1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

lag in uo

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Demonous, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

for about the past week, my ping in uo shoots up from 15 to 300+ for a few hours each night no idea why... my ping in ventrilo does this as well but the internet is working fine, its really annoying... any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

2. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I am having the same trouble, I was guessing it was only me and I put it down to my computer, but it may not be it if I'm the only one..

I'd also like to know on any ideas how to fix it.

3. wanderer1origin

wanderer1origin Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

cache filling, maybe wrong settings, adjust setting capture will cure i think!!!!!!

4. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

And for the less computer literate people :p

5. Cadderly

Cadderly Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Ditto, same problem.. I'll be running fairly normal then I'll crash and have insane ping rates.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Or more people might have started their nightly Bit Torrent sessions during that time and are hogging the traffic :D

If it happens regularly at a certain time, your ISP (or their partners) might be routing traffic via a different router that takes more hops. (eg to test their backup, or economical reasons)

Do a tracert when lag is good and another when it drops to 300. Then compare the results to see where the prob could be. Send both to your ISPs for them to check.

7. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

For a while, I had the same problem (haven't played in a few days, don't know if its still an issue). I did a trace, and found that my traffic was being routed from the Netherlands to either Florida or California then to Catskills when I had the problem. I forget what the normal route does, but it certainly didn't route my packets 5000 km off course.

Anyhow, Halequin gave your starting point for troubleshooting.