1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Leather Stocks ------------------>???

Discussion in 'UHall' started by 5% Luck, Mar 12, 2008.

1. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Ill admit My leather gathering time has tripled and my stocks have dropped considerably. My spined leather is terribly insufficient my horned has pretty much stayed the same and my barded pile is well nearly non existent. As I skin exclusively in fel and the spawn rate is very slow and the anti virtue arti drops have turned to a trickle I am losing interest in skinning all together. It was still cool untill the artis stopped dropping regularly but now, Its a simple a chore that takes way too long.

What ive been thinking is to solo a nice reptile champ in fel just for the leathers. I think it maybe my only hope of continuing skinning at all. Though there are a decent amount of risks involved, I think it may be very profitable.

Any thoughts?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I think you'd find it difficult. First you'd have to work the spawn up, then fend off the spawn while you looted your leather, and champ spawn corpses decay much faster, not to mention that once you got it to the level that spawns dragons you'd be in grave danger of being raided.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Leather drops too slowly for the weight. They should drop the weight to half a stone.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I stocked up pleanty of barbed before the dragon change looking back it was a wise move but!!!!!
    Do i sell it or use it ? what a delema

5. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Well it would produce spined horned and barbed so Id gather all three. I know slowing down to gather the spined might not be what you would think of as a good idea but all the same I need it all. As a side note Im debating just telling them they can have the champ so maybe theyll leave me to my buisness. Maybe even tell a few guilds LOL get a war going!

6. LeBaiton

LeBaiton New Player Protector
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Exclusively in Fel... Hmm, do you have Tokuno access?

For spined leather, try the champ area in Tokuno. Lots of lizardmen there. Bring a Butcher's War Cleaver and recall back and forth from and to a safe spot when your bag is full...

Horned I always skin the sea serpents when fishing.

For barbed, I still have a large stack gathered from doing level 6 t-map, skinning AW's, but they're a pain to kill now. Not have run short though...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ki-Rins and Unicorns give Horned Leather too. Elemental Arena in Ilsh has a spot where they spawn and Malas has a spot where they spawn too. Nightmares give Barbed Leather too, Elemental Arena has them too as does East of Umbra.

8. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Exclusively in Fel... Hmm, do you have Tokuno access?

For spined leather, try the champ area in Tokuno. Lots of lizardmen there. Bring a Butcher's War Cleaver and recall back and forth from and to a safe spot when your bag is full...

Horned I always skin the sea serpents when fishing.

For barbed, I still have a large stack gathered from doing level 6 t-map, skinning AW's, but they're a pain to kill now. Not have run short though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Main Idea is fel has double resources. That means a dragon will have 48 leather instead of 24 a lizzard man will have 28 instead of 14. Double per corpes weather human or elf makes for a much faster rate of production. So going to ishtar or tokono has no real benefit other than making it a bit less dismal for a change in sceanary. It would still be at half rate compared to what im used to and I am still used to insta spawn in fel with a Godly BoS. So I tryed out destard champ spawn this morning and came out with 10k spined in very little time. Though I didnt bump the spawn to any horned or barbed producers I still felt I acomplished something. I did have a run in with a "blue" player. LOL Ill bet he logged in straight from the Cam page when he saw I was there. But i did get away with my leather and he didnt call in the reds so all went well !

So Far................

9. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I used to enjoy doing the Champ Spawn for the leather, but now that you have to leave every time you are full, it's not quite as fun or convenient.

10. LeBaiton

LeBaiton New Player Protector

<blockquote><hr>

Well the Main Idea is fel has double resources.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the change to spawn speed in Felucca recently. Does the Fel double resources still hold up to Tokuno champ spawn speed? I think the Felucca spawn rate has become pretty depressing. I used to hunt for spined leather in Felucca Despise when I needed it, but nowadays, I think I'd pick the Tokuno champ...

Good thing you've managed to collect the leather from the starter spawn of the reptile champ. I'm not that big of a champ hero, prefer the quietness of several other Feluccan areas...

I don't know who from the current Dev team said they'd look into Felucca spawn speed, I think it was Jeremy, but I hope it's something they can look into in not too big of a timeframe...

*turns on the Draconi LiveTeam light beacon*

Holy macarel!

11. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

If we as leather hunters Start doing Lvl 1 reptile spawns just for leather It might throw off the ghost cams a but and make em work for thier raids. LOL hope this catches on. I gathers 10k spined in 45 mins!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

How did you get it out?

13. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I started today with a backstock of 5000 horned leather I'd had for ages.

I'd had a 20 Ex Horned bone LBOD with parts sitting around for ages, so I filled it to get the 120 to hang onto in case one of my alliance started a tailor.

Not a problem, right? I also filled a couple other horned smalls, for cloth normal 20 larges (plan on trying to put together high-luck physical resist suits with the spined kits, rather than waste my better kits on them).

Then, I start filling a bunch of my cloth trade-in fodder, as well as some regular leather BODs (also using up all my on-hand regular leather), in order to turn them in (I filled only hat BODs and the leathers, trying to get GM arms lore for my tinker). I end up with 78 filled bods.

I go into town, thinking, "wouldn't it be nice to get one of the single BODs I need to complete one of my barbed kit sets?"

To my amazement:
    10 count Ex horned female: got the small I needed.
    20 count Ex horned female: got the small I needed.
    15 count Ex horned female: got the large I needed.

ALL IN ONE TRIP, from less than 80 BODs.

My first thought was - Oh my God, I've hit the Tailor Lottery.
    My second thought was - Oh my God, there goes all my Horned leather.....

I guess I'll have to take time from mining to go leather hunting with my paladin again.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Well of course you could use a Bag of sending......OH NO! they don't work any more. Darn!

15. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Well its a bit scary being loaded on a giant beetle walking through all those dragons but I can carry 2k a trip and a quick honor myself or area peace always does the trick if i get in trouble. I make a nice pile(10K) in the corner under a stalagmite when it get to be near what I was hoping for(10K) I begin making runs for the door. Just make sure you leave just enough extra weight for the curse thats bound your way on the way out. takes me about 30 mins to gather 10K and about 15 to do the runs out! Woot leathers never been so fun!

Through the dragons!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

k

I just got some barbed, my method went something like: stack leather in a 'no spawn' area. Leave when pile = beetle capacity. Send in stealther with pet ball, summon beetle, load beetle, tell it 'stay' and invis it. Stealth out, summon beetle, tell it 'follow me' to break the invis. Sounds complicated but it doesn't actually take long to do

I have a short attention span anyway 1600 leather = I'm getting bored and ready for a change of activity.

17. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Well the lizard men are so numerous and drop 28(human) and I have a nice reptile pike(one hit kills) makeing up a 10k pile is easy! But, the pet balls will work on a beetle thats loaded??? Nice I shoulda though of that! Nice one!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

yup, I use a beetle and pet ball to get my stock past the pks to my Siege vendors often. Autostable doesn't work for loaded pack animals, pet balls do. My crafters on both Siege and Europa make far more use of pet balls than my tamer ever has.

19. Cygnas

Cygnas Guest

<blockquote><hr>

yup, I use a beetle and pet ball to get my stock past the pks to my Siege vendors often. Autostable doesn't work for loaded pack animals, pet balls do. My crafters on both Siege and Europa make far more use of pet balls than my tamer ever has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohh... nice work around, and gotta try that. Which dungeons do pet balls work in though? I noticed in Yomatsu mines that they don't work anymore, and can't remember how long ago they did, and wonder when that was changed.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

when they made it a 'no recall' zone I think. I've not tried it, I tend to only go in there with my tamer to catch a fire beetle. I called my mare back out on a ball though last time I caught one.

Had to leave the mare behind to ride the fire beetle out, went to the bank, accessed my mare's ball and she came good as gold.

I think it works like Ilshenar. There is a way to call a pet into Ilsh with a ball. I know how, but daren't use it because I've never been sure whether it's classed as an exploit or not. I'd love some clarification on that.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Used to farm in Destard with the wife for gold and leather, when they nerf the BOS we would recall out to banks when full. But when the super was born we quit farming in Destard and sought other places to get gold, as for the Barbed leather we holding on to it and not selling any at all. Horned, Spined, and Normal leather is still easy to get from locations far from the supers.

[​IMG]

22. Guest

Guest Guest

You should actually be happy that gathering leather is how it is because the value has increased on it.

23. fnurov

fnurov Guest

does anybody know where to gather normal leather?

24. Babble

Babble Guest

Delucia cows

25. Guest

Guest Guest

i saw a guy selling 60k barbed for 12 mil..

26. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

<blockquote><hr>

Used to farm in Destard with the wife for gold and leather, when they nerf the BOS we would recall out to banks when full. But when the super was born we quit farming in Destard and sought other places to get gold, as for the Barbed leather we holding on to it and not selling any at all. Horned, Spined, and Normal leather is still easy to get from locations far from the supers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting.

The wife and I enjoy hunting Destard even more now...except that Supers don't drop the Barbed yet.

Once they do, it shall be teh bomb, I must say...

We don't go to Illsh much anymore for Dragon hunting, though...there are ways to get the Paragon Supers to drop, but they are a challenge for most of our toons.

I can't imagine doing a Cold Blood in Illsh, and having two para Supers spawn...oh Lordy...I am thinking a good sized group would be needed, now, for that spawn.

27. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

You should actually be happy that gathering leather is how it is because the value has increased on it.

[/ QUOTE ]That is true for those that sell it. I just want enough to fill my BODs.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

For normal leather I think I kill hiryu's...... they give like 60 leather..... very nice. Kill them to your hearts content..... but that's where I get mine. I get my spinned from Illshnar or despise lizardmen, and horned I either hunt the drake or go fish.... nice sea serpents are good for something.... their loot stinks but at least they give horned leather. Anyway enjoy the hunt.

29. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

The compassion ratmen are good for spined too, and come with the bonus of Arrows, if you need them for an archer.

And don't forget the scales from the sea serpents - every sea serpent is 160 points towards that library donation.

If you like hunting in the Blighted Grove, Thrasher is fairly easy for a mage with EVs, and gives 40-some normal leather (around 50 if human) - so does a hydra, but they take longer to kill. You can also get spined from the giant serpents (who also have bones), alligators and giant toads there, and ammunition of both types from the changelings.