1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Latency Problems

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Leaf, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Lately when I try and play the lag has been horrible. When I log in my latency says anywhere from from 63-600. I use Verizon DSL. Is anyone else having these problems and is there anything I can do. I'm not a computer wiz so I'm a little lost with all this. All I know is lately I just log back out because I just freeze up. Thanks for any help.

2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I have read of services that for a charge will connect you better from A to B. I do not recall what these are called or the cost. I do understand they are legal and do not violate the terms of service for UO. I think... I hope someone that uses such services will chime in.

3. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Also - ping times will of course vary widely depending on many factors, and for once EA support is quite helpful in this regard. Go here, read the instructions, download the UOTrace app - and you will quickly see where the problem lies. From there you can contact your ISP with your findings or you can take Kelmo's suggestion and "bypass" most of your ISP's nodes...

***And just a comment here: Internet "options" are horrible in the U.S. , where you typically have little to zero choice of providers. We have allowed telecom monopolies and that is a real shame.***

#3 startle, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Barry Gibb likes this.
  4. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Thank you both. So I ran a trace and one of the stops has a 100% loss. When I clicked on the link to connect to the EA help and logged in and looked for "My Cases" so I could send it, I can't find the link anywhere...hmmm

#4 Leaf, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Bo found your problem there it is right there... Verizon has the worst internet service ever, they charge the crap outta ya and you are lucky to even get half of what they promise

6. startle

DSL is the oldest "high speed" technology still in use and uses what's called P.O.T.S. (plain old telephone service). Since it uses every foot of copper wire and every copper connection between you and the nearest switching station, it is subject to everything from mice nests in your connection "box", to spider webs holding connecting water drops in the connections at the pole, to corroded terminals... You get the picture. And you put that together with a modest signal at the switching station and then degrade that out to about a couple of miles where it's not any better than an old 56k modem - and you have DSL.

It's not that Vertizon is all that bad, it's the technology that sucks. And there's nothing they can do to change that.
    Except to keep taking your money because either:
    A) You don't want or can't afford to pay for cable - or - B) There IS no better option where you physically live.
    Either way - they win - you lose.....
    And do you see guys out on the poles on a regular basis replacing those terminal boxes and all those old corroded connections? Why should they? You want what they have and you can't get it any other place.....

And remember, Bo started this piece of conversation.... When you start locking threads because they might raise eyebrows...

Just sayin....

7. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Its either Suddenlink Cable internet or Verizon here. Out of the two, there is only one decent choice despite my hate for Suddenlink, so Suddenlink it is! Its a shame, really, because there are plenty of options for getting the few TV shows I watch, but cable is really the only option for a decent internet connection here.

8. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I know DSL stinks. I tried go with Cable internet a few years back and we had so many problems with Comcast that we dropped it and went back to DSL. Comcast said it was my computer and my IT guy said it was Comcast. So I was going to try them again but just found out that Verizon now is offering a higher speed connection but you have to get a land line too Sooo… I just signed up for that yesterday. If that doesn’t work I will have to try Cable again. I live in the country and my options are very limited. Only 2… I wanted to send the UO Trace report but can’t find out where to send it. Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated!

9. startle

Most people in the U.S. have only 2 choices (not counting satellite, which is really crap)... We have monopolies, remember?

Leaf likes this.
  10. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I only have one choice unless I want DSL...

11. startle

Yea, I included dsl as a choice in my 2 choices. The vast majority of people in the U.S. can pick between dsl (suks unless you're lucky enough to live close to your switching station) and a single cable provider. Every area in the U.S. has one cable provider that has a monopoly in that area. You have no choice between cable providers here. And fiber isn't anywhere to be seen in the future for 99.9 % of us. It's up to our gov to pass the laws necessary to break up these monopolies, and since our gov is made up of a bunch of old white men that get put into office by the people who run the monopolies, we're dead in the water... Sorry, but you just got me off on a subject that really p*sses me off...

Leaf likes this.
  12. Varingian

Varingian Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran The Squirrel Empire

Old white men? Well yeah there are quite a few of those. If I mentioned that the head of the gang was an old black man... But I wouldn't do that. Wouldn't want to be called a tea party racist or Nazi or something.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

13. startle

You've managed that quite well on your own...

14. Varingian

Being a middle age "white guy" who will likely someday be an old "white guy" I simply find your choice of words unfortunate.

15. startle

Personally, I AM an old white guy.... Which is why I can make the statement I did without being racist... You, on the other hand...

And if you put it all in the context of that post that we are referring to, it was really more about a "class" of people than a color. As it happens, the reason we have allowed monopolies is because of that "class" of "old white men" that run congress... Anyway, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked before now...

#15 startle, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  16. Varingian

Ah I see, classism not racism. That makes it all better. We can agree on your last point however. Now that that is cleared up lets go carve some pumpkins!

17. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

How did we get here?

18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

19. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Just a update...Well....Now I am paying a higher fee for a new faster upgrade along with a land line that I don't need and my Download and Upload speed are the same as they were before all the increases....Hours spent on the line with Verizon complaining...Tired and Pissed....

20. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

i use a company called "lower ping" it cost like £6 a month, but as i travel alot i come across some horrible internet connections, lowerping usually makes uo playable.

you xan also test them as a trial user to see without cost

Leaf likes this.
  21. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Thx dupapa..Comcast Cable is on their way this morning. I bought a Motorola SURFboard eXtreme cable modem and a Linksys Smart Wii-Fi Router. Lets see what happens today! :thumbsup:

22. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Update: Comcast installed the cable internet and all is good. At first they were having the same problems that happened a few years ago and I was ready to scream. Then they went outside and checked the box. There was a filter that they had put on the box that blocked the signal. They removed the filter and all was well. This could have been done 3 years ago.