1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Just Curious...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Modoc, Mar 12, 2015.

?

In UO's Current State would you recomned this Game to a Friend or Family

Poll closed Apr 12, 2015.
  1. Aye

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. Nay

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. Modoc

Modoc Journeyman

I'm trying to ask the Community as a whole to Honestly answer this Question, Do you believe we could attract and retain more players if there was less Vulgarity and Bullying in General Chat. ...and please don't misunderstand, I'm not talking bout good old Trash Talk, I'm referring Blatant Vulgarity, Bullying and Harassment. Thank You for your time.

2. Lythos-

Lythos- Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I'm just going to tell it like it is.

I've got a preteen that plays a wide variety of multiplayer Steam games. They say the same things that you see on general chat, even kids younger than 10. This IS the language of the new generation of gamers. I'm not saying it's not annoying or might be offensive but imo people need to grow some thicker skin and look the other way if they wish to keep playing multiplayer games.

3. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I voted no, but my vote had nothing to do with gen chat.

To answer your question, no, i dont think we could "attract and retain more players if there was less vulgarity"
    I dont think many people quit becuase of simply that.
    I will give you that the state of gen chat is a symptom of bigger, real problems like lack of cheat prevention, low sub number, lack of resources for content development etc etc.

I have to agree with Lythos on this one. If you play multiplayer games its just something thats there. Yes, computer mmos are policed to some extent, but that still leaves basically all console games, in which voice chat is a free for all. actually im not sure if voice chat in games like wow is monitored either.

#3 Smoot, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Acid Rain likes this.
  4. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

i voted no, but that is cuz i'm selfish, and seriously do not want to share my uo with family, or friends.

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I voted No.

Not necessarily because of chat... But for starters no one I know IRL plays video games. I work in a professional atmosphere amongst a bunch of folk who's daily highlight might be watching some sports on TV but mostly they are too busy checking the stocks and such hanging at the bar and raising kids to care about playing a video game.

I guess most folk I know are too busy IRL to want to join me in a fictitious one. And My family either hate UO or don't play video games.

I play other games and always compare them to UO vocally in the chats and such... most folk when I talk about UO have some sort of story about why they hated it and left or they are amazed someone still plays it. Or some dabbled in free shards too much and won't return to the "real" UO.

The one fellow who posted about UO somewhere got it right when he said that a whole lot of former players won't come back .... the Divorced UO. With such passion that NOTHING could bring them back. I think sometimes this game somewhat brings that on itself.

But I think my main reasons are "Origin Store"... they seem to have some issues with identity theft. Don't really want to recommend my friends risk their banks with that! The lack of in or out of game customer support... and the account mis-management system.

6. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I voted nay for pretty much the same reasons.

Have there been a few people quit because of general chat? Probably. But I doubt in any significant numbers to make a difference. Its a drop in the ocean compared to why players quit/why we cant attract new players compared with duping, scripting, cheat programs, zero customer service, an antiquated subscription, a 15 year old set of graphics. EA's lack of ambition for the game etc etc

Those are the issues that have over the yrars driven away the playerbase and failed to attract new ones.

General chat is just another small pimple on the acne covered face of todays UO.

Smoot likes this.
  7. Flagg

Flagg Sage

You can't be serious.
    Out of all the different reasons as to why you would not recommend this 18 year old subscription based MMO game to a friend, you've somehow managed to pick up something as eternal and inevitable as " vulgarity" in general chat? : D

You get to say and hear terrible things in Internet. All the time. Video games, MMOs have good measure of toxic vulgarity going all the time. If you want something more depressing, go check out any comment section of any major main stream news outlet that has yet to close the comment section from public

If you choose to make some sort of an armageddon out of it every single time somebody says " omg noob go die in a fire", then I promise, your world is going to end every single day.

You can ignore general chat. You can put people you don't like on ignore list. You can stop reading general chat for as long as it remains extra stupid. Beauty of spending your free time in Internet is the ease with which you can simply walk away from more or less every single goddamned situation that fails to please you. It takes a few mouse clicks to completely erase a character from your life.

I dislike it how easily people have come to stamp this and that as harassment over net. Real, actual RL harrasment one can't escape without it affecting one's life in some significant fashion...that is awful, awful thing. Happily using same stamp over something as insignificant as some general chat bs feels. to , me, much more insulting than I'd be if you simply suggested that I should stuff something with spikes in my nether and then go die in a fire.

#7 Flagg, Mar 12, 2015
    hen and Spock's Beard like this.
  8. THP

THP Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

the kids use general to try get some attention thats all......i find it funny rather than rude...even if the words can be crude....lets be honest back in the day if GMs u would be jailed and 3 jails would mean a ban....so nobody did it back then.....its funny how they whinge and whine.....seroiusly i think most of them would last 5 seconds with an old school pvp'er....its about all they are good at doing.....smack talking!!!

9. Varingian

Varingian Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran The Squirrel Empire

I voted yes. I'd recommend this game to friends and or family. The poll seems a bit disconnected from the premise/question in the OP though. Fairly certain my friends and family are well grounded and mature enough to "survive" a pack of potty mouthed cretins without suffering any permanent psychological damage or throwing themselves in front of a train because some clown called "d!k dAnGlE" or what not said to.

10. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

I don't understand why so many even bother to stay in "General Chat"

I have never ever kept it open at anytime since it was created. I've used it to buy or sell something and that's it. Then I turn it back off.

If it's so annoying, leave it.

11. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I really don't care about it to be honest. If I walk down the street in some places I hear kids shouting swear words and being rude so I'm used to it. Seeing it in a video game is the least of my problems.

I've tried to recommend this game to many of my other video gaming friends. Most of them load it up and laugh at me. Then they laugh even more when they find out you have to pay a subscription.

kulder likes this.
  12. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron

I can't really vote yes or no on this even taking ALL factors into consideration, not just the gen chat nonsense.

There are times when I really love UO and would gladly recommend it to people. The simple fact is that even now, 17 years later, there is still nothing truly like UO. You can be a hero or a villain, a warrior or a crafter, an adventurer, a homemaker, or a banksitter. You can play alone or you can find some people to play with. You can build communities and hold events. You can do anything or nothing. I've halfway considered setting up my mom on UO because she's older and kinda lonely, and UO has a lot of people around her age these days and lots to do. (God knows the cat I gave her, whom I have dubbed Chupacabra, did not work well... but that's another story.)

UO is maybe possibly kinda sorta getting a boost now... we are supposedly getting a new expansion (an EXPANSION!!! 17 years into the game!!!), they are supposedly working on fixing account management and making this that and the other better...

But I've heard all that before. There have been a lot of disappointments and broken promises along the way.

There are are times when I really hate UO and kinda wish they'd put it out of its misery already. It's not the chat... though I do agree that the lack of any kind of conduct enforcement is detrimental to the game. Rather, it's loads of little things that have added up over time. My list of such issues is likely not the same as any single other player's list (and would result in a total thread derail), but anyone who's been playing a long time has their grievances.

Which is why we need new players so badly. We need people who haven't watched the last 17 years of ups and downs and been jaded and disillusioned as so many of us have. People who haven't left and come back and ever teeter on the brink of leaving again because of that disillusionment. People who have never been here at all, to whom it is all new and amazing. People who don't watch a video announcing a new expansion and rather than get excited just regard it with a sort of weary, skeptical dread. But UO is such an unfriendly game for new players.

So my vote is 'maybe, with strong reservations'.

13. Deraj

Deraj Sage

The poll question makes no sense. You are essentially trying to ask if UO is unable to retain players because of the "vulgar" behavior of a few, but considering that the poll question is completely different, and considering it is only going to be answered by decades old vets who clearly haven't been scared off by mean-sounding words, the results you will get will be completely useless.

The UO community, the actual community not represented by U.Hall pettiness is actually very good, and will go out of its way to help new players. The reason this game isn't getting new players is not because of something as absolutely petty as this, but because this is an old game that is in need of better gameplay, an updated and *polished* client, as well as better better GM service.

As a final note, I will say suggesting bans (which is, in the grand scheme, what you want) as a solution to nearly problem is probably the most simplistic and foolhardy way to tackle that problem. There are other ways we can address this. Maybe we can ask the devs to consider giving players the ability to create as well as moderate their own chat channels, for example. I dunno. Something. We can change the code, but we can't change human nature.

Oh, and I answered "aye" on the poll, because despite whatever problems I might perceive in UO, it is still unique among all other MMOs and arguably still one of the best sandboxes available.

14. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

I'm really not gonna vote one way or the other....but I do want to say...it's not UO....it's society today...and that, I think, is the bottom line.

My youngest just started middle school....and, even though I heard colorful language coming out of the mouths of ELEMENTARY school children...it's more prolific in middle school.

While I stand outside the school waiting for my daughter...I catch snippets of conversations from the other kids...11, 12 and 13 year olds dropping the F-bomb like it's the coolest thing ever. Talking like little *ganstas*.

Unfortunately we can't shield ourselves from every bad or negative thing in this world...it's rampant everywhere.

15. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No. It's an internet problem (and always will be) not a UO problem. Chat could use an upgrade to make it easier to report/filter/ignore people though.

16. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I voted no, but not because of the general chat.
    The game is too complex, has no new player experience to guide them through it, the odds are way too stacked against them in terms of equipment, resources and economy.
    It can be extremely frustrating to try to start and not be granted even proper starting gear, nor having any explanation on how the equipment properties work together, what is good for a fighter, what is good for a mage.

They're better off playing games that offer better guidance for new players.

17. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Your lucky if it only becomes prolific in middle school, where I live it's actually common to hear kids saying things like that as young as 5 or 6 in some cases. I blame the parents personally. When a kid is that young, there's practically no other way for them to learn those words unless they hear their parents saying it, or are allowed to watch things on TV with lots of swearing, which is also the parents choice to let them watch things like that.

CovenantX likes this.
  18. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

While the immature b.s. on chat does get old very quickly, the above, along with near zero customer service is the reason I wouldn't recommend UO . Chat I typically just leave turned off.

The Craftsman, Modoc and BeaIank like this.
  19. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I voted no, but I know it is a problem.
    It should be possible to update the option to ignore a poster in Chat, so you also get an option to send a Harassment call to the GM's, that contain the name of the problem poster and chat log for the last 15 min.
    Then the GM's can look at it and give the bad poster a warning and maybe a temp ban from the chat and if really nasty, a mark on the account.

Just knowing the risk, should make most moderate their language,

An other way to punish the bad guy, would be to teleport him to Fel and make him red for x hours if a warning do not help. There should be some, who would love to take care of him there.

#19 FrejaSP, Mar 12, 2015
  20. Nurse Miss Maude

Nurse Miss Maude Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Voted no but my vote has nothing to do with the op's post of language. It was a direct answer to a direct question. Imho we can't obtain new players because the game isn't marketed widely enough. We can't retain any new player that happens to stumble upon the game WITHOUT coming with a friend because it's an almost 18 year old game...they are so far behind and so much to learn...would you stay if you were just starting without any friends or help??
    Trash talk, bullying, and harassment is kind of subjective. If someone you have no clue who they are in an online game that you will most likely never meet says something you do not like and hurts your feelings is that bullying or harassment? Come on if you don't like it remove yourself and STOP responding, it's very simply. Maybe the GMs stopped responding to harassment pages because most are unwarranted and attempts to get someone in trouble. I don't know, these threads of how other people "should" talk and act, are starting to remind me of a pointless view of opinion match in gen chat. Take care of your own actions, mind your own words, and just play.

21. Whitewolf of *VK*

ya Gen chat has nothing to do with how i would vote you think its bad here, go hang out in one of the chat channels in WoW sometime, also you choose to be in Gen chat, there is other chats you can sit in, i never sit on gen chat because of that reason.

22. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Wow, almost nobody would recommend UO to a friend, including me, but not because of general chat. Kind of sad when you think of it. Reminds me of smokers unable to quit but not recommending anybody else get hooked.

23. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

I said no, but im not sure what you mean by almost nobody saying yes, the vote is pretty much totally even 21 yes 23 no.

24. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

Ah, right, I was referring to the comments rather than the poll results

Captn Norrington likes this.
  25. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

Well considering it's people that actually play, I would hope say maybe 90% would recommend it. Not gonna see the quote "Half the people in UO would recommend it to a friend!" ;)

Captn Norrington likes this.
  26. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

Honestly it's not just chat. They're pretty lax on player names these days too. I don't really wanna rat anyone out, but some names are really over the top. Haven't seen the name Contact Support in a long time

27. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

I would recommend it to certain people. In today's gaming society, everyone wants to be the best the fastest..it's all about the end game..and UO doesn't have that.

28. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Same here I keep chat off, unless Im on Siege then its on.

29. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

I had to vote no, not because I think Gen chat is deplorable (which it is), but because UO is nowhere near a marketable state. Its a hot mess of mismatched, bizarrely overlapping, contradictory and poorly documented systems that require spreadsheets to make sense of. Being run by a studio that seems to think profound apathy or ostrich-like behavior equates to acceptable customer service isn't helping either.

30. Kael

Kael Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'm not sure I would recommend it in it's current state either.

31. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

This poll do have a problem, there are 2 different question, where I would answar yes to the first and no to the second. I have to admit, I read it wrong as first question is very hard to read in UO Classic style.

First this:
    My answar to this is Yes
    Then this:
    My answar to this is No

#31 FrejaSP, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  32. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

I chose no, but Gen Chat has nothing to do with it, my motives are purely from a standpoint of I wouldn't want to see anyone else in my family get addicted to this game and waste their time.

Yadd of Legends likes this.
  33. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

LOL Oh dear.

34. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

I have gotten a few friends playing over the years.. i always recommend UO.. always. Nothing beats it imo.. haha..

Old Vet Back Again likes this.
  35. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

There are a million and one things wrong with UO but despite that its still a unique game. It will probably never be replicated although I live in hope. One of the problems is that us, relatively few, remaining UO fans/addicts have our own very personal view of the game. Nothing may beat it for you, but gaming has moved on and the modern day gamer has moved on. They just dont get it. Its now a very niche game played by an ever decreasing number of diehards.

In a wider context I disagree that nothing beats it, I have many things in my life which beat UO. Its still only a game.

36. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

oh yeah i have played every game out there. heh

i just always keep UO.

i had a discussion with a few tonight while tooling around yew gate atl.. maybe it reminds us of our childhood.. who knows. im stuck till i can't play no more

even though i gotta dabble in the latest call of duty here and there

pewpew

37. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I voted No.

Not for the general chat drama but for various reasons mostly mentioned by other posters so far.

One that was not listed since Stratics is the official UO boards atm. The new "self policing" isn't working. A possible new player wanting to gather a feel of the community and strength of the game would read more drama then actual game discussion. Topics like this , and no offence intended to the OP, doesn't help when it sounds like the game just doesn't have a healthy influx of new players coming in. The new gen players want to play with other people not just a select few.

Many console games like Call of duty and others that have rooms to speak in are pretty verbal abusive. Now not all games are like this where certain MMO's do actual police their general chat even though many here try to say other wise. This is the least of the UO issues.

38. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

And then there's Witcher 3 just around the corner