1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

McCain...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hera - Siege, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Obama
    Biden >> Good Job X-healing
    Oprah
    Brad Pitt
    Bruce Springsteen >> Barded Pratt's GD

McCain >> Very Eloquent concession speech, walked away
    Palin >> Died
    Elisabeth Hasselbeck >> Died
    Heidi Montag>> Died
    Spencer Pratt & GD>> GD Died, Spencer Smoke Bombed

Hope the republicans have farmed a lot of silver!

In all seriousness though, I thought McCain gave a very classy, eloquent concession speech, although the difference between when McCain mentioned Obama and the crowd boo'd versus when Obama mentioned McCain and the crowd clapped is saddening.

Edit: So I guess mutual respect and good sportsmanship is gone not only in UO, but in real life...

2. Goron

Goron Guest

Look at the economic demographics. I bet most of the people that Booo'd are going to directly suffer economically under obama.
    I bet few people that clapped were going to suffer economically under McCain OR Obama.

Sporstmanship is not a factor when you real life hard earned money is on the line.

If I walked into your house and demanded your money would you be a good sport and hand it over with a smile and a nod?

Obama has publicly stated he plans on attempting to take away one of my most prized summertime activities (shooting).

Obama continues to modify his tax plan, he is just a few thousand away from shafting me in the arse.

Those things hurt me. They don't kill me, they don't ruin lives, but they affect me worse than if McCain was elected.

I'd booo Obama over McCain purely because he does NOT have MY best interest in mind.
    Will he run the country into a pit? no way. He will do fine.
    Will he kill us all in war? Likely not.
    Will he make me walk away with less money at the end of the day? yup, not much less, but less.
    Will I benefit less from his spending plans? yup, not too much less, but less.
    Will I potentially lose a hobby? Maybe, depends how strong our new legislative branch stands.

Thats all it comes down to. I can peg someone as Republican or Democratic pretty well by just looking where their money comes from and what they spend it on.

3. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

yeha gotta go buy myself a new assault weapon before a new ban goes into effect....

4. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I spend my money on cocaine and hookers. Which one am I?

5. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

I guess I would expect people who parade around with 'family values' and 'good christian ethics' as a core value to be more respectful than boo'ing the next President Elect, regardless of his planned policies. Apparently it's ok under those values to be disrespectful if you don't agree with someone, now I know why I no longer consider myself a Christian.

*shrugs* Sounds more sour grapes to me rather than 'boo you're taking my money.' He hasn't even ENACTED a plan yet, so they're boo'ing the 'potential' of the plan?

6. Goron

Goron Guest

umm... assuming you voted, may I ask what you made your decision to vote on? If it wasn't the proposed plans and actions of the candidate, that only leave things Charisma...

But now that you mention it, I prolly shouldn't judge him on his proposals yet, I mean, he has been changing them so much recently. Maybe I should just wait until he announces anyone who makes over $1 a year will have to forfeit it to the poor?

I also like how you talk about respect when you are the only one here attacking a whole political party.

7. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

I agree with Hera and it really saddens me to hear you Goron speak in this manner about the president of our country. Do you mind if I ask you if you make over 250k per year?

Hera: I pretty much lost everything when my house and castle fell, so i doubt i have any ss frags...ask Hypnotic, he placed a castle in my spot. :)

8. Avo

Avo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I make over 250k a year exploiting hard working southeners :)

9. Goron

Goron Guest

Excuse me? Did I just read that correctly?
    I criticize some of Obama's policies and you are saddened that I "speak in this manner about the president"? Wow... So I assume you have never once said a negative thing about Bush, right? I don't see you attacking Hera, or sweeny for the nasty things they say about Bush...

I don't see what that value has to do with anything.

10. Turtle

Turtle Guest

O! Do me, do me!!

Give me some questions to answer and we'll see how good you are!

11. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

my new best friend!!

12. Goron

Goron Guest

you quoted my questions:
    "where does your money come from?"
    and
    "What do you spend it on?"

13. Turtle

Turtle Guest

My money comes from my wife and I spend it on a house, a prius, a F150 and misc. other bills.

14. Avo

Avo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

**** what kinda plans does obama have about medical insurance cause i just cut my finger really bad trying to cook me somthing up, aaaaarrrrrrrrggggaaaaaahhhhh

i hate typing with my left hand...

it hurts it hurts it hurts *weeps in a corner with a bottle of wine*

15. Avo

Avo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I'll never make fun of the south again... except for the texas cowboys lol... ouchy

16. Goron

Goron Guest

moderate liberal... but I am guessing registered democrat?
    Definitely voted obama...
    ?

17. Goron

Goron Guest

Turn that frown upside down!
    Give it a year or two and I am sure my tax money will be going to pay for your medical expenses (in the case you cannot afford them on your own)!

18. Turtle

Turtle Guest

I voted for Obama but I posted that in an earlier thread, you didn't cheat did ya?

I'm registered Independent. Fail!

I grew up in a 110% Republican family in the rust belt and my point of view on the Republican party at this time is exactly what Obama said "they cling to guns and religion".
    They have no plan for the future or any clue how to adapt to change. They are clinging to ideas created in the 1800's that just don't make any sense in todays world. I will use guns as an example because that is something close to my heart and I assume yours.

The amendment to allow guns was not created under the knowledge that muskets would some day be automatic weapons. The idea of protecting yourself and your family or being a sportsman and killing defenseless deer like I do every single year is great and I'm 100% behind that logic.
    I don't need an automatic weapon to protect my family or to kill a deer, nor does anyone else. Adjusting laws to keep up with technology is a requirement. Another example of that..The reason we are in this financial mess is because laws were not changed to keep up with current financial markets.
    To think for one second that The Dem. Party could take all your guns away is silly. One of the strongest org. in the Country is the NRA, they have tremendous influence in Gov. Also you need to look at guns as a small economy. Think of the money spent by sportsman all across this Country...millions. I will be driving up to NY next weekend to Deer Hunt and every year I go through WV, passing hundreds of SUV's with trailors, ATV's, guns, bows, camo cloths, boots, and on and on. No elected offical is going to kill that economy, pun intended.

19. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

I'm not attacking a whole political party, I said it was saddening to see the people (present) boo when McCain mentioned Obama's name. Furthermore, attacking a whole political party and 'booing' are two different things. I'm not name calling, I'm not boo'ing. An attack (to use your words) itself is not disrespectful, but the manner in which you do so can be.

I assume if your at McCain's HQ awaiting news of the election outcome, you're most likely a republican [as I doubt they let in demo's or independents]. So thus you must agree with most of the Parties platform, family values and good Christian ethics being a core one of them.

So boo'ing really doesn't fit in with those values, it's not respectful. Maybe it's just me that thinks being respectful in spite of philosophical disagreements is a family value.

And one of the major factors in my decision to vote Obama was that the Republicans focused really less on the issues and more on the "Obama's a terrorist!" The calls here in Wisconsin were appalling. This is just more of the same "If we repeat it enough, they'll believe it" [see 'weapons of mass destruction']. McCain also talked about Judgment, but then goes and picks Palin as his running mate? She was a train wreck. These are not the people I want running my country.

If McCain had run his campaign like he delivered his concession speech, I think it would have been a much closer race, but as it stands I think people got sick of Republicans attempting to insinuate Obama is a terrorist and continually using his middle name of Hussein to reinforce that.

And don't get me wrong, the left nutjobs are just as bad, all the stupid songs and quips about Palin and McCain are juvenile as well, I'm not saying that Dem's are perfect, they are far from it. But if you look at how McCain and Obama ran their campaigns, Obama & the Dems spoke to the issues [or at least 'at the issues' I'm sure some will argue], while McCain and the Republicans ran a smear campaign based on a middle name and loose associations to a 'domestic terrorist' who has nothing to do with the current invocation of 'terrorist.'

20. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

leave the cowboys alone and Texas is a southwest state.

21. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

This is so very true, I thought the exact same thing.

22. Goron

Goron Guest

gotta meeting in a few min so i gotta be quick:

First off it is MY opinion that the 2A is not for the purpose of defending myself as an individual citizen, but to defend the people from an unjust gov't. The goal is to prevent the gov't from disarming the public- opening the way for a totalitarian rule. By keeping the citizens armed, militias can rise up against unjust gov't

(NOTE, I AM NOT SAYING RISE UP AGAINST THE US GOV'T AS WE HAVE EVER SEEN IT, I AM SAYING IN THE EVENT THAT A PRESIDENT MANAGES TO DISSOLVE CONGRESS AND ENACT MARTIAL RULE AND DO THINGS LIKE WE HAVE NEVER SEEN OR EVER LIKELY WILL SEE IN THE USA- sorry, I just needed to make that point before someone jumped on me).

It is my opinion that it is the gov't job to defend me as a citizen. Unfortunately my state's supreme court disagrees (They declared it is NOT the duty of police to protect citizens, it is the duty of the citizen to protect themselves). As such, that immediately opens the need for personal protection.

Regardless of all that, have you read into Obama's voting record when it comes to guns? You say you hunt, I am curious what caliber you use and in what weapon. It better not have a detachable magazine else you might find yourself unable to get another one. you should seriously look into his voting records- you'd be surprised.

I have never hunted in my life. Ever. I shoot for fun, not to kill.

you do realize automatic weapons are mostly illegal at this very moment, right?
    You need a license and a tax stamp to own one, plus the mother of all background checks. total that out and you are paying 10k.

damn gotta roll

23. K'torr

K'torr Guest

Been there, done that.

24. Goron

Goron Guest

How can you say this?
    You say the left nut jobs are just as bad, but then you go on to classify all republicans as nut jobs?
    I never said obama was a terrorist. McCain never said it either. Nutjobs said it. Don't accuse repubs as being nut jobs in total while ignoring your own.

25. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

I can say this because I received a robocall from the REPUBLICAN PARTY talking about how Obama associates with Terrorists.

McCain didn't say it outright, but he certainly didn't put a stop to it and allowed the party to do his 'dirty work.'

I'm not ignoring my own, but I didn't receive a call from the Dem's saying McCain is a windbag old geezer and Palin was a no-nothing hockey mom, that's the difference.

26. Turtle

Turtle Guest

McCain never said it but he used plenty of adds to imply that he was a terrorist. The nut jobs didn't come up with the idea on their own it was handed to them by the Campaign. Given that type of campaign strategy it is very hard to now convince your base to support a person you previously convinced was a terrorist. Hence the booing.

I use a 20 gauge and sometimes a 12 or .22, the county I hunt in does not allow rifles.

I'm curious as well...since all you do is sport shooting what weapon are you concerned with losing and why?

I do not take much heed in voting record (right or wrong) the reason I feel that way is because every bills that is voted on is packed full of crap so picking out one thing in the bill and saying a person voted against just that one thing or for just that one thing is silly. An obvious flaw in our gov.

Maybe prior to the 1920's a citizen in the USA could be concerned about fighting the Gov. but the idea that the US citizens would need to fight our Gov. is also silly.

27. ThE TruE NecRo B

Stratics Veteran

yeah, coming from the guy who PKs miners and cuts up thier LRC suit.

28. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Huh?

Think you have me mistaken with someone else, or perhaps the new owner of the Hera account.

I haven't played Hera in over a year, my only account now is a Bluebie Pally.

And in my time as Hera I never once PK'd a miner, or any crafter for that matter. Might you have me confused with Cheapsuit?

29. Goron

Goron Guest

McCain publicly denounced those ideas. McCain publicly declared Obama to be a good christian, American. (fighting all those muslim non-american arguments). I'll admit I never saw him publicly denounce the terrorist claims, but c'mon- do you seriously think he wouldn't?

Don't give me that crap declaring McCain to have claimed otherwise. Just as the Republican nutjobs claimed bull about Obama Democratic nutjopbs claimed bull about McCain and mostly Palin. I don't hold the crazies words against the whole party or candidate but if you do well thats just sad.
    well... hmm... ok, I can't really say much. You are not what I'd consider your standard hunter- but, I assume that county is in New York (i think you mentioned that previously) or New Jersey...But, your .22 could come under fire- does it have the ability to take a magazine?
    These:

I agree, because they don't let us own armed tanks or fighter jetsrolleyes:

30. Black_Betty

Black_Betty Guest

Nice cop-out dude.. I remember Hera pking my miner at LEAST a year ago or more. Or maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I remember a player named Hera pking my miner then cutting up my uninsured lrc suit. This was like my first week coming back after a long hiatus too.

31. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

QFT

But...but...but...damn, that doesn't fall into the fear-mongering that libs are so good at :sad4:

32. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Really? Which issues are you speaking of? Hope or Change? Those issues? Quick, without trying to find them on the internet, what are Obama's thoughts about NAFTA? Relations with China? Darfur? The environment? I mean, I never heard any of that, maybe I fast forwarded through that commercial. I did however see the media (I know, not Obama but his biggest fans) make indirect, and some not so indirect, comments about McCain's age but that's not a smear or anything.

33. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Sorry, it wasn't me.

I don't cut up armor, I'll loot it, but I don't cut it up, and like I said, I didn't kill crafters. But if you feel that makes my point on national politics invalid because in game you believe I cut up your armor, then I guess you need to decide which politician wants to control how people behave in UO and vote for them. *shrugs* Don't really know what to tell you short of it wasn't me, if you choose not to believe me, that's ok, I know it wasn't me and I don't take offense at you thinking it was.

As far as cop-out is concerned, if you're bringing something up that happened over a year ago, you don't even know the date it happened.. So, I would question your 'remembrance' of the events, because I sold the account almost exactly a year ago and didn't play it for about 4 months prior to selling it. I also was not the original owner of the account as well, so it could have been which-ever of the 2+ previous owners. Depending on how long after 'a year ago or more' it was.

34. Black_Betty

Black_Betty Guest

I wrote in Richard Garriot at my polls. So the joke is on you.

35. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Age is a valid and true statement. McCain is old, if elected, he would have been the oldest president. While not exactly a great point, it may legitimately be a concern for some people and thus is fair play. Obama is in no way a terrorist, which I hope even you could agree with me on; thus insinuating that he is a terrorist or sympathizes with them is unacceptable.

And my point still stands: I didn't receive a call from the Dem's or a knock on my door from the Dem's stating McCain was old. They knocked every night for a week to make sure I was planning to vote, and that was annoying as hell, but they weren't spewing falsehoods in the hope of getting Obama elected. What I did receive was a call accusing Obama of being a terrorist from the GOP. Really not interested in a party that has to resort to blatant lies to try to win a campaign.

I agree that Obama has a lot of fluff as far as any real substance goes, but after being lied to for 8 years, a party that thinks it's OK to continue to do so is not going to get my vote.

36. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Sounds like you're a man of principle, but let me remind you, Richard Garriot put the system into place to allow your 'Hera' to kill you and loot your armor. Siege was made with the idea of 'player justice' and less 'Governmental Control' in Sosaria.

37. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I call :bs:

I am guessing someone called and linked Obama with the terrorist Ayers. Your partisanship filled in the blanks. Amirite?

38. ThE TruE NecRo B

Stratics Veteran

When I play UO I am in character and sometimes that character bleeds into my real life. If you want to make fun of me that's fine. I have nothing to prove to you in life or UO. I just wish you would come forward with your crime and fess up to the community because they deserve to know the truth.

I feel like the ingame behavior is a mirror image of who we all are in real life. I think there are people watching this video game closer than you think (Government). I'd be careful who you are murdering and cutting up thier armor.

39. Goron

Goron Guest

oldest first term president.
    (correct me if i'm wrong)

40. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah but he would have been just like that old Reagan who pushed the button and led us all into a nucl...oh wait. That's right. He DIDN'T do that to bring down the USSR. It's just more of that liberal fear-mongering. Nevermind. :sad4:

41. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

wow...38 posts and no lock. I am pretty damned impressed with you guys. :)

42. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

You are correct. But invoking 'terrorist' Ayers, who is in NO WAY the current invocation of 'terrorist' and linking Obama to him is effectively saying "Obama is a terrorist." Otherwise why make the link? Nevermind Obama was a child when Ayers was performing his alleged terrorist activities. [If i recall, Ayers was never convicted of any terrorist activities so calling him a Terrorist is a falsehood in itself.]

The fear-mongering of the Republicans in the interest of 'national security' to get their candidate elected is deplorable. They're not even speaking to the issues, while you can argue Obama didn't, the outright lies and fear tactics used by the Republicans is way worse in my opinion.

43. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

And I agree, it's not really much of an issue, at least not for me. But the FACTS still stands that McCain is old as far as Presidents are concerned and Obama is not a terrorist. Using McCain's age against him is not a great tactic, but it's based on a fact. Using Obama's middle name and a loose link to a domestic terrorist to imply he's a terrorist or terrorist sympathizer is based on nothing but falsehoods.

44. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

If it was a year or more ago, then you apparently never bothered to read my and Black Rain's debate regarding in game behavior. I argued there were people behind the pixels and ingame actions affected the people behind it to some degree, he argued it was all 'just a game' and in game malicious actions meant nothing in real life.

You are welcome to believe it was me, as I have stated before and apparently no amount of denial on my part will change your mind. The only truth I have is that it wasn't me.

Edit: Now please stop trolling the thead.

45. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I hope thats a joke... :|

46. Goron

Goron Guest

I'd say...

47. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Actually. Obama's tax plan shafts everyone in the ass.

Think about it... he's made it clear from the get-go that he plans on taxing business and rich... Ok, rich... who cares. Business? Well that's where the wool was successfully pulled over America's eyes.

Where do businesses get their money from? Why oh... it's us.

So when a business gets taxed more dollars... who pays for it? Why oh... it's us.

When businesses incur more costs... they do one (or both) of two things:

1. Raise the price of their goods and services

2. Become more efficient (reorganize, stop hiring or cut shops/lay off people.)

This is the WHOLE POINT of having tariffs! You tax another nations cheap crap so they have to sell it at a comparable price to the crap we already have. DUH!

So to sum it up... while the majority will get a little more in taxes back at the end of the year (and even then you people are sheep if you can't recognize that-that is just the government repaying you and interest free loan... DUH)

The one's who are suffering economically will be paying more for things like toilet paper, tooth paste, soap, food, everything... because these businesses will have to pay higher taxes.

Not only that, but now... there will be even less jobs and less hiring as corporations (already strapped) scramble to cover the costs of these new taxes.

It's not the end of the world... but things are sure as hell going to suck worse than they otherwise could have.

Sweet.

48. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

True.

The problem with the republican party is the lack of youth. It really is a bunch of old geezers clinging onto power without any plan to pass it on.

The entire democratic party is pretty youthful in it's demeanor... and has a plan for it's future (even if flawed.)

With all of that said, I'm a libertarian... less people telling me what to do with my life and my money... the better.

49. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

You are a nut job.

This is a videogame and just because I stomp your face in while tab dancing over your corpse... does not mean I won't buy you a drink if I knew/met you IRL.

I can't believe you're actually trying to tell me that I have some sort of moral responsibility to you or anyone in a world where no consequence or act of means anything other than what we want it to mean.

Try and learn to distinguish the difference between reality and fantasy (make-believe) k thanks.

50. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Ok ok, I confess, it was me playing Hera's character. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.