1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Likelyhood of a revert

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Smoot, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

@Mesanna @Bleak @whoever else knows how UO works. With continual problems with the servers lately, is there a good chance there will be a revert.

If there is a good chance, i think the players would like to know to adjust play time rather than encounter a "surprise" and the frustration at having wasted their time rather than knowing.

2. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Usually a revert only happens if the files become corrupted somehow. If that were the case a revert would have already happened, since they have fixed the problem with the servers today by the look of it.

Riyana likes this.
  3. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

servers back down

4. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Why would you need a "REVERT" just because you can not log in to play while others are in-game playing with no problems before the log-in server went down? There is NOT a problem with the game, there is a problem with getting into the game to play. I am sure that those people that are still in the game will not collect everything there is to be had and leave some things for us to do when/if we get in.

5. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Reverts usually happen when there have been serious problems with a shard - the recent issues have been login, mainly, so I'd be surprised if there was anything as a result of those which would create a need to revert any shards.

Riyana and Smoot like this.
  6. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

Unless the developers are 99% sure a revert is necessary, I don't think it would be a good idea for them to speculate about it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this issue is only with the log-in servers and nothing else. I would presume with this happening multiple times this week that they are now looking deeper into this for precisely that reason.

Riyana likes this.
  7. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

i dunno, i dont know computer stuff so thats why im asking.... seems like a good possibility to me and many others ive talked to who dont do computers as a job.

8. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

See you all on 5th December 2012 again!

9. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Maybe we'll luck out and their problems will be so bad they will revert to pre-AoS, back to when the game was much more fun. *ducks!*

10. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe all the gold currently existing in the game will just "accidentally" get deleted :)

immortalsinsoul likes this.
  11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Pre Age of $hit, TOTALLY AGREE DUDE or maybe way way back to 1998.

12. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

Why stop in 1998? We all know the original DOS version of Quest of the Avatar was what truly launched the entire Ultima brand. :bdh:

Pandora Spocks likes this.
  13. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Oh no, the "Beating a Dead Horse Police" are here, everybody run and hide.

Flagg likes this.
  14. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

so is there going to be a revert or not? the stuff they are listing as trying to fix, does that have any connection to the "game" side of things if they cant fix the listed login, vet reward, etc servers?

15. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The odds of needing a revert are fairly low. Out of the servers they rebooted today, only the housing one has anything to do with game state and could, on a very odd occurrence, call for shard reverts.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  16. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

ugg, when it comes to the devs lately "odds are low" means "yes its really messed up and broken" thankyou for the info. we will hope for the best.

17. Peekay

Peekay Slightly Crazed

Ultima Online was maybe 6 years old when AoS came out... That was 12 years ago, meaning since the release of AoS this game has been functioning longer than the amount of time passed from it's launch date up to the release of AoS.
    Your logic is flawed and I think that it might just be time for you get over it and move on.

18. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Functioning yes, as fun no, and that Peekay, is the problem.

My logic is fine, and since I wasn't driven out of the game by the massive Act of Stupidity known as AoS I have dealt with it. I just went all mage with my characters and kept on having fun playing UO.

Only real problem it's been is they have had to make the newer monsters so overpowered and inclined to mob you to keep them a challenge for the super gear players. That arms race of more powerful gear still goes on, players whine and want less whimpy super gear and the Devs give it to them and make newer monsters tougher because players whine the monsters are no challenge anymore. A vicious circle, when will it end?

Lord Frodo likes this.
  19. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Lets look at this in a logical way. UO took down all warehouses and did a reboots on them.
    WAREHOUSES
    Log in; yes there was a problem logging into UO to play the game but once you were in this posed no threat to your game play.
    Promotional Codes; has anybody complained about have a problem with them lately, no.
    Vet Rewards; has anybody complained about have a problem with them lately, no.
    Housing; has anybody complained about have a problem with them lately, no.

UO has to take the system down to reboot anyone of these warehouses so why not use a little common sense (I know something we think UO is short of) and just reboot all of the warehouses. Kind of smart of UO killing 4 birds with one stone.

There have been NO game problems other than being able to log in and play so the likelihood of a revert is slim to none and the longer the log-in server is up the more remote this becomes. The time to do a revert is ASAP not wait and see.

20. Longtooths

Longtooths Supreme Commander
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend LTC

Every day that goes by lessons the likelihood of a revert. imo

Lord Frodo likes this.
  21. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

@BeaIank @Lord Frodo ---thankyou both for the detailed explanations. much easier to understand what these problems lately actually mean.

as for the housing servers, there have been some complaints that apparently the reset didnt fix (mainly not being able to demolish some houses) Hopefully this isnt something that would demand a revert, but like in all things in UO im prepared for the worst but hoping for the best :)

22. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

The game is still plenty of fun. If it wasn't I don't think as many people would have hung around this long. You're being overly dramatic here.

23. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Do not prepare to much that you do not play. Everyday as in real something can happen that needs a revert but as in real we can't always get one but in UO we can. Do not be afraid to go play in UO and in real or you may miss out on some amazing things.

Smoot likes this.
  24. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

True, but that day long ago, spent setting up and stocking a mob of vendors, to have it all vanish in a revert, was just, an inspiration, a true inspiration, for a colorful commentary on the ancestry of computer systems and their developers... :p

Lord Frodo likes this.
  25. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

LOL I can remember sitting up a war game scenario that took us 4 day to do and have the cpu take a dump on everything but sometimes you just have to say WTF and redo it all over again. $hit happens and if you play UO worrying about a revert then you will get nothing done.