1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Kingsguard of the occupation force???

Discussion in 'UHall' started by CrazyLemons, Feb 14, 2014.

1. CrazyLemons

CrazyLemons Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Anyone have any clue what this is about? I haven't seen these guys before, but they are spawned near my house on Atlantic. They are tough! Kill me every time I recall home. Is this part of an event?... If so why in the world spawn it in a housing area?

2. Sauteed Onion

Not really sure what that's about.

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

On Europa also. I popped out of the Britain moongate and one chased me all the way to WBB.

EM Gotan likes this.
  4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

What part of Atlantic are they in?

If it is near the west shore of Malas - I think I know why. *evil grin*

Faeryl and EM_Bennu like this.
  5. uo player

uo player Journeyman

That's where I seen them, and there are a bunch of them too!!!!

6. Tala

Tala Visitor

Death to Blackthorn!

Duncan Drake, Flagg and Rieley like this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Well... due to the King's actions pardoning a mass murderer, I resigned as Governor of Moonglow and then declared Independence for my town of Falling Waters Fortress. After the the disappearance of my daughter at the hands of a Captain of the King's Guard, I got a little angry and tried to assassinate the King. Sadly, I missed with my arrow and Killed the Governor of Minoc instead.

This seems to be the King's misguided response. He'll only anger more with these attacks on innocents who live near me.

8. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

#8 Aurelius, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    EM Gotan likes this.
  9. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Last night this was. I took a screenshot and will post it later when I get home.

10. uo player

uo player Journeyman

I just went for another look, they appear to have left the area sometime last night or this morning. "wonders where they ran off to"

11. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I get the feeling they'll be back.

uo player and EM_Bennu like this.
  12. CrazyLemons

CrazyLemons Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Yes they seem to be gone now... At least on atlantic near malas lake.

13. Alexander of ATL.

Alexander of ATL. Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
    Stratics Veteran

*they are there again!*

Queen Arya dragged me there to take a look and we barely got out alive!!!

Lord Nabin and EM_Bennu like this.
  14. Raven Blackwing

Raven Blackwing Adventurer

Watch Your Back!

kulder likes this.
  15. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

They better not come near my Umbra! *eyes narrow*

Captn Norrington likes this.
  16. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

If this spreads to the other shards, I shall stand side by side with my evil and fair King Blackthorn at Legends.
    Long live King Blackthorn!

EM_Bennu likes this.
  17. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I feel bad about saying this because EM Bennu's "liked" a fair amount of my posts of late. But I've actually not liked how Blackthorn is played on Atlantic, based on the posts I've seen. At one point he issued a ban on hunting the King's deer -- probably reflecting historical readings by the Atlantic Event Moderators, but I don't think such a thing fits this context. The idea of an occupation force also doesn't appear to fit our situation, which strikes me as a ruler who adheres to Chaos by inclination ("good guy" Chaos, meaning tolerance and diversity) but applies Order by necessity ("good guy" Order, meaning strength through unity and virtue). The Atlantic interpretation clearly is getting you some good mileage for events and stuff so on some level it's working out for you.

But, still. I prefer, and find more fitting, the Great Lakes interpretation of him. Sober, diplomatic, serious, and "hands off" (decentralized) until there is some seemingly-obvious reason not to be. The Europa interpretation based on posts I've seen seems to be closer to the GL interpretation.

And again, sorry Bennu!

-Galen's player

EM_Bennu likes this.
  18. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The ban on hunting the deer was more directed towards protecting the White Hart and White Hind. Two very special deer that are more than they seem.

As for the occupation force... Would the King on GL tolerate one of his Governors being murdered during an attempt on his own life? I can't imagine many that would. The King has been quite tolerant of many things to this point, and has strived for unity of all, but sometimes being "hands off" only goes so far. Not to mention another character that seems to have a bad influence...

Promathia and EM_Bennu like this.
  19. Emil Ispep

Emil Ispep Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Sheesh.. now I feel bad for asking for a bench/table to be placed on the beach in New Magincia

:pint:

EM_Bennu likes this.
  20. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Somehow, I saw this one coming....But I've still been chuckling for like five straight minutes.
    -Galen's player

#21 GalenKnighthawke, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    EM_Bennu likes this.
  21. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

This is all easy to say when you have absolutely no context or information regarding the fiction behind any of that.

Alexander of ATL. likes this.
  22. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

I was rather clear that I was expressing a preference, not reifying one.

-Galen's player

23. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

I understand you have a preference, but to write off Atlantic's version without having any knowledge of the context of the actions is a bit silly.

24. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

And again, I expressed a preference. You are reacting as though I was attempting to grant my preference some kind of objective sanctity. I understand why you'd think that's what I'm doing, but you're not correct.

-Galen's player

25. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

You clearly used examples of "Why" you disliked how Blackthorn is played on Atlantic. The examples you used, you clearly had no idea about the story or even the facts of that piece of lore.

"At one point he issued a ban on hunting the King's deer" You use this as one of your examples, but the fact is it wasn't just "deer". He banned the hunting of the White Hind/Hart. Why? Because they are some kind of mystical being that if harm came to them could have disastrous results. But your "preference" would be for the king to be hands off in this situation.

Others have already explained the whole occupation force thing (Ya know, the whole attempted murder of the King/murder of a governor thing)

Lets also not forget, throughout the Ultima series Blackthorn is a villain. He wasn't so powerful that he was able to avoid the shadowlords corruption, and he became an EVIL dude. He ruled with an iron fist! You could mention how he became good again after the SL's got defeated, but hell he becomes evil again in the end siding with the Guardian. I wont even go into all of the UO lore, since half of it got retconned anyway. Just because he was "corrupted" doesn't mean that wasn't WHO he was. He was always "hands on". He was hands on for the Gargoyle plague, he was hands on for Exodus, he was hands on for the Honor moongate, and thats just using three different recent UO *GLOBAL* fiction/events.

Honestly, Blackthorn becoming a goodguy was a PR/stunt for the 15th Anniversary and thats it. The guy gets "corrupted" or willingly joins the Shadowlords and Guardian, but in UO Exodus cant do the same?

#26 Promathia, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  26. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

It is a sad, sad, day when having reasons and arguments for preferences is used as a negative.

Sad, perhaps, but a logical extension of how things are on U-Hall.

Oh well.

-Galen's player

27. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

You used my shards fiction to help make your argument, but the facts you presented were wrong and misinformed.

Alexander of ATL. likes this.
  28. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Again, I was expressing a preference. What I was not doing was attaching objectivity to it. You seem to be taking it as such and, what is worse, using the fact that I had reasons for my preference to further the notion that I was attaching objectivity to it. I understand that the dominant paradigm in these parts is to reify one's own preferences, but I try to not to things that way. Seems, though, that some insist on pretending as though I do.

Oh well.

-Galen's player

29. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

God you are so pretentious

Mitzlplik_LS likes this.
  30. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Always come down to the insult, sooner or later, I suppose.

*shrugs*

Oh well.

-Galen's player

31. Jerec KTM

Jerec KTM Journeyman

Tolerate one of his governors being murdered? The King on GL wouldn't notice anything. Unfortunately, GL EMs are not like EM Bennu, they are completely averse to working (and thus growing) with the player community. They are more focused on their own plot lines, which they are good at. That is great for them, it readily appeals to a few in the rp community because the stories can sometimes be very intricate, nicely decorated, and with a new monster (maybe a unique drop worth 500 mil as well!!) that are light years beyond what any player event can provide to involve people without bankrupting themselves.

#32 Jerec KTM, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014