1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mining for ML gems

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by aibandit, Sep 10, 2010.

1. aibandit

aibandit Guest

Which of the three settings on the GUMP get you ML Gems? I started mining for stone and it seems like I completely stopped getting ML gems I was under the impression you always had a chance to get them.

Thanks.

2. anvira

anvira Guest

I don't think changing from stone/ore/gems changes your 'chance' to get a special....it's just that...special (and if the RNG hates you, well..... - I feel your pain)!

3. aibandit

aibandit Guest

Yeah looks like I had a "little" dry spell. It wasn't so little though :p

what's RNG stand for? I see it referenced alot hear?

4. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

RNG- random number generator

And yes, I would like to see the special gems more often, too. Average for me is around 1 gem per sturdy.

5. Lorax_Pacific

Lorax_Pacific Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Also, I tried marking a book with runes where I got ML gems, but recalling to those didn't increase my chance. That means it isn't the mining spot that affects the chance of getting the ML gem.

-Lorax

6. silent

silent Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I can't seem to find this info. I see elves have a better chance at getting resources, do they have a better chance of getting ML gems too?

7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Yes - in fact, that IS the resource they get in better quantities than human. The Random number generator, combined with the different sort of bonuses humans get for mining, make the Elf bonus for ore only a major factor if you mine in Fel.

8. silent

silent Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks again Basara!

9. silent

silent Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

What's the going amount per hour of mining would you say? I've been mining for around 7 hours and have 26 total ML gems. Is that about right?

10. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

That's about average in my experience (around 4 an hour), at least for a human; sometimes you can mine for an our and come back with 10, but you can also not come back with any. Note also that the small pieces of blackrock may be part of this calculation as well, making the amount you get rise and fall.

Once again, the RNG is at fault.