1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Line of sight is not reciprocal ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Aug 28, 2009.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Recently I noticed this happening to me quite often.

If I tried casting spells against a NPC I get the message "Target cannot be seen".

Nonetheless, at the exact same location, the NPC can cast spell onto me without a inch of a problem.

Line of sight does not apply the same ?

I thought it was a universal rule that worked just alike for all.

Not the case ?

2. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

This has been broken since they started fiddling with pets line of sight and teleportation. Some of the gimpy PvPers can probably tell you when this started, as it should be the same time they lost some of their abilities to attack people in homes.

edit: around the time we got dread mares

3. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

TEH SKIE IZ FALLEHN

4. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

It's a plot to make you stand right next to the NPC so it can smother you.

5. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Maybe I phrased my question incorrectly.

My question was whether or not Line of Sight in Ultima Online works both ways or not.

I have been noticing it often with NPCs, but the question also works for PvP.....

Are there issues with Line of Sight where one party cannot target but the other can ?

Why is that ?

6. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Currently players and their pets have one set of LOS rules and mobs have another.

7. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

NOT QUITE....

Its more like....

"Currently players have 1 set of rules and pets / MOBS have a different set"

Monster / Pet Spellcasting & firebreath attacks are checked at the split second when the attack is intiated before casting and or the breath weapon animation begins. (Also pets / MOBS don't follow the same casting speed limitations that players do) What this means is that a Greater Dragon for instance can Begin it's breath weapon animation AND begin casting a Flamestrike at the same time simultaneously and the target of this can at the EXACT instant this begins start running away and effectively be up to 2+ screens away when the breath attack / Flamestrike are finished yet still be hit. The line of sight check was made when the breath / FS were started/targetted not when the attacks actually finish like players are...

Add in that breath weapon attacks from a dreadmare can do 45+ dmg and a Greater dragon ALOT more and this is just silly and broken.

8. What you said has nothing to do with Line of Sight. Pets have the same line of sight rules as players. There are many times that you get the message your pet can't see the target, but the target is casting away at your pet.

9. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

THANK YOU

10. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I like to call it cheating. Mobs cheat basically imo. They can hit us when we can't hit them. We still kill them.

At least they blow spells now, instead of being "inately magical" or whatever they called it.