1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Kiss Stygian Abyss Goodbye - No UO News at E3

Discussion in 'UHall' started by RaDian FlGith, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/electronic_arts/460238.html

I think we can all officially realize that Ultima Online expansions are not going to be a blip on the horizon any time soon. Mythic Entertainment doesn't even deign to claim Ultima Online as one of its products, we've heard nothing about Stygian Abyss save tiny little "more info soon" tidbits, and there are definitely no UO specific (or even UO mentioned) jobs at EA.com listed anymore.

And EA's E3 lineup included Warhammer, but not a thing about UO -- which would be strange indeed if there is, indeed, an expansion planned for sometime in the next few months.

So I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to consider it dead.

2. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

When was the last time something UO related has been announced at E3? This doesn't mean anything.

3. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yep... UO hasn't been at E3 for a long time... doesn't mean anything that they aren't there this year.

4. When was the last time UO did anything?

ML right?

Were they at E3 then?

5. Omnicron

Omnicron Stratics Legend

Are you kidding me? E3 is far to big for a our stupid little game...silly guy.

6. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

E3 is a shadow of its former self.

7. Eh-Tah-Chi

Eh-Tah-Chi Guest

Kind of depressing IRL.
    Glad I plan on playing Warhammer though.

8. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

lol
    ain't no surprise there ...
    the real shock woulda been if UO had been mentioned anywhere, and any solid SOLID info given out other than "later and soon"

9. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

KR was the last time UO did anything.
    I don't think UO was at E3 for KR, ML, or SE.

I'm not positive though, and I can't find listings for EA games at E3 making quick searches.

10. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

E3 is now an industry show - only the flashiest stuff that will attract cameras is even MENTIONED there, since we, the unwashed masses, have been banished from its halls. And, for the most part, most of the companies will only promo PC games there if they have a console version (and are actually pushing the console version with an "also for PC" attitude). The main exception being brand new MMOs snd WoW (how much did EA discuss DAoC? Or any of the other companies discuss their MMOs that were out in the last year or two? I doubt much, and probably most of the MMOs got no press at all, if they weren't in the not-yet-released stage).

if you look at mmodump.stratics.com , you'll notice a near-complete absence of MMO info coming from E3 for existing games - with several game companies making announcements NOT at E3.

11. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Just to add on to Basara's comments. E3 was never created to be a consumer show, it was intended to be an industry trade show for professionals... that ended up a consumer show. Much like CES and the now dead & nearly forgotten COMDEX. Because E3 wasn't geared towards what it became, the crush of media & fans on E3 was pushing E3 towards the same fate as COMDEX... extinction.

IDG (the producer of E3) has done the smart thing (that COMDEX wasn't able to pull off), they have brought E3 back to what it is supposed to be... while creating a new show for the masses, E For All Expo. E For All is E3 for consumers... same location, same publishers, etc... but open to the public.

The beauty of this is that E3 lets publishers get together in their own setting, compare, plan, and begin a buzz. Three months later at E For All, publishers will have polished their wares & marketing campaigns for a venue specifically created for their target consumers.