1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Light powder charges ( the point of )

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hell's Ironworks, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hell's Ironworks

Hell's Ironworks Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Dear Devs,

Since Light cannons Are useless, I would really like my Gm Alchemist to be able to combine 2 light charges to make a heavy.

With the price of saltpeter & charges , why let them go to waist?

ty.

Hell's

2. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Does anyone actually get heavy flame? or either frost? I have over 600 light flame now and have never seen any of the others. I am starting to wonder if we are doing something wrong... even the others in my normal group have only received light flame cannon-balls.

3. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

If I remember, I read a discussion some weeks ago that said that using Light Cannons is cheaper than heavies.
    I think it was along the lines of them requiring twice as many shots, but each charge costing a quarter of a heavy charge.

4. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I did a bit of research shortly after High Seas was released and posted it on UOForums in the High Seas Thread.

Basically, assuming talismans used to prevent failures, heavy charges take 24 saltpeter to make while light cannon charges take 6. Adding the 6 saltpeter for the fuse, heavy cannon shots take 30 saltpeter while a light cannon shot takes 12 saltpeter.

It takes 20 heavy cannon shots to scuttle a gargoyle ship, or 40 light cannon shots. This means the scuttling uses up 600 (30 x 20) saltpeter using a heavy cannon, and 480 (12 x 40) saltpeter using a light cannon. You expend 20% less saltpeter per scuttling using a light cannon.

(Works out to 25% less if you have the no talisman failure rate.)

For those who hunt merchant ships, light cannons save 20 - 25% saltpeter. At Chessie's saltpeter price, that saves about 120 saltpeter or 40,000 gold per scuttling.

Light cannons vs a Pirate are of course a losing proposition.

5. Yalp

Yalp Guest

that is cost in saltpeter.. what is the added cost of repairing your more heavily damaged ship from the extended battle? cloth & ingots?

6. Hell's Ironworks

Hell's Ironworks Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Not to mention time. time is money, if i can scuttle 3 ships instead of 2 in one sortie , its well worth the 40k.

If you're doing battle against a pirate ship with light cannons, your chances of being heavily damaged grow with time...

Imo Light cannons are useless, let us salvage the black powder from the charges at least.

Oh and i do have a couple of heavy flame/frost cannon balls. What i have yet to see is the fabled ¨large¨ cannon.

7. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Fighting merchant ships you go in without firing your cannons. Kill the crew with archery & spells one at a time, then once the crew is dead, start firing into the ship. Your ship is never fired on.

Being able to salvage the powder would let me make 4 light charges out of the heavy ones in a merchants hold. Salvaging powder would work for me. I'd replace the heavy cannon in the bow with a fifth light one.

I gave up hunting Pirates a month or two back. They fix the things so they all take damage, or at least let you board them once they show scuttled damage? It was getting annoying.

8. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Everybody I know has recieved only the 'light flame' cannon ball, and thats after HUNDREDS of captured pirates.

Mark_Mythic seems to think they all spawn, but he's delusional. (Remember, he's the one who argued with players about their being a fishing rep bug...)