1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Look Into The Scrying Bowl...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

What do you predict for the next UO videoconference? Do you think it will happen this month? Do you plan to watch it, live or recorded, or will you give it a pass? What are you expecting to hear about? Do you think there will be any "technical difficulties" this time? How 'bout submitting questions ahead of time...will we get the chance or do you think the agenda's already set?

[​IMG]

2. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I think the agenda is set ahead of time and if there's an unexpected question,the other devs will look over at Cal for the answer.

3. Vlaude

Vlaude Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I already know the answers about timing and whether it will be live or recorded, but hopefully Cal will come post in here himself :)

4. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Best guess: Sometime in late February, after the In the Shadow of Virtue event cycle is completed. (Middle to late February is my guess for when the event cycle will finish.)

By then they will have a clearer idea of what comes next.

-Galen's player

5. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Hhhmmm. I could walk into a burning building for the experience and answer some of lifes questions. Or not.

Go back and watch the last again now that time passed. Review what was answered, tap danced around and had no comment. I think I'll be mining for a few 100 Dull Copper (if not playing spider solitair) that is much needed during the next.

Go through the past post of knowledged and visionary people on the boards. Pick the best 5 to sit in front of a camera and answer players questions for 5 hours. I'd rather watch that, while holding a single button remote to the teams new shock collars. Need someone their to help with what is important and what not to scoff at. Ddzzzzzztt.

6. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I expect the "mid-January" state of the game video confrence to take place in "mid-January" 2054. By then we all should have alzheimers and forget about a classic shard.

7. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

who knows
    dunno
    recorded
    can't say, anymore
    probably
    maybe, set

8. canary

canary Guest

I honestly get the horrible feeling they fly by the seat of their pants on game development, and that very very few of them actually play the game aside from Logrus and Mesanna.

So, my answer is... I have no idea.

9. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Myst double fizzle did NOT exist. No way something that jacked up would ever exist... oh wait...

Ok fine, it does exist... something that jacked up should be fixed ASAP!!!... oh wait...

So my answer is... I have no clue neither.

10. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

more of the same cheap talk.

11. yars

yars Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

theyll be dressed warm with cooling colors and maybe cal will wear a turtleneck. :)

12. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

It's been posted that Mesanna was talking to people on her server about the colors of pets so things are looking up...:thumbsup:

13. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

:cursing:

14. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Just so they are not colored all one shade like they were dipped in a bucket of paint, or neon colors.:twak:

15. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

@Tina, Since you have PM's turned off, one quick thing... I just want to say Thanks for the list of people, and history about them, from the credits.dat file you listed the other day.

After today I no longer have the spirit to hold the fight to help keep UO great, and how much I even post anymore is now in doubt.(i know, who cares)
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've done - sorry for this thread disturbance.

16. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

I imagine that the devs will have to stop halfway through because they're being drowned out by the screaming of a thousand outraged Australians, but will attribute it to a pack of rabid feral cats.

Just a guess.

17. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Sevin, I'm glad to hear you found that post useful. And as far as the rest of what you said goes, I can relate. I suspect a lot of other people are in the same boat as far as dealing with their addiction to UO. As evidenced by how many people post regularly that they are considering closing accounts or have already closed accounts but still post occasionally, it's a tough job to just walk away and never look back. I thought I could do it, but obviously I haven't yet. I keep finding myself waiting for some "big announcement" to help push me to that point and it just never seems to happen. (Obviously this thread was my somewhat lighthearted attempt to get some news on if/when that might happen.) I suspect Cal realizes this is the case with a whole lot of subscribers these days. I'm sure he understands there are dozens, maybe even hundreds, of players who are waiting for him to say ANYTHING at all that will help them make a decision about continuing to pay their subscription fees. They may have been able to cut back drastically on their actual playing time but just can't quite keep from activating those accounts "one last time" to keep a house from falling.

Hopefully we will have real news about UO's future soon and it will help a good number of people decide one way or the other what they are going to do. Believe me when I say I understand what you're going through and as corny as it sounds, I hope you are able to make a decision about UO and perhaps gaming in general that puts you at peace with yourself. Good luck!

18. canary

canary Guest

The problem with that is that there will, most likely never be 'big news' again regarding UO.

Its playerbase is, yes, dwindling... as it has for years, but I fear we are now hitting that area where it is severely noticeable (ie houses fall, large houses even, and nothing comes up in its place... centers of community activity scarcely populated during peak hours). The UO gang is pretty much a bare bones skeleton crew at this point, and I'm guessing the budget is pretty low.

To really pull off something huge they'd need to backing of BiowareMythic, but it doesn't seem interested much in doing that. Heck, every game I know uses sites like mmorpg.com to advertise patches, changes, etc. I have seen... maybe one post for UO, and that was for the Returners or whatever. Looking back, even THAT was packaged with WAR and DAoC.

The dev team seemingly has their hands tied. They've made some fairly smart choices in recent years. The EM program continues to provide ongoing in game storylines and interaction. Mesanna does a LOT of involvement in game with the community.

But, beyond that...? Not a whole lot. We've still got a severe lack of communication (poor Oceania and Cal not telling them about the server issues, things on uogamecodes that are not advertised on the herald for days after they are released, CS issues up the hoo ha). An art team that is... lacking in talent I think is the most kind way to put it. A producer who seemingly runs things by the seat of his pants and doesn't know much about UO the game or what its players want. An aging client and a runner up client that isn't much better still carries a host of issues (and has been all but ignored by the UO team regarding development).

I mean, UO definitely needs a set direction to follow and solid goals. They need a leader with a vision of what they want it to be. They need the money to finance a better game.

They definitely need a new art team. :bored:

I mean, we all hope. I've been hoping for years. And you pray and pray they 'get it'. But we've got to have some changes from the top to realize that UO still has a ton of potential beyond just a niche market'. They need to understand it could be SO. MUCH. MORE. And they shouldn't be okay with their little market share.

19. Mairut

Mairut Guest

:lol:

20. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

When i look into the scrying bowl i see WHOLE threads getting deleted on UHall...i wonder why?

21. Specialshoes

Stratics Veteran

End of the month and full of "We can't talk about that yet"

22. canary

canary Guest

Possibly because they aren't constructive.

I did find it interesting (OT here, I apologize) that the Petra written thread from yesterday was completely erased. There was actually a very interesting dialogue going on from players and a few of the mods and it was very civil and honest.

I hope that some people who assist stratics or run it realize that 'negative' does not always equate 'must be deleted'. If that proves to be the case, they will lose a lot of their posters that way, and by that mode of thought revenue, as well.

I would surmise well over half the posts in stratics are more negative than positive. I'd highly doubt that stratics could effectively run with losing that many people with such a hit to their bottom line, financially. Because at the end of the day, to stratics, this IS a business.

23. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

It's been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. So, here you go devs, in lieu of one of my usual rambles.

:D

[​IMG]

24. copycon

copycon Guest

I will come and look at these forums first where there will no doubt be a discussion about the topics covered which could save me the time needed to watch the video. :thumbsup:

I think that the questions will be answered selectively much like the "Ask the Devs" forum, but truthfully I only care about one question which I hope they put to bed finally.

25. What do I expect?

- No classic shard in the foreseeable future due to cost of development
    - More (empty) promises that UO will continue to grow and thrive
    - Information about the Maginicia event
    - Announcement of some new collection of items or booster pack
    - Possible announcement of UO going Free-to-Play

*Disclaimer: Nothing in the above post is meant to convey a negative context as it is simply my opinion, which was given in response to an inquiry as to what my opinion was. Thank you.

26. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend

I think the CC question will still not be answered with a yes/no but some other form of maybe meant to seem like a definitive.

Also, you forgot the promises to fix all the problems brought about by the HS booster.

Everything else I wouldn't bet against.

27. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

That would make a great puzzle! Or poster! I wonder if EA would allow you to have that made and sell it? Is it your work?

28. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Sad to say I agree with most all of this.... especially about the art team.

I sometimes wonder what would happen and how much UO would improve if they just turned the game over completely to EA/Japan..... and allowed them to develop and make changes to the game.

But I somewhat doubt that would happen, but it seems to me that EA/Japan is FAR more organized, up to date with things, more in touch with the players in Japan... and more in tune with what the playerbase would like and their CS is VASTLY superior.

As for what or when the next video conference will be.... does it really matter? I do predict though that if Mesanna is there..... they will not be telling us anything we don't already know and it will leave everyone confused as to just what is going on.... and we will be given more BS about what cool stuff is coming only to be highly disappointed when it actually Does happen if it does happen.

Though sometimes I wonder if the next big announcement isn't going to be..... "Hey it's been a fun ride but now that we've made the Hall of Fame and all..... um.... shards are going down tomorrow. Enjoy!"

29. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

It was just something to do, Trebr. I've never been interested in making money from UO. Here's what that picture might look like as a jigsaw puzzle, though:

[​IMG]