1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for shop ideas? Post pics please!

Discussion in 'UO Homes and Castles' started by Samantha_deWintr, May 25, 2009.

1. I am decorating a shop, mostly white marble, on Moonglow Island. It's 14x17 and the first two floors are partly patio (for vendors) and partly indoor (for storage). I'm looking for ideas for shop deco. I'm hoping for a "working" shop with things like spinning wheel, scribe desk, etc. along with lots of storage. I would love to see what other people have done with their shops.

2. you really need to travel more

That shop was neat!
  3. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Apr 25, 2001
    Figure out how many vendors you're going to have then try to arrange them how you would like, and plan your deco around them. Unless it's just a few vendors (5 or less) then you can usually do deco first and plop vendors down later.

I like to display wares I am selling in front of the vendor. But that's mainly because I have 10000000 vendors, and even with displays out people still ask me where stuff is. (Hi my name is Sarah, and I'm a vendor addict.) :p

Depending on where the road is in orientation to your house, might affect where you stick your vendors. - if its to the west then you'll want to put them out on that patio area, or if its closer to the front door then stick them on the porch. The roof is also good. You'll get more traffic with visible vendors than those inside the house.

Moonglow is lovely, but it really doesn't get too much traffic in general. So drop a lot of runes regularly, and put shop runes on one or all of your vendors. You may also want to look at marking a small rune library (t map is good), or orienting your shop around a particular clientele. Like you could specialize in items to help the new player get going (cheap 100% LRC suits, -29 spell channeling wands, cheap armor with good phys resist, etc) then name your shop "the new player haven" or something similar.

It really depends on what you're going to sell. If you want to make money then you'll probably go in a different direction (like champ spawn replicas or doom arties), however the more pricey an item is the more it will cost you in vendor fees over time, which is why rune dropping and gating at prime time hours becomes crucial.

Large marbles are beautiful, but marble can be a little cold. So throw some heritage rugs around, put up paintings and tapestries, and put a lot of plants around. You could also tailor your deco to what your shop sells - if you decide to sell plants then you can make a rooftop garden with elven benches and put a fountain up there, etc.
  4. Thank you Sarsmi, those are some great ideas and excellent food for thought. I had definitely planned to aim more towards new players so a rune library is a great idea and I appreciate the ideas about goods to sell since it's been a WHILE since I've played, I'm just starting back after a long time away. I'm also planning to stock lots of potions in kegs and 10-packs, recall and mark scrolls (and blank runes), city and dungeon runebooks, full spellbooks, and I have a friend who wants to run a reg vendor. So it should be a nice place for the new players to suit up and get ready for adventure.

Thanks Lord Drakelord, I'll have to check out that shop for ideas.