1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mage Tamer?

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by Capt. Lucky, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

My son is interested in this and now I'm interested lol. He wants to be a mage but also would like to ride and control something like a nightmare. Is this viable? Sounds like a lot of skills, but never played a tamer so I'm not sure. Help please!

2. Capt. Lucky

Well, I'm kinda thinking

animal taming
    lore
    vet
    magery
    eval int
    med
    resist spells

Seems resist is the skill not used so much in the above template. I'm not really comfortable not having it. I'm thinking with suits, scrappers, jewelry, etc I can expand on the above. Hmmm any thoughts? :p

3. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I have run that template and really liked it...get your pet to engage and stand back a safe distance and fire spells

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  4. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I run the following (off the top of my head)

120 taming (+30 on jewels)
    120 lore
    100 vet
    120 mage
    115 eval
    100 hiding
    80 stealth (10 on cloak)

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  5. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I have several mage tamers on different shards, always built like this:

120 Magery
    120 Eval
    120 Med
    120 Taming
    120 Lore
    100-120 Vet

If I go 100 vet I just throw on 20 focus, as it helps elven characters with stamina loss. I don't use resist on these characters, never saw the need for it. I carry apples, petals, and a trapped box to combat curses/poison/para. Suits are set up for max dci and a mage weapon for defensive purposes. I don't PvP with tamers, so the lack of resist on a PvM template like this has never been a problem for me.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  6. Mac

Mac Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I started out with the same template, it works very well.

After awhile, well, actually, when I returned 7 months ago and wanted to tame a GD for myself, I dropped Med and resist, and added music and peace. As a peace tamer, there didn't seem to be anything that is tameable that was out of reach (taming is 115, vet is 115, lore is 120). After getting a good GD, and fighting more than taming, dropped peace, and picked up Disco. What a way to fight!

Good luck, its a lot of fun.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  7. kitiara-atlantic

kitiara-atlantic Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

One of my tamers is a mage tamer with vet/lore/taming, magery/med/eval/spellweaving (scrolled and jeweled to 120). It's a fun template, though I'm still working on mastering the spellweaving end of it. It's nice to be able to participate offensively with magery (whereas my tamer bards have no med/eval and therefore can't do much but heal).

twelch81 and Capt. Lucky like this.
  8. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Certifiable

I love my Mage/SW/Tamer. I get to cast offensive spells as well as heal, with Word of Death being GREAT to end the fight with. The downside was I had to drop Med for SW. But I do have a lot of MR so it works well. You might try it.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  9. Capt. Lucky

Awesome ideas from people who know. It's greatly appreciated. And as I expected there's 10 ways to do the same thing lol.

Keith of Sonoma likes this.
  10. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

120 Taming
    110 Lore
    120 Eval Int
    120 Magery
    120 Resisting Spells
    55 Chiv
    90 Vet (I use enhanced bandages so my vet heals at 100)

This is a fantastic template for farming pets. All my taming skills are scrolled up to 120 and I use a separate set of jewels to bring my taming skills up to 120/120/120 for stable slots, and to rez pets. I think I have 55 skill points in my suit, and I use a second suit that has lower skills, but still high enough to control all pets at 99%, doesn't have all 70's resists, but has high mana regen and high sdi for pvm. I use my primary suit and template for pvp as well, and because I use the enhanced client I can switch jewels and suits instantly with the press of a button.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  11. Darius Bloodbain

Darius Bloodbain Adventurer
    Lake Austin - TF

Capt. Lucky,
    I have same template as your first post in the thread. Has worked well for me for years.
    I do like some the other peoples templates who posted too.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  12. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

I should note that my template requires that you keep your karma very high, or the chiv won't be much use for curse removal, which is what I use it for.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  13. Capt. Lucky

Since I'm doing this on a Dread Lord that's good info, lol. It's my son's account and I don't normally think much about negative karma. Although I did have some pixies (or something, can't remember) kick my butt with this character. Mostly cause I had no idea they were gonna go bat crazy on me, lol.

14. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

I guess you aren't going to be farming cu sidhe then... :)

TimberWolf likes this.
  15. Capt. Lucky

I'm just tanking up this character for my son :) After that it's not my problem. He wants a mage that can ride a dread mare, all I know lol I'm not even a tamer... guess I might learn a little though in the process.

16. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

You're probably going to learn that training taming sucks... ;)

kRUXCg7, azmodanb and DJAd like this.
  17. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Mage/Tamer is basically the original Tamer template. I have 2 old Mage/Tamers on Napa.
    Zeus is 120 Taming/120 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/80.0 Resist.
    Aries is 110 Taming/110 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/GM Resist.
    Both use Swords of Prosperity for -0 Mage Weapon and 200 Luck, and Aries uses the Birds of Britannia Talisman to bring him up to 115 Taming/Lore. The build is very solid, capable of using the pet for damage, while being able to dish out some damage yourself with Slayer spellbooks.

Another build i like using, is the Disco Tamer. Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Med/Music/Disco. Discord makes opponents alot easier for your pet to tear through, but you yourself can't deal much damage, asides from Despair with a Slayer instrument.

18. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

I have a mage/tamer very close to these temps and they are a lot of fun. Key to my suits are SD, LMC, and MR. All 70's and throw in some MI and Int and you should have a pretty solid suit. It is tough to finish off the template without topping off some skills with jewels or other items but for a PVM template you will be able to deal damage yourself and have your pet tank/damage for you and use vet to heal your pet reserving your mana for mage spells and bardsongs.

But I actually prefer my bard/tamer. I have a similar template to this except I've dropped med and added peace so i'm basically a disco/peace/tamer and magery has basically become a utility skill. I can use disco for debuffs, peace for crowd control and my pet for tanking and damage. Basically I just sit back and control the fight. The drawback to not having Med on this template is the mana required for the upkeep of bardsongs. With LMC and MR built into my suit I can sustain one bardsong for myself and my pet indefinitely but two songs will drain me in about 3-4 minutes which really isn't that horrible.

No matter what other skills you choose being a tamer is a very fun template.

...oh and mares are fun but if you can get a cu as a mount i would advise going that route. They don't have magery but have higher dps when trained as well as having far superior survivability compared to a mare. Oh and they have healing and can heal themselves as well as you in a pinch.

19. ivester77

ivester77 567457598 [UWF]
    UWF

Drop the vet

20. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Lol ya like that will go well on a tamer forum...lol troll :)