1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[email protected]@hoc

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Chaos, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

[2010/06/04-02:01] <@Zephenia> <Anon155> Any chance of a future embroidery kit that would allow "embroidering" clothing items much like other engraving kits?
    [2010/06/04-02:01] <@Mesanna> Thats a great idea I think we will steal it =P
    [2010/06/04-02:01] <@Mesanna> *grins*
    [2010/06/04-02:02] <@Supreem> But we will change it enough to call it our own!! muahaha

Now we'll probably end up with an embroidery kit that requires a quest to kill 50 rabbits and bow to every jeweler in Sorsaria. If their past record of changing things are to be believed.

hehehehe, but no, it was funny enough, its a good idea.

2. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Little disappointed by this, I guess it made sense though. :(

3. No good news for factions.

No bad news on the prospect of a classic client. We will know more before the end of the year.

4. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

It makes little sense when a few lines of script code can enlarge the CC client, why on earth can't the dev team?

And basically they're avoiding all the hard questions.

5. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Full chat log

6. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

It makes little sense when a few lines of script code can enlarge the CC client, why on earth can't the dev team?

7. canary

canary Guest

Pro: It is nice that the dev team do these.

Con: The word 'soon' by the UO team is like using vowels in a sentence. They are EVERYWHERE.

(I pray those 'art fixes' include the 6 month wait on the EC male paperdoll, sheesh. It was announced in freaking December.)

8. canary

canary Guest

The resolution can indeed be increased. I have no clue why they say otherwise, but of course I am not allowed to go into specifics here.

9. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

The game play window can be "forced" to a better resolution. Maybe the devs need to DL R@$%& and reverse engineer it to make the play window bigger.

10. Just Do It

Just Do It Visitor

They are going to continue to not give the classic client any love and force the enhanced client on people

Ill quit UO when im not allowed or cant play classic client anymore

11. canary

canary Guest

As a side note, Cal better realize what a find he has in Mesanna. I can hardly recall any other dev team member aside from Draconi who has really put forth such a visible effort for the community.

12. canary

canary Guest

I'm pretty sure 2d will be around for a good long while. EC isnt dethroning the CC anytime soon. It pretty much sealed its fate with the horrendous KR introduction and keeping the SA EC in beta for pretty much almost a year. The team has no one to blame except themselves for the shoddy art, craftmanship and inability to produce a viable client upon release. You typically only get one chance to do it right; they had two chances and blew them both.

(No, I'm not saying all around EC sucks. Merely pointing out that 'the ship has sailed'.)

13. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

As chaos mentioned, if a few lines of code can do it in a third party setting...why can't EA?

14. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Unfortunatly I beleave the 2d client is written in a very old language **like unix* and if anyone is fermiliar with it you know its hell to insert code without rewriting the whole text of code and hope it dont break a section in the upper section of code you didnt know was conected to it.

15. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

DEV's are lazy???...... Um.... none of them can figure out the old 2d client code???

Who knows.... don't care anymore working my way into the EC......

Which absolutely MUST be fixed and needs to have the KR housing menu .... SOON please!

Also... Gargoyles.... need to be able to alter more items and artifacts ..... HELLO...

Need to be able to alter them BACK to Human/Elf....

I'd rather see them fix UO and the EC before they move on to another expantion.... heck.. we still don't have everything in this expansion yet.

16. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

Re: 1900x1200 on a 24" screen... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and clearly, there's a lot of beholders working at Mythic, because nothing about the enhanced client pixelating graphics that were never meant to be scaled much less used as textures is a "beautiful" experience.

But maybe if you package special Virginia bottled water with the next expansion, we can all see it like you guys do. :p

17. I really hope they reconsider the resolution issue and take another look at it. I created another thread when third party program detection was announced and will admit, resolution is the primary reason I use an unauthorized third party program.

I dislike the enhanced clients look and prefer classic UO, but playing in a corner of my screen that is sometimes smaller then webgames sucks.

18. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Pixelated and distorted, yes, but the amount of viewable area possible more than makes up for it.

19. canary

canary Guest

Uhm, no. Not really. Either way there is zero excuse for it.

20. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

1920x1080+ gameplay window with a zoom range vs 800x600 static image, yeah, I think it makes a difference.

Mind you, I'm as much annoyed at the downgrade in resolution quality from KR to EC and want them to fix it as well, I'm just looking at the way things are right now.

21. RaDian FlGith

No, no it does not. Maybe for you, but not at all for me. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm not the only one who feels this way.

If they someday fix the EC with good, scalable graphics that look like UO is supposed to and not some impressionist's breakfast regurgitation of how they feel UO should look, then I'll consider it, but for right now, the Enhanced Client is hideous.

22. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

I agree about wanting the graphics to be higher, scalable resolution, but I do try to be pragmatic.

23. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

I love how readily Mesanna admits to being an evil supervillainess.

24. RaDian FlGith

Translation: For some reason, we can't even handle the map as well in the Enhanced Client as we can in the Classic Client.

While I'm not certain why that is, there seems to be something functionally wrong with a situation wherein new technology that you have the ability to adapt to your needs from the ground up can't handle something as well as the old technology can.

25. RaDian FlGith

After four, plus, years and two clients, my pragmatism about an improved client is starting to wane.

At this point, I'd be happier if they added toolbars to the 3D client and brought it up to date.

26. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

As others have said.. if R@@)$ can increase the resolution for Classic Client.. Why can't EA?

27. RaDian FlGith

Well, it's not really the same thing as what I think people believe it to be.

Sure, it can increase the gameplay area, but it doesn't actually increase the size of anything other than the viewport. In essence, nothing gets larger, it's the same size... which doesn't really attack the issue of things appearing smaller. In addition, a larger viewport doesn't actually mean you have any greater update radius, or attack radius.

In short, it does little to attack what the 2D client would really need, which is increased graphic size.

28. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

they could allow us to expand the window to show the full 18x18 update range...

as far as a legitimate bigger game window, it would require complete re-do of every piece of art and animation

UO was designed with a 1024x768 monitor in mind. live with it. best thing to do is dual monitor a modern widescreen with your old 17 inch

29. Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Xevei_GL - Additional House Storage upgrade? I desperately need one. Support your local packrats!
    Mesanna - That is a subject we are discussing and its something we should have an answer on before the end of summer.

Great, get ready to pay another $29.95 for 20% more storage again.

30. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

A year or so back they added embroidery thread to the ciloc lines, I've been waiting to find out what they are for. I thought we'd use them in making the cloaks out of the threads from Magincia.

31. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

You are correct in everything, but it's still a nice bonus to place in like 1024x768 than 800x600 for 2d. It's nice to see more.

32. Gelf

Gelf Guest

hhmmm I wonder what the Voodoo doll of Lord Chaos looks like?:lol:

33. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I'd personally be happy with the current resolution settings of the play window for 2D/CC, but just expanding the viewable area (which should be doable, especially after the server upgrade later this year).

Part of the reason for the limited window sizes originally was to keep update speed reasonable, and I don't think that's an issue with current computers.

And, Gelf, IMO the Lord Chaos voodoo doll is probably kept in a dark box, that they have to stick their hands into and stab blindly at the doll, for to see LC's true visage (or a simalcrum of it) would cause madness.

34. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

*imagining Mesanna grinning from ear to ear when she reads that.*:thumbup1:

35. Yen Sid

Yen Sid Guest

It's $19.99 ;). And I would pay it lol. Maybe they will add an 8th character slot and make a combo deal for the both of them for $29.99 lol. I'm down for that :D.

36. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

At very least UOAssist, But it would take the work of tug to get er done.

37. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I like how you seem to imply that you are some sort of knowledgeable programmer, while at the same time claiming that Unix is a programming language.

38. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

hmmmm. It seems to bear a very close resemblance to Popps!!!!! :)

39. RaDian FlGith

Ah, but you should be used to that on these boards by now. And if you happen to really be a programmer, expect to be told your suggestions are never as easy as they appear to be -- even if they really are. ;)

40. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

And if you point out that some "quick feature" would, in all actuality, be damn near impossible to implement, expect a dozen replies that all basically say "wtf m8 u r crazy that shud olny take lik 2 lines of code lol"

41. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Nah it was writen in 1GL.

42. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

That is quite the non sequitur you have there, sir.

43. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

In my hayday I was Cogniac, back in the 70's but that is worlds away from todays programing. Fortran, Basic, Pascal, Basica, Unix to name a few of the old languages I have played with and last time was with C++. Hehe had fun making it do sliding windows (at the time ppl thought you couldnt do it )
    Back to the point:
    Uo 's game code is the type that if you break in and place new code you have the cascadeing effects we have all seen over the years when a patch went in hence the shards going down first year and after for hours or days at a time. The newer code the Dev is using to work their magic fights with the old code to put it simply. They have learned to mesh it better over the years.
    I for one would never say to them its easy just do this ..... Till you have walked a mile in their moccasins dont squeek up on how you could do it easy. You just might be wrong.
    In the end its not EASY.

44. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Okay, how do I put this...

Unix is not a programming language, it is an operating system. So your repeated claims that it is a programming language gives off the impression that you are a colossal liar who is making things up so that people will think you're cool on an Internet message board.

45. Basara

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Actually, being a rather old former programming student myself, Unix and the original form of the C language (well before C++) were co-created to the point that many referred to them interchangibly.

Didn't their creator make the joking comment once about the C language being the first computer virus, used to infect other computers with Unix? I remember some silly comment like that in one of my textbooks.

46. At least they aren't wasting resources on halloween shards anymore...

47. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Nope Think you should look it up before you call it non-sequitur.

48. RaDian FlGith

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that it is, indeed, a non sequitur. Given that I doubt UO was programmed in a base machine language using switches or punch cards, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it probably wasn't a 1st generation programming language. You've made an illogical conclusion, and thus, it is a non sequitur. Just sayin'.

49. Nosbor

Nosbor Guest

The CC is being killed by suffocation.
    They won't ever quit supporting it.
    They won't ever intentionally break it.
    At some point in the recent past, a point was chosen where the CC was considered a dead product and it was locked in at this point.
    Don't expect any major changes to the CC anymore, OSI is only doing the minimum amount of work to keep it functional.
    Microsoft hasn't issued a content update to COM since 1997, and there are people out there that still won't go to managed extentions.

50. Basara

Excuse me?

The Halloween shards were programmed by devs in their own free time, and the "resources" used on them were a maybe a dozen man-hours by engineers installing them onto Test Center server machines, and a few hours (usually well outside paid office hours) testing them in-house before releasing them to the players and running some events on them.