1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Malware?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Yadd of Legends, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Twice in the last two days this Softwareupdaterlp gump has popped up when I logged into Stratics. Both times I ran malware programs after it appeared. It's not popped up anywhere but Stratics. I can't imagine this is intended?
    malware.jpg

2. Peekay

Peekay Slightly Crazed

Scan your system, kaspersky + malwarebytes. A lot of flash 0days recently, scan then update flash.

3. Lythos-

Lythos- Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I reported this very site yesterday to Ron and he said it would go to the blocked list. Guess he hasn't?

Yadd of Legends likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

Ironically, this never popped up for me until I opened this post.

5. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

So it sounds like it is connected to Stratics

hungry4knowhow likes this.
  6. hungry4knowhow

Stratics Veteran

It's definitely stratics related. I only get the popup/website change on this site.

7. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I got it as well a few days ago. It only popped up on the stratics page. I would close the browser, reopen it navigate to here, it popped up. I closed the browser, opened it again, went to some other site, it didnt pop up. Rinse repeat, same issue. This was using Chrome. I checked with others in gen chat, no other chrome users on at the time, and the Firefox users said they never had it happen to them.

8. hungry4knowhow

Stratics Veteran

FWIW I use I.E. and get the issue

9. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

I primarily use chrome and sometimes firefox (stopped using IE awhile back) and have never seen this message. I'm using Norton Security for anti-virus.

Ron Bron likes this.
  10. Ron Bron

Ron Bron Former President
    VIP Contributor Alumni

This is a Google AdSense issue. Several other communities are experiencing the same thing and Google is aware of it and working to correct. Unfortunately the URL that displays after the redirect is not the same URL that is causing the redirect to begin with, so it is difficult to track and block. I'm working with the rest of the AdSense community to track down the real culprit so we can block it properly. Sorry for the annoyance.

Yadd of Legends likes this.
  11. Lythos-

Lythos- Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for clarifying the double url. I'll make sure I get both url links next time.

Don't apologize cause it's not your fault. Maybe Kim K really did break the internet. :eyes:

12. Ron Bron

VIP Contributor Alumni

I have found that the Google chrome popup blocker prevents these from displaying.

13. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Meh, don't like hearing a google adsense issue and then hearing another google product has the magical solution to avoiding it. Makes me distrust....

14. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I had Norton autodelete an automap file followed a few minutes later with a flash player update message, which Norton warned me was malware, and was immediately followed by a Windows required update notice that Norton also said was malware. I restored the computer to the factory installation and reinstalled UO, no more problems. I'm using WIN 8.1 as of a week or so ago and I think I need to be more wary of downloading things. I'm not using an older OS anymore.

15. Ron Bron

VIP Contributor Alumni

Some other solutions, but I haven't tested any of these:

http://removevirusmalware.com/remove-softwareupdaterlp-com-virus/
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-softwareupdaterlp-com-virus/
    http://www.removeviruspro.com/how-to-get-rid-of-softwareupdaterlp-com-pop-up/
    http://www.pccaretips.com/blog/steps-to-get-rid-of-softwareupdaterlp-com-popup-forever.html

These are mostly solutions to if you clicked on the link from the popup or were infected somehow else. According to these articles, the adware infection is usually introduced when installing something.

"This malicious browser extensions is typically added when you install another free software (video recording, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program.
    When this malicious extension is installed, when you will browse the Internet, an ad from SoftwareUpdaterlp.com will randomly pop-up. SoftwareUpdaterlp.com will display a pop-up box stating that you need to updated or install a piece of software (eg: Java, Flash Player, Web browser). If you click on the “Download”, “Run Update” or “Click to install now” button, instead of installing an update, you’ll agree to download an adware or a malicious programs onto your computer."

"Usually they have a long written Privacy Policy that tell people what they will collect, but few people read it. The producers of SoftwareUpdaterlp.com pop-up are very good at promoting it in various ways. That’s why there are so many computers get affected by SoftwareUpdaterlp.com pop-up."

That said, I understand that all of those articles recommend installing something to get rid of it... I'd recommend using your own anti-virus/malware program to perform a scan and manually look to see if you have adware installed on your PC.

Scribbles likes this.
  16. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

I haven't seen the popup in several days now, whereas before it was pretty frequent - so I'm thinking it's fixed

Ron Bron likes this.
  17. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

LOL

I never saw it at all. Guess they weren't interested in my old Vista machine running IE :D

18. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I use Firefox with pop up blocker. I have not seen it pop up for me.