1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Kinda a Drag...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ludes, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

So this evening an old guildy of mine ICQ'd me and asked if UO was still running..

Of course I said "Heck ya Bro in fact numbers are low and I need ya..."

So he sets up a Mage/Archer and off we go.. I outfit him and we hit New Haven for the learning quests..
    Yeah... I know twinking is frowned upon but I did hang with this dude back when..

So we hit Despise after a few and spend about an hour there..

He's hitting 60's in skills and wants to go to the next level and asks me "hey lets move on to Shame.."

There's where I had to say "Ummm naw Shame is only for groups.. now.."

No place to take people to train middle levels now...

Like I said... Kinda a Drag..

2. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Why not, there was two of you and first level shame is hardly full. I hope you had a char that could keep this guy alive and just drag him up some skill points. You can't expect him to make it to the bottom of shame but there is loads of stuff to kill at the upper levels.

3. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Guess I forgot to mention.. we don't Pay to Win... anyone who's suit cost more than 500k is using gold to get an advantage... Pay to Win in other words...
    We don't do that.

4. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

i had fine luck fighting stuff inside lvl 1 shame with a new char in basic armor when new shame hit on Origin, You could possibly try tokuno, like kappas and even the yomitsu mines for some elementals.

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I like Illsh there in the rat cave is some earth eles. Try that.

Ludes likes this.
  6. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

What about the orc dungeon? I've had good luck hunting there with lower level characters, especially when with others. Just go slow!

Ludes likes this.
  7. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Despise?

Lord Frodo likes this.
  8. Driven Insane

WTH sort of logic is that?

I'd agree with you if you were talking about paying RL $$, but c'mon man. All you're doing is handicapping yourself for no reason.

Besides, if you collect all the resources and build the suit yourself, then technically you've paid 0 gold and can still have a top level suit, it's what I've done. Or is that still considered Pay to Win in your reality?

legendsguy likes this.
  9. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Just have your friend kill Lizardmen @ Tokuno Champ. No one ever goes there except on Atlantic, great bridge until he's ready for LVL 1 Shame.

Also, no one really groups up LVL 1 Shame, and most people solo LVL 5 Shame.

10. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Ludes, maybe you and your friend would enjoy doing the solen quest for powder together?

Sevin0oo0, Sauteed Onion and Ludes like this.
  11. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Not sure where you got that idea. Level 2 is pretty nice for training. The monsters are few, room to run, and slow. I've taken several semi-skilled characters there. A mage archer should do quite nicely. Find a rune library with a rune to the level, because I agree level one is too crowded, then tackle the mud elementals on level 2.

12. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I have found that level 1 shame is pretty doable for a training a mid-level character if you know where to position yourself.
    There are some spots without any spawn to where you can lure some mud pies and earth elementals to fight without much worry.

In terms of gold, Despise is more profitable at that skill level, since monsters die faster, and you will still get good gains out of ettins and earth elementals on Despise level 2 up to 80 skill.

13. Zero Day

Zero Day Guest

Level 1 shame is great for training from 60-85/90 or so in terms of combat skills. Just watch your health and your gains will go up pretty fast. Level 2 will get you to GM.
    I trained wrestling from 65-90 in shame in about 3 hours or so. To make it easier I also trained parry at the same time then stoned it off later.

14. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I fail to understand what this implies, is it a jab against my play style? 500K can be obtained in less than a week killing nearly anything. It might be your personal desire to make this game harder than need be, I do not understand why, but please do not pass this on to your friend.

What shard are you on, I'll farm it up for you if I don't have the cash there.....my heart is bleeding for you.

15. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Some places here I never have visited.. Thanks for the ideas folks we're gonna try them all.

Oh and to Driven Insane... Don't worry I'm not suggesting anyone else forsake the 100 million dollar suits.. We just don't is all.

16. Adol

Adol Certifiable

The whole point of an open world, and certainly where I gained most of my fondest memories in the early days of Ultima Online is that there isn't any "gated" areas, but rather you wander out into the world, and explore where you can go for now, find out naturally where things are a bit rough, and then challenge yourself to get a bit further into it if the spawn proved a bit too tough for now.

So you should be sitting with your friend with a copy of the game map, and saying "How about there? What's in there I wonder?!" and then going and just having fun fighting as far as possible. There's Fire, Ice, Despise and Deceit to explore... what about the T2A lands, why not just go on a rambling trip across them, see what you can find? He's got the most important piece of the puzzle; namely a friend who wants to do stuff with him. If you don't mind dying, try the void pool together; get in the right spot, and it's just like the old bone room, you can be cross healing away merrily whilst actually seeing some of the new things to do. Just relax, have fun and socialize, and let the levelling take care of itself, as you seem to want!

Amber Witch and hen like this.
  17. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

actually when they just re did covtevous they screwed up me training disco... No one wants to disco a mob with 100k+ hps for gains... u know how dumb it is to try to kill those when you are lower skills... Its like yeah i could get gains here if it didnt take an hour to kill the mob and go on to the next.... Now only place i train is in ilsh and i have to worry about paragons...

18. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

How about the devs get some foresight before they make changes....... Just like the PVP changes.... Just like the Arties that 'were' going to be released....

19. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I did actually think about making and imbuer Picus, but when I saw the places you'd have to go to try to get imbuing ingredients I gave that up as well... Places like Doom and Bedlam and such will always be off limits to people who don't have magic armour. I'm not mad about it, nobody's stopping me from jumping on UOSearch and buying a suit. I just feel like I don't want to pay.

Oh and my main shard is Cats.

20. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Well, you don't need the high end ingredients to imbue suits. I hardly ever use them.
    You only need them to imbue the highest value possible for that mod. For every other intensity, you only need magical residue, enchanted essence, relic fragments and gems. The first three you get from unraveling magic items. Shame items are perfect for that, in fact.

Arrgh and Ludes like this.
  21. Picus at the office

Stratics Veteran

Not to beat a dead horse but you have made a sampire, right? A poorly equiped samp is more than able to collect what ever you need to make high end suits. Really they are next to free for imbued stuffs after you "invest" in makeing the initial char. While I am not sure about everyone else I find the game to have a much higher level of enjoyment when you have spent the time "equiping" your account.

Like the above post says you do not need to have the top level imbuing stuff, the vast majority of my PvM suits do not use these only my PvP suits do. In making my sampire's suit I broke so many pieces during the enhancement that I just gave up wanting 8 lmc and found that 7 on each piece added up to the same 40 at the end anyways. The 120 scroll can be had easily with the binding scroll, nothing should stop you save for your own actions.

22. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I can't help but be a little curios here... On virtually every production shard a tangle sells for 10+ million. Now I can understand not using gold to purchase one from a vendor, but are you telling me that you would refuse to use a tangle as a part of your suit if you got one as a drop? Or are you saying you would not get a tangle as a drop because your character is not capable of killing navery?

23. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I've never played a Sampire or any of the newer templates.. Most of my characters were created between 1999 and 2001 . Not sure what a tangle is but after looking up Navery I just had to laugh.. none of my characters would stand a snowballs chance against that.

24. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

I don't mean to insult anyones playstyle, if it works for you that's great. However I can't help but think you are missing great additions to UO. On a side note, I have gotten tangles from navery on a naked character with less than 150 skill points... You just have to be patient.

25. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

How could you possibly fight that naked? And with no skill points how would you kill it much less stay alive?

26. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Get a bow if you don't want to be a mage :)

27. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

I start a new gargoyle with 50 healing, 50 hiding and 30 magery. Then find a public portal to underworld. Cast nightsight and fly as fast as I can down to Naverys lair. From there I drop the rocks on her, hiding between resets, till she dies. I collect the gold and untranslated tomb until I get a tangle. It has been my tactic for getting started on new shards.

legendsguy and G.v.P like this.
  28. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Ludes is playing a different game than the rest of you i think lol. Sounds like he is playing a pre-aos UO in an itemized world.

29. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I agree about shame, on a non-casting character it's ridiculously hard to survive now with less than GM skill, it is NOT a good place to train a pure dexxer, if you have magery, bush, or chiv though it might work but not for a pure warrior in the 60's.

Personally I can't stand the dungeon revamps or the new items, I hated the AOS changes enough as it was.

30. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

lol... I'll be the first to admit I'm sadly behind the times..
    Makes so much of the game unplayable for me I know but I just don't have the kinda time to learn all that complicated new stuff.
    I am learning how to do the bod thing so my smith can try using a runic hammer!

31. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

It is almost like you don't play UO.

Since when is the a 'dungeon progression'? Despise to Shame to what?

You can train to GM in pretty much every dungeon by going further in the dungeon itself. You mean you can't go down to Ogre Lords and Poison Ele's and train up to GM in despise? Really?

There are about 50 diff places you can train including champ spawns, Tokuno, T2A etc. There are 3 dungeons so far that have been changed. The rest of the world has adjusted and frankly level 1 of shame is fine for a simple character and you can wear the loot you get to build a better suit as you go and progress.

Also - you can imbue a 42 stamina, 42 mana, all 70's suit for about 300k of ingredients that you can generally get by unraveling items. Make leather items. Imbue Stamina Increase, Mana Increase and then resists to match. Takes any decent crafter about 20 min to do this. That suit will serve your friend well in training. If training mage - add in 100 lrc.

Yes the best sampire suits in the game might cost 100 mil if you add in crimson, tinker legs etc but honestly you can still build a very solid sampire without those. It is NOT required.

32. Picus at the office

Stratics Veteran

Just read for 20 mins over at the Warrior forum about sampires. You could convert a char to that style with nearly no effort execpt working up necro. No need for the uber suit but I'd say it will greatly enhance the game for you and your friend.

33. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe you should look a little more into imbuing. You have to realize here on stratics people mostly talk about the end all be all best possible stuff- but you can build a pretty damn good suit using just base leather/metal and the normal gems as the ingredients. Well, along with the essences.

34. Roland Of Gilead

Roland Of Gilead Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran

If it melee skills he's training and it sounds like it is go to troglodytes thats always worked well for me and if he has u there to throw him some heals should be fine and high skill in no time.Repond works there and makes it easy theres a few cheap repond fencing and sword weaps.Worth a shot and as a few others said in shame right when u walk in theres a few easyish critters to kill but not much worse than it ever was right there difficulty wise u guys should be fine right there just stay near the entrance till u feel braver ;)

35. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

i hope you spend your time on siege where that mindset actually works well

G.v.P likes this.
  36. sirrojen

sirrojen Guest

So your mad at the devs for improving a dungeon because you refuse to do anything to make good chars? Sounds like misdirected hate to me. I really do not think shame lvl 1 is thaaat hard, and the drops you can get there are lightyears better then anything you could acquire from the deepest darkest corners of the old dungeon. As far as crafters go, is no one in your guild a crafter? Simply acquiring the mats without having to train the skills is pretty easy.

Sorry to come off so abrasive/harsh but i think most of the player base goes to shame alot more then in the year previous to the upgrade, the devs obviously cannot please everyone, but in this specific case I think they pleased most.

37. Driven Insane

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The OP would be so much better of playing on Siege, provided he didn't mind the Fel ruleset.

38. Driven Insane

I certainly wasn't trying to put you down in my earlier post. But it does sound like most of UO is probably off limits for you given the fact that you're probably running around using gear from 1999, when most everything now requires gear at least on par with what was available when ML came out.

I do think that you'd possibly enjoy the game more if you'd at least catch up to AoS ;)

And I'll reiterate. My suits which are very valuable did not cost me a single gold piece. Everything I wear I made myself out of resources I gathered. For example I really wanted that new shield Cora drops. So I've spend the last month killing her with either my wife's help or solo. Finally I got that shield last weekend. Didn't buy it from someone and thus it cost me 0 gold :)

39. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Oh My GOD!!!! Ludes = RedStone!!!

40. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

plate 5/3/2/3/2 base
    valorite 4/0/3/3/3

base per piece 9/3/5/6/5
    with 20 points from exceptional per piece, assume each gets 4
    13/7/9/10/9
    x6 pieces

72/42/54/60/54

Could use something like Lord Blackthorn's Exemplar, anti-virute drop, pretty common
    6/10/10/15/10

78/52/64/75/64

One imbue of fire to max, which take 10 boura pelts, easily farmed, takes you to
    78/67/64/75/64

Depending on how the exceptional bonuses fall, at this point with 1 imbue you are looking at being like 2 points from all 70s.

You don't need to imbue the max of each property on each piece of armor. The most expensive thing is powder of fortifications, which are easy enough to get though bods if you don't want to buy them.

If you want, I'll actually get on tomorrow and make this suit to give you an exact price and ingredient break down.

41. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

That's pretty crazy lol but nice idea, especially on slow shards. Still, by "started" do you mean you sell the Tangle, or what? Because even if you get the Tangle you pretty much have to help stuck to get out, no? Haha. Be funny to get something like that before you have the gold to insure things.

As a straight up 50 magery noob you can begin to kill Shame LVL 1 w/ blade spirits. You'd have to use reagents and go at it the old fashioned way but you'd eventually get a few 5 LRC pieces or better. I don't really like to start Shame LVL 1 w/ a dexxer until I'm around 80 weapon skill, but it depends on how much HPR/healing you have. Those scorpions remain an annoying variable if you can't heal. Hiding is always a great skill to train up early then drop later once you don't need it.

42. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Ludes - look again at imbuing - you can make a pretty decent suit without needing any of the special ingredients. I know, I've done it.

RuSini Neb - there are lots of places to train disco, take your query to the bard form and ask there, posting your current skill level. I'm training disco currently and doing much of my training in Tokuno.

43. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

Yes I usually sell the tangle for really cheap, around 8 mill and use the gold to buy the basics like full spellbooks and a decent lmc/lrc suit for a mystic mage. Without the need for a horse I usually toss my starting 1000 gold in the bank for insurance, but even then I usually help stuck out. I find getting in and out without a spider poisoning you is harder than surviving Navs lair.

G.v.P likes this.
  44. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Def. Actually I forgot to mention a method I began using, you can apply 18% LRC w/ 50 imbuing to standard NPC bought armor w/ over a 30% chance of success. To OP, could have friend make a scrub just to get friend his first 100% LRC for grinding (if that isn't done). Still have to collect trash to unravel, but that helps skill gain, at least. Back when Imbuing first came out it was a lot tougher to gain than it is now.

45. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Without too much effort (ie- like 10 minutes) I made a valorite suit that was
    72/45/51/62/59

With the shield, it would be like:
    78/55/61/77/69

If more time was taken, the resist could be set up better. Less poison/physical and more cold. One of the pieces had 4 fire, it can be imbued to 18, so that would make the resist
    78/69/61/77/69

Which leaves every other slot available for stats. This is not counting something like a crimson or any other top artifact.
    Stamina Increase: 7 (4 Enchanted Essence 8 Diamond)
    Lower Mana Cost 7 (4 Relic Fragments 8 Tourmaline)
    Fire Resist 18 (5 Magical Residue 10 Ruby 10 Boura Pelt)
    Hit Point Increase 4 (4 Enchanted Essence 8 Ruby)
    Mana Increase 7 (4 Enchanted Essence 8 Sapphire)

Imbue Fire Resist on a piece with the lowest Fire. Then imbue LMC, SI, HPI, MI on that piece. With 6 pieces to imbue, you are looking at:
    42 Stamina Increase
    42 Lower Mana Cost
    24 Hit Point Increase
    42 Mana Increase

You only have to imbue Fire once, so that leaves open 1 slot on each other piece for something like Stamina Regen.

Jewelry Ring/Bracelet
    Damage Increase 22 (4 Enchanted Essence 8 Citrine)
    Hit Chance Increase 13 (4 Relic Fragment 8 Amber)
    Defense Chance Increase 13 (4 Relic Fragment 8 Tourmaline)

So- 44 DI, 26 HCI, 26 DCI.

And that leaves two slots open for skills, stats, resist, whatever.

To recap- resist of 78/69/61/77/69 stamina increase 42, lower mana cost 42, hpi 24, mana increase 42, 44 damage increase, 26 hci, 26 dci.

Now, this doesn't include a talisman, different shield, sash, back item, apron, robe- all which would change and improve this suit. Which, for tossing together in like 15 minutes is pretty good imo.

46. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Can do the same with leather for a mage suit.

It's not that expensive.

47. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

I found a new place that fits for me in Illish, but where you use to drop the map on the alter in cotivious or w.e to summon crugal, was an awesome elder gazer spawn that was really working out well for me... now those same gazers have 100x the hit points so it made getting gains out of them stupid, as per you would only disco the mob once..... then spend 10 mins trying to kill.... But yeah I just do blood elementals now in Ilsh but dang those paragons are so mean some times ;x

But hey, thanks for the suggestion! :)

48. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

That's kinda a drag too, to see old school mobs poof - reborn w/ a multiple of HP. Stupid was the dev move to do this, when a new "Ancient Gazer" could have explained it, leaving the others to be killed in various areas. Add to, not take away - guess they forgot

49. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

You might want to try the advanced search option for the Hunter's Guide on Stratics. UO Stratics - Hunter's Guide - Search . If you were doing elder gazers, try putting in a value like 100 in the Barding Difficulty field and see what comes up for the results.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  50. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I decided to move carpentry to another character and add imbuing to my crafter..

Thanks especially to NuSair for breaking things down into little baby steps.. Seems a little more attemptable that way.

NuSair and Mirt like this.