1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Tech Help] Just a reminder folks... drivers and DirectX

Discussion in 'UO Enhanced Client Discussion' started by Basara, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

1. Make sure you have the most up to date driver for your video processor. It DOES make a difference.

2. DirectX hasn't been updated through Windows Update since about the time Windows XP was released. Most of you WILL need to go download the most recent Direct X End-User Runtime from Microsoft's web page, as they update that Direct X EURT about every 2-4 months. Getting that up to date will often have even a bigger impact than the driver.

Trust me - KR looked a 1000 times crappier than it really was, until I did the Direct X update. SA will probably have similar issues, especially for those who never tried KR (as many KR players got into the habit of routinely checking microsoft for a directX update)

2. What is the latest version of Direct X, and what is the easiest way to check our version?

3. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Guest

That is what I was thinking...the normal command to check directx didn't work on vista...or maybe I am typing it wrong.

4. Wolfways

Wolfways Guest

Your version is on the bottom of the system tab in a dxdiag.

5. I've got Windows Vista... it's not in the system tab. But thanks to Wolfways, I did find it by typing dxdiag.exe into the search bar. My version is DX 10... wish it gave more info, such as when it was last updated.

6. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

also have Vista (harder to find things, isn't it?) anyway, poking around, would the hilighted part be the latest update to the driver?

[​IMG]

7. Hmm.. that must be the latest version info. Mine says 10.1, and I know that I have version 10 loaded... and since you have version 9 loaded, you need to update.

I just checked Microsoft's home page, the DirectX links you to version 9.26.1590

Not sure, but I seem to recall that DirectX 10 is only included with Vista (and now Windows 1).

8. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

yeah, I wondered about that too, since the first page says this:

[​IMG]

9. Wolfways

Wolfways Guest

Ah sorry about that. I know nothing about vista...actually i don't know anything about pc's in general :p

10. No problem... turns out, updating Vista to the latest version isn't as easy as it should be... even determining if we have the latest version isn't so straight forward.

11. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I have to advise caution in this process I think.. make sure beforehand that your graphics card and such can handle DX10 before installing it.. I haven't personally seen what can happen to a system that has it installed that can't handle it, but i'd expect it to not be pretty.