1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Mining gains

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by satan, May 18, 2008.

1. satan

satan Guest

So uh, I've been stuck at 95.0 for days, mining all kinds of ores - using +5 gloves to hit valorite etc., and can't get a gain....what the bloody frak is going on?

All the obvious things you can think of have most likely been thought of, just no idea why I can't get these last measly 5 points!!
  2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    You will have trouble gaining if you wear the gloves to put you at 100 or greater.

Mining is an odd skill, in that it has TWO different scales to go by, depending on the function of the mining skill you are using....

The chance to gain Mining from DIGGING is based on chance of mining failure - which is 0 at 100 (and therefore you cannot gain from digging if gloves put you at 100 or better, no matter what ore you dig).

The chance to gain mining from REFINING ORE is based on your chance to successfully smelt the ore. At 95 real skill, you will not be able to gain from smelting Iron, Dull Copper, or Shadow Iron. You have a very small chance to gain from smelting Copper or Bronze, and have a decent chance to gain from smelting Gold, Agapite or Verite ore. IF you wear the gloves while smelting to put you at 100, you lose the ability to gain from Copper, bronze gains become harder, and you can gain more easily from smelting Gold - Valorite ore. However, you total skill being higher, you'll be slightly less able to gain.

Your best bet is to mine without the gloves, except when going specifically for valorite, and to smelt all your metals bronze and higher 1 ore piece at a time (2 if small ore), for gains.

currently homeless Moderator of the UO Mining & UO Smith forums....