its happened to you or at least someone very close to you. Secondly, she is the VICTIM. Why should she be the one to have to do all the work to stop it? Why should she have to even bother with ignore lists, recalling away, moving her house, watching where she goes, telling her friends not to open gates to her house for fear of gate jumpers, changing her appearance, name, etc. Why is it the victim's responsibility to do anything more than report it and trust it will be taken care of? Its punishing the victim for being victimized, as if the victim is the one that has done something wrong, while the stalker continues to run around doing as he pleases. Is it such a novel and unusual idea that hey, maybe we should punish the STALKER for stalking? I mean doesn't that sound even a little more fair than punishing the victim? Yeah maybe it takes a few minutes out of a GM's day to review the complaint and take action, but hey isn't that what they get paid to do anyway? Besides, I'd rather take that few minutes to handle it than watch for DAYS while someone I care about has to go through constant, nonstop stress and anxiety. She gave EA/Mythic the opportunity to handle it privately according to posted policies and they did nothing. So yeah, she went public in the hopes that public outcry will force EA/Mythic into taking some action. Its a sad day when it has to go to this level to get customer support out of Customer Support Staff.

16. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I like how you make it sounds like some noble quest to "stick it to EA".

Here are the facts. What they are doing is most likely (unless Piper failed to mention something) not anywhere near harassment. Following someone around in game is not harassment. Waiting for someone at a recall rune location is not harassment.

Please copy and past something out of the TOS that indicates they've made a violation.

17. Ok what would you do if this was ur daughter/wife/sister. who was being harressed and stalked for not wanting to date someone off the interent. And they are stressed out and upset. Would u just stand there and say oh sorry hunny get thinker skin? Weather it is a game or not. It has crossed out of game into messagners. yes i have them blocked. but my point is how far will this sicko go? and how many women is he allowed to stalk and haresse because he cant get what he wants? how many women have to be upset and stressed by him before something is done. I know this is a game. trust me. My char acutaly has stalker waiting in line. Im used to it and i dont normally care but to me he has crossed the line and will not back off. So i am not some wimp. I am used to being hated on shard. Thats who my char is. No biggie. But when it is this bad. that i have to hide and keep moving. nad he takes it out of game into messanger. That is crossing the line and yes I want something done in game about. Excuse me I am tried of his stalking and excuse me i at least expcet the gms to actually look into not just ingore it. so kiss my butt lynx. its poeple like u that allows society as a whole to allow women to be abused and stalked and tormented.

18. So some guy harassing a woman because she won't abandon her family and children and move in with him, using every internet communication resource he can get his hands on including UO, that's no big deal? Sexual harassment is fine with you, huh? I weep for the females in your life that, god forbid, might one day try and turn to you for some support.

19. Lucy of Kenton

Lucy of Kenton Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

As always i agree 100% with wenchy
    piper this is not acceptable. most of us support you

20. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

Good luck, Piper.

Unlike others, I'll trust that the situation must be pretty bad for you to make a public post about it, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not just seeking attention or throwing a pity party.

21. I agree with Lynk, I posted in other thread about the same thing. Something just keeps telling me she is crying out for attention, hense why ANOTHER thread was started. Why not just use one of the many options available to get ahold of Joanne... Stratics would be the last place to try and track her down or get her to read this.
    I've been in the boat you are in Piper, I've told you this, a few simple changes and I won. Stop dwelling on it, do what you have to do and move along, in the end you win and can enjoy your game time again.
    If you choose to sit around and wait for someone to take care of the situation then that in my opinion is your own stupidity.
    Enough said on my end, im tired of reading about it.

22. Thank you to all those who suporrt me. I am not a cry baby in anyway i am very used to being harseed and stalked as I am a rper and my char is hated. But when this has nothing to with ingame rp or issues but the fact that i wont leave everything to be with him in rl. That is crossing a line. And because he is using uo to do it yea I at least expect it looked into and somehow stopped.

23. Change shards.
    Or quit.

This person isnt going to stop. Banning wont work. We all know its easy to get a new account. Maybe hes even harrassing off a junk account now.

He has gotten under your skin. He won. He effectively ruined you game and now is impacting your life.

If you dont see how your feeding his need for negative attention, hes going to keep sucking it out of you.

How did the relationship go sour anyway?

24. Divster

Divster Guest

Why is it that people assume that just because its a game, or because its online normal social decencies should no longer apply? This is the main reason there is so much hatred and aggresivness in posts and related interaction online, there is a sense of detatchment and little fear of retribution for your actions in your online persona and you feel free to act in a way which would be unacceptable in real life. Fine this is a game and a game in which we are encouraged to fight each other, steal from each other and generally live as we see fit, but at no point in this game has it ever been promoted that people should seek enjoyment in making other people feel threatened to the degree that such harassment as we are seeing here entails. The actions reported are against the tos, against any decent persons moral instsincts and should be treated as such.

If you have sufficiently thick skin not to feel threatened by such behaviour you should be sufficiently thick skinned not to feel bothered by this persons call for help, so instead of judging others by your "superior" emotional detatcment how about just ingoring it?

Again this is a game as has been stated, set up for peoples enjoyment and relaxation. Anyone who seeks to deliberately and maliciously harass another person in order to diminish that enjoyment should be removed

25. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I would tell my sig other to put them on ignore, and open up a gate to my house. And every time it happened, rinse and repeat.

Again - I fail to see how this is harassment. You have him blocked, so he has no way of communicating with you. And let me get this straight. He tried to message you over icq or some other messaging service and you want EA/Mythic to ban is Ultima Online account? You actually expected that to play a factor in your page?

Making sexual requests after complaining about being sexually harassed?

Show me something that is actually abuse or harassment and I will show you empathy.

26. And, everytime you page it is "looked into" and yet they find no reason to ban him, so maybe it is you who is putting to much into it?

27. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I actually have a restraining order against a man I work with on the base. The base let him get away with stalking me to the point of me having to go to court to acquire that restraining order. Granted it is a RL situation, but it seems always the same to me in that women are allowed to be victimized. When it crosses the line, it should be dealt with and it seems in this case it has far crossed that line. Support is what this woman needs, not a tongue lashing. Lynk, I think your "sig" if you will, says it all about you. I pee excellence??? That is how all those men on the base felt (who think so highly of themselves) UNTIL I was granted a restraining order and could slap it down in their faces. Talk about sweet justice.

28. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Here's the difference.

Real Life - No ignore button
    Ultima Online - Ignore Button

Get it?

And geez, My sig says "I pee excellence" It's a movie quote. It's not like my sig says "I pee on broads' foreheads". Just because I think this thread is a waste of time and an unjustified claim of harassment doesn't mean I'm a woman hater.

29. Good for you. No one takes it seriously till people are harmed normally. In a game you can quit. I take IM and ICQ seriously and MMOPG with my kids. To many freaks that think my cartoon boobs are real. Kind of sad and sickening.

But human beings can be monsters and idiots. A bad combo.

30. Pm me his ICQ or outside contact info send it to everyone who has offered help we can all say hello to him for you

31. Fine screw it he wins. once again the abuser wins. There was no relationship i shot him down and that how it all started. But im down. Ok im broke and down. Fine let him foloow me haressme and stalk me. I really dont care anymore. I give up. As in rl the victim is the one made to take the punishment. but whatever. im done. i will not post all the details on the forums as so many others have witnessed and been involded in it. but i know its worng and it crossed the line. I have never posted for help before. i do not want attention. i want it stop. but whatever ill deal with being haressed on a dialy basis. will that make u happy?

32. Parson

Parson Guest

I know of someone that went through a similar situation a few years ago and she was also ignored. The guy found out where she lived and he beat up so bad she was in the hospital for nearly a month. He was arrested and put in jail but not till it was to late. So yeah this is bad and should not be ignored. Stalking is stalking no matter where it happens.

33. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

It's not just your sig Lynk...it's also what you say and so far you have all but said that this woman's feelings are worthless. Well let me tell you from experience they are VERY valid and to have someone like you tell her any different shows your character.

34. Reminder, this is UO, not RL... you have the option to hit the X in the upper right corner of your computer !!!

35. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Oh so she should just not be able to play because some ass is harassing her...now we get it! What were we thinking????????? Ya got that Piper? Just go on and close your account and turn off your machine because some maniac decided to target you. That is so blatantly arrogant it makes me sick!

36. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

While I am about to become unpopular on my beloved shard I am going to speak up about this one time and not discuss it further with anyone.

I cannot imagine that passing along information on where to go to address this situation two days ago has been sufficient in waiting for an outcome. I know we all want satisfaction immediately when we have problems but if that were the case then it is only one sided with no investigation done.

I asked privately in hopes of helping in any way to help Piper come to a resolution. I went to her original home and I was not happy at what I saw at first. I'm glad Piper changed it but it still did not sit well with me and shows there may very well be two sides to everything. Going to Luna is everyone's right but making contact with the harassers guild mates did not appear to me to be the best way to avoid said person. Still, I do not condone or agree with anyone being harassed anywhere for any reason.

I hate being in this position but I will not read issues like this and not reiterate that there are proper channels to go through and only when they have been exhausted beyond paging an in game GM should further steps be taken. It causes people to make judgements and determinations based on too little facts. That is never good no matter what society in game or out that we live in.

37. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Antzy and Link, I really wish either or both of you would stop and think before you open your mouth and let your belly rumble...You could just have ignored this thread and left Piper alone, instead you're here flinging mud around. Shame on the pair of you. Like she needs that sort of attitude flung at her.

UO and RL are not so separate that a determined stalker can't cross from one to the other. In RL we can get court orders, but in UO we depend on EA doing their job to protect their users. Not hand the servers over to whoever harassses best and letting gangs of brats cause grief to their fellow players. What sort of example does this set to other players? I'll tell you. It says in Tram you can do what the heck you like to make someone miserable and the company you pay for that experience will turn a blind eye. How kind of them.

Yet if Piper shouted out a URL a few times at WBB she'd likely be banned the same night.

Shameful.

Wenchy

38. K let me spell this out for you. If someone in a GAME was harassing me so much that it "stressed" me out IRL they yes I would totally shut it off and not log on. Common sense? Heard of that?
    You keep feeding her the attention she is so deserving of, stand by her side and when she gets bored with it or things don't go her way then you can also be there with the shoulder she will need to cry on :).

39. Well if she paged on him like she has said then if he was "honestly" doing something wrong he would of been banned? What is it you are missing here?
    I just don't understand how so many people can make this game thier lives, seems a little foolish to me, but hey if it floats your boat then more power to ya I suppose.

40. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Give me a break. She brought it to the public forum so she should expect to hear from both sides - the people who believe whatever is posted on stratics and the people who see through the bull****.

The mod posted above, there are 2 sides. I can state with 100% certainty that she is not "Miss Innocent being harassed unfairly".

41. kittykat

kittykat Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Okay everyone, I think it's time to stop this one - there is just too much going on here, back and forth fighting and this really isn't the place for it.

To the OP: Posting to the boards here in the hopes of getting the attention of the community rep is haphazard at best. As you've seen, it also brings you under the scrutiny of every other poster to the boards, and you may never get the attention of the person you wanted to direct it to. Please try other avenues of contacting UO officials in an effort to get your concerns resolved (including emailing Joanne and gmreviews, although forgive me, I don't happen to have the emails handy atm). Good luck with it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.