1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Killed by a Wyvern, three times last night. Aye carrumba

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Prince Caspian, Sep 25, 2009.

1. So I am just wandering around the Underworld and I come upon a Renown Wyvern.

Seeing how I virtually one-shot Wyverns everywhere else, and even Paragon Wyverns are Glass Joes to me, I figure why not. So I switch to my Horselord and let 'er rip. Imagine my surprise when it took off maybe a twentieth of its lifebar. Yikes.

Then he shot a flamin' booger at me.

WTF?! When did wyverns get a breath weapon? Not only that, but it did 70 points of damage (against all 70 resists), more than an Ancient Wyrm. Plus he does the typical machine-gun-mana-dump of flame strikes and ebolts at the same time of the breath weapon strike, so I go from having full health to taking a little siesta on the floor.

So I get whisked back to the Silver Sapling, which I thought was odd, since I didn't plant a seed yet today. The second time, I did not, and it was a long, long run back. The Slasher of Veils paralyzed me on the way... makes sense, doesn't it? A ghost being afraid of the Slasher?

About the third time in, I was feeling a lot like Wile E. Coyote. When I had him on the ropes, we played that old classic that all pallyarchers know so well... the ever fun "I-hit-you-for-60-points-and-you-Greater-Heal-twice-for-90-points-before-I-get-my-next-shot" treadmill. But finally, it goes down.

My reward? 2,000 gold.

Didn't even cover half of one of my insurance bills. Reminds me of Principal Skinner telling the Recycle Guy "This won't even cover the money it costs for my gas to drive to the store to buy the twine!"

And I suppose some Loyalty points that are useless to me anyway (I dont imbue and I already have a house where I want it).

The odd thing here is, I've fought Renown Acid Ellies and Fire Ellies, and they were just slightly tougher than paragons. Are Wyverns a special case in the abyss? It WAS near the Dragons Lair, if that makes a diff.

2. LadyNico

LadyNico Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

3. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The reknowned wyvern and the spawn that comes right before it (the Forgotten Servants) are extreme pains in the neck to handle.

But the peerless ingredient you get from the spawn isn't called the "essence of persistence" for nothing.

It's also the same spawn where you get the orbs for entry into the stygian dragon's lair.

4. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

If you'd been playing on Siege, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't have spent a single gold piece on insurance. =]

5. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Please, nobody really plays Siege.

6. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

If you don't play Siege, how do you know nobody plays Siege?

I play Siege, I have no problem finding people. Maybe you just couldn't find them in the normal production-shard gathering spots.

7. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

Well they have said they will look into upping the mini boss loot a bit. I kind of wish the advance rate of the spawned was turned down to give me more time to farm mats. That spawn is particularly bad because it advances itsself after the fairy dragon stage... they all attack each other. Before you know it the boss is up.

8. Leto

Leto Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

This is exactly why I dislike most of the Siege-players who post on u.hall.

Sir, your comment was neither relevant nor useful. Take your propaganda elsewhere please...

9. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Agreed. Luckily it fit right in with most Uhall posts.

I wouldn't call it propaganda. It was an accurate, off-hand comment that was neither relevant nor useful, but it was not propaganda.

Now, I don't want to divert this thread any longer, so I'll let it drop.

10. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

they really should slow all the spawns down, i kill 10 to 15 smaller spawns, get to the next level then i kill 4 or 5 and the renowned shows up.. its really fast.

11. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Though nothing has been said by EA to confirm this, I find it very likely that all Renowneds were intended to be more obstacles than anything else. The Renowned Wyvern is just an extreme example.

Also....Horselod is Reptile Slayer right? If you want to have another go, use a Dragon Slayer, for triple damage isntead of double. (If wyverns are responsive to dragon slayers as I believe they once were.)

-Galen's player

12. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Do you mean Essence of Precision? I don't have any info on Essence of Persistance. Theres so many Essences its easy to get them confused anyway.

13. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Any idea if the single slayer musical instruments are any more effective now?

14. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

I agree they could have been meant to be an obstacle. They also give a large chunk of loyalty. I don't think the devs planned on folks maxing loyalty so fast. So maybe that was a little bit of it too.

My dragon slayer radiant schim takes the normal wyverns down in no more than two hits so I'd say dragon slayers work on them.

15. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Oops, I should have said "Diligence."

So we were both wrong... Stupid new loots.