1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mage Weapons-Gain melee skill or magery?

Discussion in 'UO Spellcaster' started by Leira of Asrai, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Leira of Asrai

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

When you equip a Mage Weapon and fight monsters, do you gain in the weapon's melee class or do gain in magery?

The reason I'm confused is because I thought you gained magery, but I just read in the Magery FAQ above that you actually gain in the melee.

Which one is it? Thanks

2. Leira of Asrai

I just ran to Despise and tried it out.

You gain in Magery. Maybe the FAQ can be updated to be a little more clear on that issue. Thanks.

3. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Actually you will gain in whichever skill is the highest. If you have 100 fencing and 0 magery, and equip a short spear with -27 magery you will default to using fencing skill and gain fencing.

4. GFY

GFY Guest

In my experience you gain on either magery or weapon skill, depending on which one you have set to gain. When I'm working magery I lock the weapons skill of the weapon type I'm using and go hit stuff.

5. Leira of Asrai

What about bows. Does the Mage Weapon - attribute work with bows as well? In other words, can my caster use a bow at equivelent archey skill with the Mage Weapon mod?