1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mining for colored ore

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by gandolfofaol, Jan 5, 2010.

1. gandolfofaol

gandolfofaol Guest

Is it still true that if an vein of ore is set to spawn colored ore, 50% ore should be of that color and 50% regular? I have found that the percentage is MUCH lower. Maybe there is a "missing" parenthesis in the code. lol

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

To the best of my knowledge the amount of coloured ore in any given spot has always been variable, some spots being better than others. Also I believe that the ratio of coloured:iron is better for elven characters than for human characters though the total amount of ore obtained may be higher for humans.
    As far as I know it has never been a straight 50/50 split.

3. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It depends on the spot. If you hit a spot and its 90% regular and 10% colored it will always roughly give those percentages, even if it changes to something else. So mark spots where you get lots of colored versus regular as long as it's giving out a good amount. You can cycle through a book of good spots this way and work on getting them to change to something you want (while getting good amounts of other usable ore). It makes it all worth it when you get one of your nice veins to turn to val (or aga or verite, then upgrade). I believe it works this way for wood too, but since there is no tool to upgrade a tree or tell you what it gives I haven't bothered marking spots.

4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Petra and Sarsmi are correct, as near as testing can indicate. Somewhere, what the devs think is the normal state for ore sites, and what actually occurs, went their separate ways before AoS - if it ever was true.

I took 3 sets of ore books before the ore randomization, condensed them down into 1-2 books per ore of spots that give 60% or more colored ore as a human, and while the ore types now change, the colored to iron ratio did not (well, you got to use a garg pick or Prospector tool to get colored ore if it goes iron, but it will still be the expected ratio recorded before, not a flat 50%).