1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mage questions...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Goron, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Goron

Goron Guest

...I am going to try and play Goron more again. But as such I need to learn some methods to avoid the problems that caused me to shelf him for the past couple months.

1) How do I defend/mitigate against dismounts?
    I always feel very vulnerable to dismounts. With my stealthers I can just egg bomb and be fine. With Strangelove I can usually just... well... survive (like last [email protected] luna- even a modest guy has rights to brag about that! I don't know how I survived so long on foot, to the point that I stopped getting targeted giving me time to mount an ethy:D).
    But on Goron I get knocked on foot and I am pretty much dead instantly.

2)How do I fight melee chars?
    When I play as a dexxer it seems like I can be chasing a mage and they are able to cast on the run- but as Goron, it feels like when I cast I am stuck forever and I get whooped by the dexxer (I wear max cast).

Umm... yeah, thats all for now. If I can get some ideas on those two bits I will at least try and make some appearances on the field again.

2. Critical Gaming

Critical Gaming Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

1) How do I defend/mitigate against dismounts?

1. Ride a real mount so you can re-mount it after the timer
    2. Try to teleport somewhere (use the terrain to your advantage)
    3. Have a good guild that heals/invisses you.

2)How do I fight melee chars?

1. Learn to disrupt their heals (whether it be bandages or chiv heals)
    2. Use big spells (and learn when to hold them so they stack)
    3. Utilize para-punch
    4. Don't spam weaken and magic arrows to make it look like you're good. That doesn't work on melee characters. =(
    5. If all else fails, disarm.

3. Righty

Righty Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

all good tips from Critical Gaming. Here's a few extra that could help.

To defend against dismounts its very simple: Faction stronghold rune ftw!

Against dexxers: Don't forget to use mana vamp too!

4. archite666

archite666 Guest

RIGHTY! You stole my pvp handbook! How could you?

Seriously, I am so freakin notorious for the stronghold rune, the other day I got killed and Loki took my rune, got off his mount and was like " look i'm cash" as he teleports away

5. Goron

Goron Guest

thanks for tips... faction rune will be a good one for use while practicing:)

6. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Ummmm...... "faction runes?"

7. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

umm... WoW Fails Poop Face Quit That Crap!

8. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

I am not sure which mage template you play but you may want to add parry to him. It's a big advantange if you can 65 DCI with the faction arties your pretty much a B**** to hit. That will at least stop the dexxer from dominating you, the dismounter bows from dismounting you, and as Critical said use a real mount... so you can get back on him.

9. Black magick

Black magick Guest

Everything thats been said so far. However, couple bigger spells with lesser spells. Mindblast, lightning, and fireball are pretty effective, and will normally keep people on your screen long enough to kill them. Running around casting like an idiot helps too. XD

10. Goron

Goron Guest

I'm actually not too bad on the casting part. I can hold my own long enough 1v1 to satisfy me. The problem comes when I am getting hit in melee... That's where I fail.

11. Black magick

Black magick Guest

Another thought, why not practice with some of your guildies?

12. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Necro??

If so... pain spike to lower stamina, coupled with blood oath.

With the new changes you may be able to keep them on long enough to make the dexxer think twice, oh and curse...drop resist and stats.

I think the best tactic (although im not a good mage) would be to try and drop there stamina as much and as quickly as possible.

13. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Well I have came up with a nice template for offense and defense...

100 magery
    100 Anatomy
    100 Inscribe
    120 Parry
    120 Eval
    120 Resist
    60 Med

This template is very effective.

Also like Tek or Freesly not really sure who is playing Critical Gaming...

Ride a real mount, and also have a UOA Macro for all follow and mount all on one macro...

It is also good to have a dismount macro to avoid bolas... When you see an enemy pop out and he is on foot 99% of the time you know he is throwing a bola so you hit the dismount macro wait a few seconds long enough for him to fail the bola then remount.

If you wanna really insure that you are going to get out alive carry a pet ball with a second bonded mount linked to it and a seperate UOA macro just for that pet... while they are busy killing your original pet just summon your alt and mount up and head for the hills...

Also like Critical gaming said use the enviorment... Teleport away if there are a lot near you cast protection so you can get off heals etc until you can reach the wall to teleport to safety.

14. Goron

Goron Guest

'duels' are not real combat. Field fights are an entirely different situation than 1v1 confined fights. I couldn't care less about being good at fighting with specified expectations and conditions. And I have no desire to run around the open fighting a guildmate- both of us will end up dead.

Not to mention, the whole issue at hand is my concern at fighting dismounts and melee. Dismounts are often unexpected and that cannot be simulated in a fight with guildmates. Fighting a dexxer takes space and terrain, which means being out in the open and vulnerable to ambush.

15. Black magick

Black magick Guest

Duels are pretty much worthless really. Not what I meant anyway... Simulate a field fight, get off map and vent. Have them set up what they want, if you could get luna open use the whole thing, or elsewhere. Run around, whoever finds you attacks and go from there. Good practice for you, and teamwork practice for your guild.

16. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Actually duels can help you a lot more than you think... See while dueling or playing around for fun like fighting a mage and a dexer etc... You will sharpen your defensive skills.

Dueling is really good for field fighting. For example if you look at the top duelist on this shard you will notice they rarely die and thats because there defense is very sharp...

17. Goron

Goron Guest

lol... who is the top duelist?
    I don't want to turn this thread into a epeen match but- rarely dying on the field has very little to do with skill... When was the last time you killed Goron? I haven't died on him in months, does that make me skillfull? No, it just means I leave him in house unless we have great numbers advantages.

There is a big difference between combat skill and careful playing. If I play safely I wouldn't die nearly as much- but frankly its not nearly as fun.

Take just ten minutes ago as an example. I was home for lunch and decided to check Blighted. Caught Carbon Copy down there and failed to kill him with my ambush. He even told me reinforcements were wanting to come, but waiting on a gate- yet I stuck around and actually even came back with an actual combat character (Strangelove). We all know someone like Forsaken would NEVER do that. He would sit in Brook's until he had five more people to go. And as such he doesn't die often. He plays carefully. I play for fun.

Continuing my story red Carbon came, and I fought him even after knowing Calaman Barre was there. When Calaman showed up he was gracious enough to not attack but regardless I still didn't run off like many of your so called "skillful" fighters would have. Again, I was out for action, not to play it safe. I only had a couple of minutes so I wanted them to count.

I appreciate the advice you offer about duels possibly being beneficial to field fight skills regarding defensive skill sharpening, but your reasoning is misguided by associating that to not dying often. By default, between two players of the same skill, the one that actually risks and fights more often will die more often- the one that 'plays it safe' and hides behind numbers will die less often.

But back on subject- I am not sure how to practice defensive maneuvering in a duel if I am constricted to small spaces. The two most often suggested tactics int his thread were 'ride a real mount' and 'use terrain and teleport'... neither of those work in a duel.

18. Goron

Goron Guest

oh, and good fight carbon copy...
    Sorry for the anti-climatic ending. My puppy wanted to get in my lap so the last bit when I stopped moving it was cuz I was playing with one hand- then when he actually got on my lap I needed both hands to put him down beside me... by the time I got back in position I was dead:-(

I can't be mad at him tho, just look at that face:
    [​IMG]

19. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Well I actually meant duelist's But if you really want the answer to who is the top that would be Forsaken...

You ask for help I try to give it to you and you then make a cry post... I mean if you don't like what I tell you that's fine but I was only trying to help you... If you gon't want my help because you dislike me that's fine. I want even bother next time.

20. Goron

Goron Guest

Ok, now a question about dismounting in anticipation for bola.
    Will just dismounting and immediately remounting break the bola? Or do I need to be dismounted at the moment the bola fires?
    if its the latter case, besides just timing and waiting until you are sure its safe before remounting, is there any method to determine if/when the bola shot? Is there a message or something that I never noticed before? or do you just have to time it right?

21. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Dueling does not mean mage vs mage... I like to duel all templates... I even like to fight against the odds and have a group of my guild try to kill me mage and a dexer etc etc..

22. Goron

Goron Guest

???

I saw no crying... I simply pointed out differences between risky playing a careful playing. Also please re-read this part of my post:
    I am pretty sure I clearly said I appreciate your advice. Then I continued to say that a portion of your advice I felt to be misguided, not the whole concept, only the one relation. I apologize for stating my opinions that Forsaken is a careful and meticulous player. Next time I will hold them to my self. I just felt that the understanding that I am a slightly more carefree (some might want to read that as careless) player might help you and other people in understanding my playstyle and thus be able to provide me with more directed advice.

23. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

Not to **** in your cheerios here Sir, but the Carbon Copy in Blighted was Forsaken and you even stated yourself, you haven't been playing so how would you know when my Forsaken char is playing? Oh, that's right.. you wouldn't..

Ask LOW, JSV, TDO+, THC about this scrub, "Forsaken" they fight, I've been told that scrub is a beast. ^^ Not my words.

See, you'd have to actually play more before you spew off at the mouth. We've had many fights as of lately at; Demon Temple, Wrong, Despise-Destard, and Luna. All of which, I kept my tamer logged out, in his house.

It's not our fault TnT can't compete these days with the loss of their members to LOW. It's definitely not my fault that you can and will get schooled on any character I play.

Until next rant! :bowdown:

24. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Have someone who is stealthing throw a bola at you and figure out what the timer is. Then do again and about half way during the time it took for him to throw it manually dismount your self do not wait until the bola is thrown or you will be knocked off you have to manually dismount before the bola is thrown...

Normally a bola will be thrown from a player stealthing. So you now know the guy who just popped out on foot is probably targeting you with a bola... dismount wait out that timer and then mount back up and sprint away from him.

Also if you see an enemy on a mount and they hop off and start running on foot chances are they had a bola prepped and are now in the process of throwing it at you. So just manual dismount wait out the timer and then mount up and sprint away again.

25. Goron

Goron Guest

And just like I claim, in our fight I was alone, you had reinforcements. Like I claim, you fight with numbers you run when at a disadvantage. You play carefully and safely. Or are you going to try and claim I was not solo? Go on, flex your epeen, talk more ****, see if I care. As I said, I had fun at the fight and I felt it was pretty close at time. Go ahead, claim you were never near death all you want- claim I was making up excuses about my dog- doesn't matter to me. I had a fun little fight and it satisfied my desire for action while home for lunch. Let me guess, you are not going to sell my stuff back because it makes you feel good deep down inside?

I don't play enough these days to worry about **** talking and board pvp.

26. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Practice and get the timing down.

And Strange, I looted like 3 pieces of your armor they are on my homare vendor. 20:1, as well as 3 items of Neo's.

27. Goron

Goron Guest

ok so you need to be dismounted at the time it fires... I guess ill need to spend time learning the timing then. Thanks.

Next question- you suggested carrying a petball for backup mount, how well does that work if I am possibly getting whacked on? Doesn't the petball cast get interrupted?

28. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It works pretty well you woud be surprised. again on a mage protection is your friend. I'm not sure if protection works for the pet ball but you can def teleport off screen a few times and summon your pet.

29. Goron

Goron Guest

what the flip... I stopped using protection because someone told me not to in the field... I forget who or why but it seemed to make sense.

Maybe it was cuz my skill wasn't high enough for the resist bonus from reactive armor or something...
    Does any of that make sense?

Ok... so should I wear protection at all times? or just put it up on a contextual basis?

30. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Protection is a low level spell and can be casted pretty fast... so don't use it at all times it just good for when you get dismounted and have a heavy gank on your ass.

31. Goron

Goron Guest

ok... thats probably actually the advice I got previously and I just kinda forgot. Cuz I used to run protection 24/7.

Thansk

32. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

You cry way too much. The fact it took you about 6/7 minutes total to come remotely close on a tamer that can't attack you is, GREAT!

But hey, nice going? If you need help on your running skills for when someone who can hit back, be sure to hit up D, he's REALLY good at it.

33. Goron

Goron Guest

:grouphug:
    I already said I wasn't interested in talking about your epeen. You can take that to another thread. If you want to give me mage advice feel free to continue posting other, otherwise I'd appreciate if you went away.

I'm just trying to have fun- you can keep all your personal self esteem issues -well- personal.

We are :grouphug: here, you can take your problems elsewhere.

34. Goron

Goron Guest

is that enough meditation?

Right now I am on track for
    120 mage
    120 eval
    120 scribe
    120 resist
    120 wrestle
    120 med

What would you wear with your setup? I'd assume a boatload of mana regen?

35. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

You try so hard ... Next time you want to keep a thread clean, try not crying so much and putting people in your thread aka me. I'd also suggest getting facts before posting nonsense, but then again, you are who you are.

36. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Depends on how you run it. And you can't have 120 Scribe but i'm sure that was a mistake hehe...

Faction Orny has mr3, faction crystaline ring mr3, faction RBC mr3

Orny + RBC = 25 LMC if you wear a totem that 35 LMC so only need 5 LMC on a piece of armor

I run the following items

Faction Items
    Orny
    Crystaline Ring - puts me at 120 Magery, mr3, hpr, sdi...
    Fey Leggs
    RBC
    DCI 25 Glasses
    Crimson Cincture

Other items
    Totem of the Void
    Cursed Arcane shield
    DCI Quiver

37. Goron

Goron Guest

NO WONDER IT HAS NOT BEEN GOING UP!!!!
    hehe, j/k

Yeah mistake on my part, meant 100. Which bugs me because I hate having 20 skill points left over which is worthless when human.

hmm, Crystaline ring eh? I never realized/knew how good those were...
    What if I take baby steps and start by dropping magery to 100, putting my med down, and start raising parry or anatomy. Then, stone my wrestle and work on the other skill... if I do that, should I work anat or parry first? Or maybe I should just stone the wrestle now and work both?

38. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

*cough*

I have to say i am changing my template do to me getting my face pwned by dexxers.
    I will say dueling is definatly helpful it helps you with timing your spells what spells fit in certain situations.
    I honestly think that dueling is one of the harder arts to master in uo thus why i enjoy it. Experience is everything while playing a mage template

39. Goron

Goron Guest

Time to necro this thread.

... Elf or human?

For now assume I am sticking with
    120 mage
    120 eval
    120 med
    120 wrestle
    120 resist
    100 scribe
    ....(some are not scrolled to those values yet though:sad4:)
    I am currently elf...
    SHould I stay elf or go human, and if possible please indicate reasons

Now, alternatively, let us suppose I take Kage's suggested template:
    100 magery
    100 Anatomy
    100 Inscribe
    120 Parry
    120 Eval
    120 Resist
    60 Med
    or something along those lines... elf or human?

Thanks

40. RichDC

RichDC Guest

On my limited mage experience, i would say, both human :p

The main raesons are JOAT spellweaving (attunement, gift of renewal and natures furies), extra MR(joat focus) and 2SR as well as the inate 2hpr. Joat hiding and other handy Joat skills(tracking a nice addition for siege)

The only one i could concieve to be elf would be the second as you have only 60 med so the extra mana could be usefull.

41. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Human all the way sir. Just trust me :)

42. Selan

Selan Guest

Dude, someone hit your rat in the face with a board.

I do like pugs, they breath crazy.

43. Goron

Goron Guest

I got my little buddy the surgical procedure that opens up the nasal passages a little- so he has a bit better breathing than normal... even then- he still has some hardcore breathing sounds at times:)