1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Lock Picking] Lockpicking and Dexterity

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Dizzy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Benefactor Treasure Hunters

Does dexterity affect lockpicking? And if so, is there a calculator?

I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to switch to a Dex suit prior to picking the chest. I'm trying to eliminate those "hissing gas" messages.

2. codemonkey84

codemonkey84 Adventurer

lockpicking affects dexterity gains.

Try using skeleton keys (add +10 to lockpicking) or master skeleton keys to help reduce the lost of items.

3. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Benefactor Treasure Hunters

I do both of those, but I maximize STR and INT so I can carry more loot and cast more spells. But even with a skeleton key (does it raise my GM Lockpicking to 110?), I get the hissing gas.

Im looking for a idea of how much higher DEX will help. All of the resources I can find say higher DEX helps lockpicking, but I was looking for a more precise answer. For instance, if I raise Dex fro 10 to 30, my chance of opening a L6 treasure chance increases fro xx% to yy%.

4. Cocaine1

Cocaine1 Seasoned Veteran

Dex dosnt affect Lockpicking and its effectiveness at all.
    At start of UO skills was affected by stats and from that times ( previos millenium i belive) this info still exist in some old articles.
    As @codemonkey84 wrote above, now using Lockpicking can give you Dex gain.

5. Herp!

Herp! Adventurer

Sadly, you're just gonna have to deal with a couple hissing messages here and there. Even with GM LP, skeleton key, and 150 dex (I often run a sampire thunter if I'm bored of the tamer or bard setups I also use) I will see anywhere from 0-8(same as with 10-20 dex on other builds) hissing messages on a diabolical map.

Skeleton key does not make your lockpicking GM +10 it raises your chance of picking the lock by 10% which theoretically should push you from about a 50-60% LP chance to about 60-70%. (Numbers are very hard to actually calculate)

Hope that clears up any questions.

DreadLord Lestat likes this.