1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Kill Kill Murder Murder

Discussion in 'UO Spiels N Rants' started by UltimaSword, Aug 17, 2008.

1. UltimaSword

UltimaSword Guest

Just a little rant on words.

I'll kill him, her, it. Kill this, kill that. Let's kill em all. I'm gonna kill that fool and then eat him.

Now replace kill with the R-Word and I'd get a nice perma-ban on my UO account.

Maybe I just don't get it but how is saying the R-Word a bannable offense and how is it considered worse than killing? I understand killing is part of the game, obviously. Yet it is much worse than the R-Word and yet the R-Word is bannable.

I know the R-Word is a terrible thing and it deeply affects people but so does killing. Can someone tell me a good reason why someone can say "I killed that guy" and not "I "R-Worded" that guy".

For the record I have not been banned for saying the R-Word but I do not understand why people should be.

2. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The R-Word brings traumatic memories for those who have been victimized by it. "R" has no place in UO or Stratics and only serves to convey an expression that could be more maturely and more respectfully put. There is killing in Ultima Online.

I assure you, if you go say "I am going to kill you in real life" in game, you would get banned much quicker.

3. UltimaSword

UltimaSword Guest

Understandable but if had a traumatic memory of my grandfather being killed brought back because of something someone said I would not want their UO account perma banned or temp banned for basically no reason unless they were intentionally harassing me. That is ridiculous.

Saying "I R-Worded you" is another way of saying I beat you badly and it is commonly used everywhere. It really is like picking and choosing what bothers people and deciding to make them bannable offenses.

EDIT: I am not looking to offend anyone. If this discussion bothers you please do not attack me as I am looking for a logical discussion not a flame war. Just close it and don't look back.

4. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The difference is, again, that there *is* killing in Ultima Online. There is no "R."

Everyone comes into this game knowing full well that there will be "killing" - they do not come expecting to be told the "R-Word" and it is even in EA's Knowledgebase:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1791
    ~R-Word has been replaced with [censored] so it is acceptable to post on our forums.

No worries, I can tell you really are wanting to discuss this, which is why I have obliged.

5. UltimaSword

UltimaSword Guest

Thanks this is probably the best answer I'll get. I didn't catch it in your post before.

Also the only answer I'd accept really. In my humble but awesome personal opinion I believe we should try our best to not be affected by words and if we cannot do this there is always the word filter lol. That would go for any curse word. And also to, you know, forget the past unless there is something to be learned from it, live in the present, and sometimes look toward the future.

Thanks again.