1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for pics of the 14th anniversary items

Discussion in 'UO Developer Feed' started by UODevTracker, Sep 24, 2011.

1. UODevTracker

UODevTracker Guest

2. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

All I have to say is, :)

-Grimm

3. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Hmm. I'm not sure if you are asking if the display cases are in or out of perspective. I believe both are correct, but I don't have any tools to draw anything out at the moment. They both look correct to me though.

-Grimm

4. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

So before I go any further, I would like to say that in discussing UO perspective, I am not debating "right" and "wrong" perspectives, I am simply commenting on the perspective as it appears to be established. I will use the floor tiles as my "universal guide" since they are the things that truly define the perspective. If you look at the tiles, they are equilateral squares turned 45 degrees. This means that you can draw a perfect circle and it touch all 4 sides, or all 4 corners. So any object with a circular top will show as a perfect circle. This is technically accurate to the perspective as established in UO. You can also look at those housing tile blocks that take up an entire tile, the tops are the exact same shape and size as the bottom. This also shows that regardless of height, the circular perspective should hold true.

I will also add that just because a perspective is accurate, it might not always be the most visually appealing. The fountain is a perfect example. The original artists skewed the perspective of the fountain twice - once on the bottom basin, and a second time on the top basin. I think this was because the artist felt that this looked better aesthetically than if the fountain was more perspective "accurate". From my point of view, that was the right call.

I've had some really terrific art conversations over the last week, and this topic was amongst them. I look forward to hearing more alternate opinions on artwork and perspective!

Cheers to all,
    -Grimm

5. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Yup, one of the few pieces that I actually did the artwork as well as the design for! Thanks for the kindness!