1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Kinda new to game. Why do people play melee in PvM?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by maltyler84, Oct 21, 2010.

1. maltyler84

maltyler84 Guest

Hello. I am kinda new to the game and was wondering for PvM why would someone want to play a melee class instead of a Mage? Without hit-chance, defense-chance, slayer weapons and max resists being a melee class seems utterly useless when taking on high fame monsters. A Mage just needs to summon Earth Elementals and throw a heal every now and then. So what's the benefit of being a melee class?

2. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Are you familiar with sampires? They are a melee class that is quite capable of tackling high-end monsters. It is true that mages are easier to play in PvM, but melee characters (and archers) tend to deal more damage at a faster rate than mages.

3. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Because, casters cant solo very high level monsters, the summoned creature die in seconds (with the exception of Mysics, but it takes a very long time)

Melee characters can deal huge amounts of damage and dont have to worry about running around to stay alive. They can also use a whirlwind weapon to kill many weaker monsters at one time much more quickly than the area spells casters can.

The strengths and weaknesses of the classes really only come out in very difficult fighting.

4. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

^ what Smoot said. :D

5. ziggy29

ziggy29 Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

One word rebuttal: Sampire.

6. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

What fun is "Sit back and do nothing" exactly?

7. maltyler84

maltyler84 Guest

I've only been playing the game for 2 weeks. I started out as a Paladin/Swordsman but then switched to my Mage because someone gave me a lower reagent cost suit of armor. My Magery is at 93.4 and so far farming with Earth Elementals is way easier than whiffing more than half the time on my Paladin. I have no idea what a Sampire is but I'll have to look into it. Thanks everyone.

8. CaptRex

CaptRex Guest

I like melee chars because most of the melee characters has a high defense and everytime I'm on a war, I always on a front line.. :scholar: