1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mini-Boss Griefing in SA

Discussion in 'UHall' started by ACB1961, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Many people are reporting that various mini-boss spawns are broken on shards. They more than likely are not broken. Here's what happens. UO is filled with very bad people. I don't know what makes a person this way, but basically if you can attempt to harm other people with no consequences a LOT of the population of the world will do that without cease.

Anyway here's what has happened. The mini-bosses are led very very far away. They are in places you would not expect to look for them. The pixie boss right this second on atlantic is at the mage ratman spawn. Some people would consider this a playstyle and not griefing. That boss will NEVER die there. I don't think it will ever respawn either. EVER The normal ratman boss is gone. It doesn't matter to me personally I can kill the archer spawn or the mage spawn. I'll probably track the main rat down after awhile, but I might not just to see how long it will take for the spawn to start back working. I suspect it will be days if I don't do something.

This is a very simple fix. Just put a despawn timer on the mini-boss. They can make it as long as they like, but it will fix this part of the SA Griefing.

2 entire spawns are completely shut down on Atlantic. Personally, I don't think people should be able to effect other peoples gameplay on this kind of level. What is to stop the same person from taking ALL the bosses and hiding them somewhere?

2. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Despawn is horrible idea. Make them teleport back like during recent invasions.

3. Coffin

Coffin Guest

Speaking of broken spawns...

Has anyone done dreadhorn on their shard lately? The last time we took a party to kill him, every time we used the keys, and then clicked OK, we would teleport to the island. But after all of us would take one step, it would teleport us back to the sparkly outside of the swoop/cu place.

4. Mistura

Mistura Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yup, easy fix right there.

5. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Same crap on Siege...over the last 2 weeks I have checks rats 12 times and the Boss was gone every time.

No reason why they cant make them teleport back!

How many posts do they need to see before action is taken!

6. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

This topic has come up time and time again, but yet the Dev's do nothing. What we think does not matter, they think the spawn is working as intended.
    I dont know why they cant just put a limit as to how far they can be draged.

7. Sakkarah_

Sakkarah_ VIP
    VIP Stratics Veteran

The fix for this will be part of the next publish.

8. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I did have an issue recently where I used the keys and 2 others were in party with me and somewhere within the twisted weald and didn't get the message to go over to DH.

9. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Wow!!! Thank you!!!

10. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

what fix is that? the simular to invasion teleport back to spawn area?

11. Maggie

Maggie Guest

today I was hunting in the abyss and I found the pixie where she didnt belong. I cant take her without about 400 bandaids and 30 min. I dont want to spend my time fighting someone elses fight but I feel for anyone who wants to do the spawn. So I had her follow me to the slasher of veils. I ve heard that he will kill her swiftly. I couldnt find the slasher. I ran all over that little town trying not to die to pixie. I couldnt find him. Then I though well if I cant get rid of her easy then I may as well have her help me in the cavern. I can fight there. Well I got there and fought two red rats right away and spend another twenty minutes killing regular rats before I had to leave for some real life time.

Thats how she got to be in cavern today. Thats the end of my story.

I am very happy they will fix this. I hope it is soon.

12. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Nice one!

13. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Most likely the will teleport back if led out of their area just like the champ spawn bosses (at least in fel).

14. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

hurray, the care bears win again :thumbup:

15. Adora

Adora Guest

fixed :thumbup:

16. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

When you make a char on Siege you can use the term Care Bear!

I'm sure you have all of your leet gear Insured!!

Now that is what I call a Care Bear!!!

Tool...

17. UOKaiser

UOKaiser Guest

Wished they just up the loot on those things. Then everyone will be killing them instead of avoiding them.

18. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

tyvm

I've been playing 12 years now, and this is the best response to actual game problems we've ever had. This game is honestly the best it ever was right now imo.

19. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Seriously! I wonder if there was someone committed to getting on every shard starting at noon going til 5 pm everyday just to lure and hide the mini bosses just to get a kick out of it and laugh? Or it just seemed that way, anyway, good thing it will be fixed next publish.

20. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

ummm, i have a char fully worked on seige. i play there, i die, i kill, i re equip when necessary. is no big deal to me.

i was just kidding around looking to get a rise out of some of you, never thought it would be a seige guy....

21. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

ROFL...la

22. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Cool; thank you.

UO has always walked a fine line between players being able to impact each other's play in perfectly legitimate ways, and griefing.

If you eliminate all ways to effect one another, then there's no point in playing an online game.

If you allow unfettered effecting of one another, then 1 of 2 things happens, depending on whether non-consensual PvP is allowed or not. Neither of those things are good for the game.

So what we're left with is responding to issues as they come up on an ad hoc basis.

The team has a weird lack of predictive powers (they really should know what pains in the ass we are by now), and sometimes they haven't been as responsive as they should be to issues.

Happily, they are responding to this one, even if it's a tad late.

Thanks again!

-Galen's player

23. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

That's not called 'kidding around', it's called trolling and a moderator should take action on it. especially since you freely admit it.

24. Not that a fix wasn't warranted, but I hope everyone that's made threads regarding this issue realize that the more they ***** about it the more these people want to do it. If you continue feeding their sadistic playstyle it just makes them feel better for doing it.

Just sayin'...

25. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I actually disagree....I think their "reward" comes from knowing they've messed with people, not in seeing the complaints.

Also, the only way to get anything done around here is to keep on posting threads.

That was true before the firings, and I'd have to imagine it's even more true now that they are working with a diminished staff.

The thinking seems to be, if we see no threads on it, how much of an issue can it be?

-Galen's player

26. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, but maybe if it weren't for all that pancakes, then maybe there would have never been this coming-up fix in the first place. Many of the times the issue wasn't the result intentional griefing anyway.

27. The pancakes can be done via the feedback form on UO.com.

28. retrorider

retrorider Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

One player I actually saw luring mini-bosses to areas usually populated by lesser monsters was "ALeXAnDer" (capitols may not be on right letters). He says he is a 9 year player but probably has only purchased a 9 year acct. I confronted him about his playstyle, told him it was griefing or worse and he just laughed and told me I could not tell him how to play and in this game people die and they should expect to die often, he was just helping them out with the dying.

I paged a GM and was sent a canned response to visit the uo guide web page and told that if I am being griefed I need to leave the area.:wall:

Apparently this player makes a habit of this playstyle. I saw him repeatedly grief players by provoking turkeys near players trying to loot to get them killed. He often succeeded and took glee in it. When the killed players returned to complain and try to make it back to their corpse he taunted and mocked them and kept provoking birds until the corpses collapsed.

Too bad this kind of playstyle is not punishable. It ruins the experience for many players and the last thing we need is people leaving the game for fixable reasons.

29. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I for one am glad this is going to be fixed. It was stupid going down for a wasted trip to specific locations simply because someone was either 1. stupid as hell (if I lead the creature that takes 15 minutes to kill away I don't have to fight it, I can fight the good ones... hey! where are they? this sucks!) or 2. a complete asshat (or both as they aren't mutually exclusive).

Can't wait to see how the full list of fixes works out as there ARE several issues with the minichamps not limited to the ratman areas (namely dark wisps stuck underground, boss leading, wolves, scorpions, and plague rats being a static spawn instead of tier 1 spawn, ratman renowned loot).

Fixing this was the right thing to do.

30. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Very little is done unless we complain Publicly, The Feedback form tends to be ignorned untill the Dev's see fit to do anything about the said complaint.

Anyhow the problem is being fixed and a big thanks for fixing it!

31. Mistura

Mistura Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Really? Someone told me you were the worst noob in UO and u rarely leave tram cos you get wtfpwned as soon as you leave the stones at Yew gate?

32. Sir Kenga

Sir Kenga Guest

I had this issue at Lady Mel yesterday. I was fighting Coil when my friend activated his key, no message for me. Then my friend asked me on ICQ where am I, i was surprised he's already at Mel. So i activated my key (we always share keys when ready to go peerless) and got to Mel =)

33. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Please just add something to the AI to have them wander back normally, don't use the auto-teleport junk.

It really reduces the fun in the game if everything just "resets" when it feels like it. They can pathfind back to their home, which would make it far more interesting. You can even set the AI so it just ignores and clears the attackers' list for the boss as it returns to its home.

Just no insta-teleports please!!!!

34. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

um. personally i happen to agree with rubberbanding the renowns back to the specific spawn area. however had the dev's chosen to leave it as it is than is it that much of an inconvenience to run around and find them. sa is still a fixed area. you cannot put them on a boat and sail them out into the bay like some do gooders like to do with the bulls at the pen in a chivalrous attempt to deter scripters and never the less impacting honest players.

second. i was having a bit of fun with the care bear comment, just pointing out the mentality that exists in this game where everyone wants shinies handed to them.

i did not use foul expressions in my post like you did with the wtfpwned comment. i don't view what i said as being a troll. just posting an opinion on the topic.

your really quite emotional.... aren't you.

sorry if i offended anyone.

35. Mistura

Mistura Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

C'mon man I was just kidding around trying to get a rise, where's your sense of humour gone all of a sudden?

:party:

36. Hiru

Hiru Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

The problem I have with this is simple. A lot of us go into the Abyss only to find the boss standing. Most of them I can solo with time. The pixie boss and rat boss have ridiculous hit points with crud loot.

Not having a leash only insures that people can clean up another persons greedy mess so we can continue about our business. If you read these boards the main problem is Boss abandonment... I personally don't want to be the trash man and clean up someones messes (which I have had to do and got my 300gp!!!!).

A timer is a much better solution.

Or... change the loot and hit points to be manageable and profitable for solo players.

Adding a leash will only make it more frustrating for small groups and solo players.

Peace

37. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Disagree. I'd rather "clean up" a left behind boss (such as the ratman boss) rather than try and wonder where in the entire depths of the Abyss it may have been led or wandered off. Having it leashed will be MUCH more assurance that the spawn will be able to be continued instead of broken for the rest of the server day.

Besides... you'd think that a "champion" would want to defend its turf... especially a place like the Cavern of the Discarded where the ratmen have in effect set up "homes".

38. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Please go back to wherever you've were...la

39. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Personally, I think if the Renowned Boss is being lured too far... the luring player
    should be dragged next to the Renowned Boss...whack ! ...
    this is better than returning the Boss to home base.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

40. Hiru

Hiru Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I wish more players were like you... until then... don't leash the bosses.

41. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

42. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Just need to have graveyard fences pop out of the ground when the mini champ spawns. Like a tight area that Dreadhorn spawn on. Message comes up for thos ein the area and they get to the center. Those outside the barrier cannot target or damaged anything inside. Like Mel resets the fences come down after the boss corpse vannishes.

They can come up with some better artwork then the current graveyard fences covered in body and bone parts. And just like those bosses are on a timer to finnish by before it boots/resets, so could this SA Cage Match.

43. Coyt

Coyt Guest

it is also possible to lure it back,

44. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Assuming you can find it.

45. Coyt

Coyt Guest

true :thumbup: