1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

MMO Blender: Larry's old-school 16-bit MMO

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Zosimus, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Massively's Larry Everett gives UO a little love in this article.

Syrus likes this.
  2. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I always thought UO should market its customization elements. Lots of people would be thrilled by the idea of having a little plot of land in an MMO world that you have literally total control over from shape, style, and decorations.

I think theres a big market for people who want to create and be creative, as minecraft has shown. I think UO should push that. The 2d graphics really lend well toward the feeling that you are collecting little items.

3. Shakkara

Shakkara Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

All nice ideas, but that's all they are, ideas. And there are dozens and dozens of individuals with exactly the same ideas or something similar (I'm one of those).

The problem is that 99% do not get a team, and 99% of those don't get the money. I can probably crash the boards here with all the game design documents I wrote over the years, and what actually got built? 1%. What actually made money? 0%.

I'd be impressed if he had actually BUILT this.

And Kickstarter, ah, like that is the magic moneymaker nowadays. Well, sorry to say, it isn't. 80% of the games fail, just like mine, because Kickstarter is nothing more than a popularity contest, and noone cares about the quality of the ideas.

Besides, don't we already have exactly what he is describing? (Tibia, Graal, Ragnarok?)

#3 Shakkara, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

EA should have really upgraded the graphics years ago, hire some artists and designers to work on new house tiles and new clothes that are sold through the online store, and then just marketed the **** out of it to Sims fans. They could have raked in the money.

Zosimus and Joey Porter like this.
  5. Joey Porter

Joey Porter Guest

This is so true and such a simple idea. EA is a joke to have missed this.

Think of all the bank sitting, customized house building sims fans in the Ultima world. Would have made for an interested community.