1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Joining NPC Thief Guild?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kiwillian, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Kiwillian

Kiwillian Guest

I seem to be having trouble doing this. I happened to stumble upon a Thief Guildmaster, so I tried to join. I said "<name> join" and he tells me it costs 500 gold but I cannot drop the gold on him. Whenever I try it just goes back into my bag. Am I missing something? I thought the other requirements didn't apply on SP.

I paged a GM but the heat death of the universe will probably occur before they show up :(

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

If I remember right some of the are bugged. I seem to remember the one in Cove works.

3. Kiwillian

Kiwillian Guest

Oh ok, I'm in ummm, where am I? ... Jhelom. Dunno if I can get to Cove easily. I'll try that or maybe some other towns.

4. RichDC

RichDC Guest

I had problems with the one in Jhelom, then went to cove and Wazam!

5. Kiwillian

Kiwillian Guest

I moongated to minoc and walked to Cove and, just like Rich said, Wazam!

Thanks!

(Now I have to walk back lol)

6. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Happy to help a new thief on his way.

7. Kiwillian

Kiwillian Guest

There are several aspiring thieves in NEW right now :)

8. RichDC

RichDC Guest

I couldnt join NEW i cant sit back and wait for skills before i start thieving!!!

PvP means no new :(

9. Kiwillian

Kiwillian Guest

:(

Which guild did you join? Or are you freelance :)

Most people I've seen graduate from NEW in the few days I've been here seem to go to the "good" side - GIL, CWS etc.

10. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Im a freelance thief for hire :p

So long as theres loot glory and honour im there!

11. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I've been considering giving everything away and starting out as a newbie thief...sounds fun. Erasing Speedy and all

12. RichDC

RichDC Guest

It was fun for me the first few months, but now im tripping over other thieves...Im now in progress of transition into a detective to hunt the pesky...me's!

13. Goron

Goron Guest

you can join NEW and still go 'bad', just don't let Bruin or Hoffs trick you into thinking otherwise. I was NEW then went straight to PKing. Do your best to interact with Shalimar, she is the 'neutral' one and a great person.

If I could remember what our (TnT) new guild forum url was (old one died), I'd point you that way as we have some resources available to new players that don't want held back by player interaction restrictions- but I still advise joining NEW. Sure, you can't steal from players, but you can train in safety with many resources available to you.

14. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

If we can talk the developers into reintroducing grey status, I think there would be a lot of players who would move to Siege to help counter the large numbers of thieves we have. Personally, I'd love to see it...la

15. RichDC

RichDC Guest

The beauty of this will be im not going to leave the thieves guild, so once my name is known among the unscrupulous...i can be attacked as freely as they can :p

I do have a question on forensic eval...does it tell me if a player is in the thieves guild or is that a myth i made up?

16. TheScoundrelRico

Yes it does, but here's the thing...you only need to allocate .1 skill points in the skill to effectively use it...la

17. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Sorry...let me make sure i heard this right...so apart fromt he tilte of Grandmaster detective there is no point taking forensic up to gm...or even past .1?

18. TheScoundrelRico

At this time, this is correct...la

19. RichDC

RichDC Guest

So, how effective...i ask you as youll be a "mark" :p... would

Detect hidden 100
    Tracking 99.9
    alchemy 100
    ninja 110
    fencing 105
    poisoning 100
    tactics 90
    forensic eval .1

I only have 705 skill points atm...should i drop poisoning to 80 and take fencing to 120 ninja to 115?

20. Goron

Goron Guest

Interesting template...
    Seems like it could be a lot of fun. And very versatile... that alchemy will be bloody useful for heals and bombing. what do you need 110 ninja for? As you have it, I'd do 109.9 ninja and 100 tracking for optimal Death Strike dmg with track bonus.

21. Goron

Goron Guest

not to mention, doesn't human joat 20 give you 20 forensic? why drop it to .1? or do I not understand something

22. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Deathstrike and animal form where 2 main reasons for ninja, i know how those pesky thieves operate and i know full well they can change form and be gone like a flash!

Aye i thought the extra 30%EP would be nice especially as im guessing(i never did quite get the thief finished to know) 50%EP rings are expensive.

Plus it would help me raise my poisoning and allow me to make some cash :)

Thats another question i have, Buying regs from the vendors is out of the question, how much is the going rate on regs atm??

23. TheScoundrelRico

You actually set the skill to zero, select a player to use the skill on. If you get a gain (ei .1 gain) that player is in the thieves guild...la

24. TheScoundrelRico

I hate to give out secrets to the thief trade, but I will for this thread. As a long time thief, there are many ways around getting poisoned if you stock you pack well. Mages have always been the template that have given me fits to escape. Para although you can get away with use of a trapped crate, the damage you do to yourself when escaping over time will end up killing you.

Just a tip...la

25. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Hmm...

Now i gta think more :(

Ah just thought :) can you deathstrike with a mage weap?

26. Goron

Goron Guest

Most thieves do not do that, though.
    Not to mention, with his set up, The poison is almost only there to MAKE you run- and take the DS damage. I can assure you his poison will win out in a standing fight, assuming he carries poison pots and has a repoison weapon macro. Add in an explosion pot or two and I can assure you, no matter how many cure pots or orange petals you carry, you will be hurting. The poison also acts as a deterrent to keep you from egg bombing instantly. That can give him one 'free' reveal or just keep you visible in the first place longer.
    Lets add int he fact that pretty soon potions will work very differently... Your cure pot may not be so valuable anymore once you become immune to it....

27. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Back to a previous question, as alchemy is a deffinate for me...at least for now.

Where would be a good place to stock up on regs???

(bear in mind atm im still a thief so no killing of mobs)

28. TheScoundrelRico

The key for the thief is to get away. They will not be sticking around long enough to take multiple hits from a dexxer. If the thief catches on that they have detect and tracking, they will hightail it to the nearest gate, and get the hell out of Dodge to break the tracking...la

29. Goron

Goron Guest

faction vendors.
    buy their entire stock. wait 20 min, buy stock, wait 20 min, buy stock. they will eventually grow the amount offered to the point that you can buy hundreds of each reg at a time before waiting for the next respawn.

30. Nickster

Nickster Guest

buying from vendors needn't be thst bad, each time you but they respawn double the amount, find a low price town and just pop back every 15 20 mins and buy em :)

31. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Arent siege vendors ridiculously expensive?