1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Land of Unwanted Toys

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Flutter, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Does anyone know how the Cavern of Discarded actually works?
    How long between someone tossing something and it showing up at the CoD?
    What percentage of trashed items goes there?
    How often does it update?

#1 Flutter, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yes. Trash that is tossed into a trash barrel has a chance of being sent to the Cavern of the Discarded.

Instantly

From UOGuide:
    What do you mean by update? A person throws away stuff into a trash barrel, each item has a 1% chance of showing up in the Cavern. If it get sent to the Cavern it is randomly placed on the floor of the Cavern. The item then follows normal decay rules for items that are just left out sitting on the ground.

You must also remember that if you throw away a bag full of 120 items (or any qty for that matter) the bag itself and each item are counted individually for its chance to show up in the Cavern. You will never find a bag or container with items in it (unless someone goes down there and fills a container by hand).

It is always recommended to go to the Cavern right after dumping a lot of point items to see if any went to the Cavern. You can then pick them up and re-trash them for double points. If you are going to be throwing out hundreds at a time, do it on a slow time for your shard, and don't let anyone see you tossing stuff, that will tip them off to go scavenge for your trash for points for them.

Hope this helped.

http://www.uoguide.com/Cavern_of_the_Discarded

#2 cdavbar, Jun 28, 2013
    legendsguy likes this.
  3. Lord Sir Scott

Lord Sir Scott Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Here is a interesting Note....

One day I was down there working on some renowned, and just for fun In chat I started asking people in chat to just for fun star writing me notes in red books and tossing them in the trash toss to see just how quickly and if I would get them. it really did not take to long before I starting to come across them books with my name on them. maybe 10-15 minutes with random people fooling around on the shard... hehe
    I can only assume this was just people randomly sending one or two books into the trash over a lot of people. VS Someone just writing my name on a lot of books and then trashing them.

So I hope that helps your query.

#3 Lord Sir Scott, Jun 28, 2013
    AirmidCecht likes this.
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Back in April, I had a clearout of stealable artifacts to claim the cleanup points on them, and since I'm also intrigued by the way the Cavern works left a stealther down there while I threw stuff in the bin on another account - of the 130 items thrown away, only one turned up in the Cavern - it appeared almost instantly, and so was recycled again.

Further back in time, a friend was clearing out several hundred mibs and I took someone to the cavern to see how those went - I remember we seemed to see 1-2% making it there, again very quickly, at most a couple of minutes after the trashcan emptied. We discussed this and counted them all over ICQ as we went along, but my ICQ history for that period has been deleted so I can't get the exact numbers any more...

5. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

I wonder if IDOC's also have a chance of appearing in the Cavern. I've found a lot of interesting items that made me wonder why anyone would throw them away... artifacts (old and new), high end armor, house signs, garg banners, lots of carpet pieces, and things that don't have cleanup points but make good deco.

6. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

I'm pretty sure IDOC items do not go there directly, but I do know shortly after a filled IDOC has been looted, you regularly see some very nice stuff appear in the Cavern, as the looters rush back to the bank or their house with their loot and either mistakenly throw things away, or have so much stuff already that what to you or I seems valuable is, to them, just more junk....

Cupid likes this.
  7. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

oh phooey meees thunk Flutter was troing away herz whips (toys)

Flutter likes this.
  8. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I've found quite a lot of good stuff in the cavern over the years. My guess is people at IDOC's toss it especially if it's just deco stuff .... most are looking for those Multi-million gold items not some deco stuff. Especially X-Sharders who do IDOC's on other shards. They only keep the cream of the crop to either return to their shard or sell and bail.

9. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Thanks for the info guys this is exactly what I was looking for.

10. Lord Sir Scott

Lord Sir Scott Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

The neatest thing I think anyone tossed in to a trash can that made it to the COD on Sonoma, Was someone tossed a Fish Trophy that was open (Like if it was on the wall) It made it to the cavern and now is "Permanently" stuck down there. hehe.

#10 Lord Sir Scott, Jun 28, 2013
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Oddly, we have one of those on Europa too....