1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Latest Case of "Former UO Devs Try to Replace UO"

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Cogniac, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

2. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Shards onnline has the best team of ex devs, and the concept is the best presented so far. It it comes, it could be a grand adventure, to be sure.

MedeaDF likes this.
  3. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It sounds great and would be a amazing adventure if it works but who's going to be able to create that same "thing" as it was in 97-98? At best it's another game that does well at worst it falls in the list of the hundreds of other good ideas that ended poorly. I wish them well.

4. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

This topic and announcement from Citadel Studios was brought up about two weeks ago. Heres the UHall link

I don't think they are trying to replace UO, just using their skills to create another online game. It's a very talented team, and I wish them the best of luck.

Sean, old gypsy, DJAd and 3 others like this.
  5. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

This. I've been talking with Supreem for months and they have stated in every press release that while there are some noticeable influences because of their history, what they are creating is unique in concept and design. You can ask them yourselves in our interview thread: Shards Online: Q&A With Citadel Studios. You'll find Draconi, Logrus and Supreem pretty open to chat in the appropriate place. :)

Queen Mum, old gypsy, Nok and 3 others like this.
  6. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

Thank you for the info.

I am very much looking forward to anything they create. I certainly will plunk money down just to see if it is something I enjoy, and to show thanks for their past work on UO.

7. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well, as a player I do not like the idea of too much freedom in running what happens on a shard.

I mean, I think each one should stay within their different role and players should play gthe game and developers develop it. As a player, sometimes I can hardly find the time to play the game imagine if I had to run spawns or whatever else the level of freedom would allow me to control.

And, I would neither want other fellow players to control spawns for me.....

Nope, while I enjoy the concept of a virtual world that has freedom, I think it should all be in the hands of Developers. period. Sure, Developers should listen to players but in the end the choice should only be of the Developers and players should not be able to run the game and control what happens on it.

At least, that is my point of view.

8. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Well there will be the official version of the game, which players are able to enjoy, but they are also free to run their own. Though since the cat is finally out of the bag the details are out on the ShardsOnline page or KS page.

Many of the devs really fell in love with alot of things UO did that are missing from the new games out there and as players we also want compelling reasons to immerse people in the world.

9. Andrasta

Andrasta Goodman's Rune Library
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Blue Crane Society

ShadowTrauma and Tamais like this.
  10. Kayne.

Kayne. Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Draconi helped me out before he was a Dev, when I was a noob. I fully support the guy

11. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I pledged too. As for worlds, sounds like UO to me, except they will allow the free shards to be legal ;) And that's cool, official shards for playing, custom shard for guild and friends and whatever...

gonna be awesome, if we can get it off the ground...best game since UO

ShadowTrauma and Tamais like this.
  12. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  13. yardman

yardman Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Hey if they can it it off the ground looks like a awesome concept. I will be throwing a few bucks torwards it.

14. Lug

Lug Lore Master

I love the look of the game. It looks like what I hoped UO:KR would've looked like.

15. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Well so far we are really proud of the way things are shaping up. Being able to start from scratch means we weren't hindered by legacy code and constraints. I'm especially excited for when alpha testing opens up because the combat is fun now, and I'm rearing to see what tactics UO players come up with.

Storm, ShadowTrauma, Tamais and 2 others like this.
  16. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

I'm in. Can't wait to see to see the results.

17. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Looks really good with a great concept, I'll have to stay updated on it.

18. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

looks like a new era of UO, better graphics, back to the old freedom of where you can really do anything (pre tram)

19. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

UO cannot be replaced. It just appears that some of the former devs are taking the aspects that makes UO great and unique and trying to implement it into new MMOs. Which, by the way, is awesome. More MMOs should have the type of freedom that UO offers.

Obsidian, Tamais and Storm like this.
  20. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

We did a live stream on twitch TV, to allow viewing of our weekly in house gameplay test.
    Of course it seems like every playtest is kill the combat designer day, so I had to be really sneaky when the PvP started.

http://www.twitch.tv/shardsonline/c/4256536
    (Heres a huge length recording of the twitch session. with commentary)

MedeaDF, Viper09, DJAd and 2 others like this.
  21. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

After seeing the gameplay footage and watching the Devs play around on Twitch last night, that's my thought as well... seems like Shards might have a LOT of what Draconi and Supreem WANTED KR's original vision to be (back when it was going to NOT be tile-based and SA would rely on it, etc).

The event last night went really well (if only as a viewer and not as a participant in the actual game), and even Lord British himself has pitched in on the Kickstarter which I find to be great news as well.

If it weren't this group of ex-UO devs, I probably would not have even bothered, but in my view Draconi and crew (from the Inu arc through SA/HS) was one of the best UO has seen, so I'm interested to see what their ideas pan out to be. I've also kicked in as well on the project and hope to be enjoying it as much as I have Shroud of the Avatar.

Queen Mum and Tamais like this.
  22. Draconi

Draconi Most explosive UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Thanks Dermott, that means a lot to both me and the team!

You're right, this is the kind of game we've been wanting to make all along. There's something truly special about playing in a world you can truly have an effect on - be it as a player or a god.

Regarding the title of the thread: we aren't trying to replace UO. We're trying to live up to the lessons we learned from it, and show everyone who's never seen the magic how special a sandbox can really be!

MedeaDF, Nok, Queen Mum and 6 others like this.
  23. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Great Job you guys! And good to see you Draconi! I look forward to seeing things burn :)

24. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Draconi was more keeping us in Twitch chat informed and in line during last night's (Wednesday's) video presentation... the rest of them were slinging quite a few fireballs, so there was plenty burning!

Storm likes this.
  25. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I was unable to attend :-( due to RL but I am looking forward to next time!

26. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I was really excited the first time I heard about Shards but I'm getting goosebumps now. It looks great!

Some fantastic possibilities for a RPer running a server... *drool* I see a lot of features that should really appeal to RPers and creative folks. It'll be fun just seeing the different shards that players come up with too.

Oh yeah and you made a beast mastery skill... you just had to go dangle that carrot in front of Wenchy didn't ya. Think I might have to sign up and plot revenge with a fearsome flock of killer ninja sheep...

Wenchy

27. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

My only concern (Question?) about shards is - There has to be "Official" shards to play on. By that, I mean ones directly run by the studio.

Everything else about the game looks completely amazing, and knowing Draconi and crew are running it is icing on the cake..

I just don't want to play in a shard I have to "run" to avoid things like Gods on a drunken spree.. If there is an official, non-player made, non-modded shard, I'd be all over this like chocolate on cake..

mmm... Cake.

28. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

There will be official shards.

29. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Excellent to hear! Time to fork over my money....

30. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Buried somewhere in all the info it says there are official shards. It's kind of overshadowed by the news and jubilation of being able to have player shards with custom rulesets =)

31. Flagg

Flagg Sage

It looks pretty impressive. Nice concept. I find idea of Kickstarted MMO fairly weird. MMos are usually thought of as huge pushes, investments. Can a late-to-the-party Kickstarter breathe enough money in? I wish it goes beyond Kickstarter and they get funding and some proper publisher muscle behind it. By publisher I mean..say, Paradox as opposed to EA or Activision or some other AAA house.

#31 Flagg, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  32. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

As someone who is basically over UO, not that interested in SotA or any other mmos I have heard of, I have to admit, this game actually has got me excited.

For years I have been saying that UO along with the modern mmo industry at large made a mistake moving away from experience and toward virtual "achievement" and addiction based game design. Mmo's in my eyes should be about building a shared experience, not checking off an achievement list or grinding the same monster for weeks on end to get the newest piece of equipment that does little if anything to improve your gaming experience...

I don't know how well they can pull it off, but Shards, to me, looks like a real step back in the right direction. I don't have much spare money, but I feel this is a potentially unique game that deserveskickstarter backing, and I for one will be backing it.

Sauteed Onion likes this.
  33. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

The shards guys are streaming while working on the game now if people want to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/shardsonline

I would like to encourage every UO person here who remembers the live arcs that led up to the SA expansion and enjoyed them to chip in even just $20 or so to their kickstarter. Every Indie game that succeeds is a chip away at the EA/Activision/Etc control of the game market and allows better, more unique games to thrive.

Njjj, Andrasta, ShadowTrauma and 3 others like this.
  34. flappy6

flappy6 Sage

Wow that looks pretty kool,if they do pet dyes im all in ......haha joking,but it does look fun. would like to see what houseing will be like.

35. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I am very impressed by what I see in Shards, even more so than SOTA. I went and offered my donation. I am very hopeful this becomes a reality.

36. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Hopefully the donations will pick up for them soon. After a decent start, things have have dried up somewhat and it is falling behind target.

37. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

That Office Space themed homage is pretty amazing. Looks cool.

38. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

For those who may have missed or passed on yesterday's (Saturday's) LONG Twitch stream, the crew was basically showing how they were modding the game to add in quirky rulesets and events. In effect, they were doing the same thing they did during the after-hours at UO which ended up creating Shard of the Dead. While there were plenty of long stretches of mumblings and not much going on, they'd commit in the change they were working on and then the insanity would occur such as fire breathing bears, "rabbit projectiles", scaling madness, and more.

Also, a BIG announcement coming next week!

G.v.P likes this.
  39. flappy6

flappy6 Sage

Need to get the word out more ,I didn't hear of the game untill yesterday, why only 30 days to get the money ? Doesn't seem like much time.

40. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Just goes to show you that with a few hours, and a lot of mountain dew, locking devs in a room will result in fluffy explosive chaos.

41. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Looking forward to the upcoming battle royal with backers.
    Be wary of the raging hippie!

42. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

.. Think I'd have to be the hippie.. I SUCK at PvP, but I like PvP in games... Think I'll name my first character FreeKill when this is releases..

Tamais and Storm like this.
  43. THP

THP Stratics Legend

wow first ive heard of this too....shame the pledge fund is way of the target...looks great...$20 aint much

44. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Thanks but I'll stick with UO. It's been there for many years and I don't really want to spend money on anything else. I'm stubborn.

45. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

They have a non subscription option, so if you back them at the 20 dollar level you'd have all you need to play.

46. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I played another game before. It said it was free to play and indeed it was. Turns out that it was expensive to win though. Ive been leery ever since.

47. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

This group is NOT doing "Free to Play"... they are VERY adamant against FtP, the EQ/WoW concept, and so on. It will basically be more along the lines of combining the mechanics of UO with the ability to create servers/shards/worlds like Minecraft or NeverWinter Nights. In fact their Kickstarter Video is based around being rather fed up with all of that.

48. Orich

Orich Seasoned Veteran

This game looks horrible.

Troop likes this.
  49. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

I don't think it looks horrible, but I don't see why this is on UHall.

Shouldn't Shards have its own little Stratics section like SOTA does? It seems in bad form for former Devs to openly advertise their new game on the closest thing UO has to an official forum.

It would be like former Blizzard devs posting Wildstar updates on WoW's forum.

Troop likes this.
  50. Njjj

Njjj Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I'm not offended by its presence here. Uo is a community that has some very specific common gaming desires, and shards clearly fits those regardless of who the developers are. And Logrus I know has contributed much to these boards as a player and guru.

I think 1 thread is not too much to ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Andrasta, Tamais, Modoc and 2 others like this.