1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Lumberjacking] Max Tree Whacks

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by PlayerSkillFTW, May 1, 2014.

1. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

So, anyone know the maximum amount of times a tree can be hit for wood? I know that some trees can be hit more or less than others can, so what's the max? I want to make a runebook full of max hit trees so if any of them turn into Heartwood/Bloodwood/Frostwood, i'll get the max amount from them.

2. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

So far in Ter Mur, the max hits i've been able to get on a tree is 20, so 200 wood.

3. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I think it was 16 or maybe that is mining could be 20 can be deceiving though if it respawns just as you finish.

4. mellifluant

mellifluant Adventurer

The highest I've seen is about 120 swings... which in Fel = a lot of wood XD

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  5. Tuan

Tuan Slightly Crazed

Yeah, there are trees that give many 100s of wood, but in the 100s of times I visited those trees, for whatever reason, they were never one of the truly rare woods.

kRUXCg7 and mellifluant like this.
  6. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

One thing sure, you can always measure them in 40's in all areas other than Fel. They give multiples of 40 logs, 80 logs, 120 logs etc on up to ?

7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

There is no stated max per tree, unless something changed in my year hiatus.

There has always appeared to be more to the resource code than the last decade's worth of Devs thought.

Essentially, there are 2 variables range for each resource square for mining, and separate ones (of similar type) for lumberjacking.

These variables are base chance for colored material, and number of digs/chops.

The number of chops (wood) and number of digs (mining) variable ranges differ for EVERY resource square, but are apparently permanent and were set at some point in the past (shard creation, most likely), though might have been modified with the launch of Mondain's Legacy. There's stories in the old days of "magic trees" seem to have indicated either trees whose # of chops took longer to reach than the reset time for the resource square, or were bugged - either of which might have been fixed as part of the coding for colored wood in ML.

The base chance for colored material is supposed to be fixed, at least by statements given by devs, but anyone who has ever mined or chopped knows better. Each square is different (and has different numbers for wood and mining). Elves have a bonus, but instead of it being a 40% chance for non elves, +20% for elves, it's whatever the resource square chance is (I've seen spots that have been reliably as bad as <10% to as good as >80%, and have remained so for a decade) for non-elves, with the base chance apparently multiplied by 120% for elves (so a 10% spot would be 12% for an elf, and an 80% spot being 96%). And, the ratio stays the same for all the ores wood, as the sites randomly shift between types; even when a mining spot is iron only, and a tool used to allow colored ore, the normal colored ore chance for that spot will express itself once the elevation occurs.

When I was resource gathering regularly, a couple years ago, some places would do as little as 6 chops/digs, and some I could get 30 from - and that's without even going to Fel, just more out of the way parts of Trammel, Malas and Ilshenar with a human. The only rule of thumb was that the closer you were to civilization in Trammel, the lower the resource output for trees, and that caves/mines/dungeons produced better ore numbers - and even then, there was occasionally an outlier (one crappy spot surrounded by great stuff, or vice-versa) if you were REALLY methodical in your searching.

This make any sense?

8. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Aww ... the old mystery of the magic trees ... :D

It was said that it has something to doo with overlapping resource grids near serverlines. What simply means you will get on average more hits on trees for wood near them than somewhere else. And there are sometimes magical trees where 2 serverlines cross each other. From what I ve heard those locations are server independant. Thought i dont know many of those trees/places.

Aww ... the mystery of the non-spawning coloured wood ...

It is a result, of how ppl chop for coloured wood. Ppl run around searching for coloured spots. When they've found one, they stop and mark a rune or farm that spot until it turns into plain wood. As a result the number of coloured spots that can be found, does decrease.

CorwinXX likes this.