1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Kickstarter Campaign for UO?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Arcades, May 7, 2014.

1. Arcades

Arcades Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Anyone? I'd pinch in for improving the 2D client...there was a really old High-Res 2D art thread on stratics years ago. Sorry to say but the current 3D client has no UO feel to it...would love to see a full screen high-res 2D client. Since the devs have said repeatedly that the current 2D client cannot support such an endeavor, I would love to see if there is any interest in a full revamp of UO? Now that it is on Steam, at least Broadsword is putting the game back on the market. This would be the next step! Whos with me?!

2. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

The 2D client needs to be left the hell alone.

3. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

gonna say NO UO has taken alot of my money over the years, theres absolutely no reason to have a kickstarter. that is for new games. Plus i dont think it would work at all, because it just doesnt have the popularity needed for a kickstarter.

4. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Not even a larger gameplay window?

5. Kayne.

Kayne. Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

You can do that yourself lol

6. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You can with 3rd party utilities of blow it up full screen which is god awful ugly..I prefer the smaller window with a little excess black for my spells/bags/paperdoll/bars anyways so I wouldn't get much use from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

You poor poor 2d crackpots, pincos EC is the future. You just need to adapt

Spiritless and DJAd like this.
  8. MedeaDF

MedeaDF Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Nope. Not legally.
    Nope. The EC graphics are done without love. We need more detail and love there. Even with Pinco's, sorry, sometimes this looks more like a graphic spreadsheet than gaming graphics (all those different text styles, -sizes and colors make me nervous).

Better graphics for 2D? I would give every gold coin (and more!) I have in UO to get better 2D graphics.
    But then some time ago, there were alot of good artists around with creative ideas, and just to name one and to get the idea what I'm talking about: Andrea. Nothing ever happened. Also, if I'm asking Google for some other UO graphics, you find a ton of other stuff which would be so cool to have in official UO... but, yes. Dreams. :)

Troop likes this.
  9. a slave girl

Stratics Veteran

I agree with the exception of new unicorn art. Too cartoony give us the old unis back! white horse body with white horn same size as horse flowing or short hair mane styles at random.

Kickstarter campaign needed to improve enhanced client yes.

10. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I don't really get people's problem with the EC graphics. They're all basically the same with a few minor adaptions. I found it weird when I first started using it, but after a week of continued use I didn't really notice anymore. In fact, switching back to 2D for me feels strange now. There are enough benefits in terms of UI and macro features in the EC to stick with it, imo. 2D has no UI at all and it really shows its age. Most new players are gonna want to use the EC as they're used to the simple things within it that are consistent with a modern MMO experience. There's nothing inherently wrong with the graphics anyway, it's purely down to what you're used to and you can adapt if you choose to try. Doing so is definitely worth trying, imo.

Anyway, EA should invest the money to modernize the 2D client at least for modern resolutions if they're intending to continue supporting it. As it stands it's basically not fit for purpose on modern monitors. If they're not intending to continue supporting it and just going to keep it patched for legacy reasons they should just stop making the link to it available from the UO webpage. New players downloading the 2D client aren't going to have an experience that will get them to continue playing the game.

Zanaver, DJAd, Storm and 1 other person like this.
  11. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It's such an eye :bleep; to play the EC in pvp situations.. The fields are ugly and move to much..players bars don't always refresh..sometimes you see people running naked on foot.. It is just so damn glitchy..give me an EC that I can mod out the ugly graphics for tiles and I'll use it..I actually liked it just for my playstyle it blows

12. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Seriously? Where are we going with this thread?

13. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

You have 5 of your Earth minutes to convince me this worth the effort.

14. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

No can do, but might be able to convince you to buy me some swampland :p. I know this is headed for a lock down, but could it be moved to rants forum.

15. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*listens*

16. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

As I have said every other time I have seen a uo kickstarter thread, NO. That is not what kickstarter is for. We all kickstart UO every month we pay a sub. Its already a clearly established game and they get PLENTY of money to develop with, they shouldn't need handouts.

Spiritless likes this.
  17. Aran

Arguing is its own reward, @kelmo

18. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Why do you feel the need to police a thread like this? No one is bashing anyone or violating any of Stratics "Rules" persay from what I've read atleast..I'm confused

From what I've read so far it's only been conversation..should it be moved to another part of the forums that no one reads or something? Should we discuss new deco? Or maybe something a bit more fluffy at ALL TIMES..?

yars likes this.
  19. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah if they take away the subscription fee, I'll put in some money for Kickstart campaign.

But otherwise hell no

20. obeeee

obeeee Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

CC players would be very resistant to major changes in the UI. But improving graphics would be VERY welcome. After 189 months of constant CC play, and tried EVERY version of the 'Enhanced Client', I stick with what I started with. MANY of the EC features would be more than welcome in the CC, as long as I can't rotate my paperdoll. :p

21. Aran

No.

22. Aran

Because that's Kelmo.

23. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Granted I am not lobbying for the CC to get love..the nostalgia is worn off for many people..I say put the resources into the EC and make it playable for all playstyles..

Storm likes this.
  24. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

3d rotated paperdoll. EC just looks less comic artworkish and the face changes work for my undead mule.. I miss the jig and other dances from 3d. It was KR that made me take so long to try and get hooked on EC.

25. lucitus

lucitus UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

the only thing you can kickstart is a company that will buy UO and start a new development, iam for it 100$ ;)

cazador likes this.
  26. Dol'Gorath

Dol'Gorath Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

2D is the past. As much as I love the 2D games I grew up with, eventually there comes a time to move on. yes some artists have posted paperdoll art in the past, but paperdoll art that looks good is easy. Do they have time to draw the thousands of frames of animation required for each new piece of clothes?

Game design courses no longer teach 2D art in games, it is all 3D.
    At this point it is best if UO retires the classic client, imports all the 2D art and assets to the enhanced client and let players choose which art style they want to see. One unified client with an art toggle is better than supporting 2 different clients and would cut down development time per patch cycle.

27. AdamPD

AdamPD Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I'd love to see a high res 2D client, but can you imagine the amount of work that it would need? all the individual animations for each unique monster, item and other stuff.
    Not sure if it'd be easier with modern software, but would it be possible to replicate the art and animation that we have now, into a high res format, without drawing it frame by frame, by hand? lol

28. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

:bdh: really again why is this not locked another CC vs EC this is pathetic. Kickstarter for C C:flame:

29. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

So read a different thread..there is a plethora to chose from. If your having a hard time finding reading material shoot me a PM with your likes and interests and things that don't make you randomly hop into a thread and just spew out some random wah wah lock it "because"..I'll gladly hook you up with it..

DJAd and Flagg like this.
  30. Zanaver

Zanaver Visitor

I agree, we need more new players to join us and the 2D client isn't up to snuff for players new to the game. I'm sure if you polled new players on which client they are using the answer would be EC.

yardman and Lord Nabin like this.