1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Modders: What are DDS files?

Discussion in 'UO Enhanced Client Discussion' started by hawkeye_pike, Aug 24, 2009.

1. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I figured that adding a few more icons to the Enhanced Client might be useful and not too difficult. One thing I couldn't find out though: What kind of format is DDS? How do I create/convert it? Can the icons be created in any graphics tool?

Is there a comprehensive guide about modding the client?

2. Zym Dragon

Zym Dragon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

DDS files are a type of graphics file that allows you to save an alpha channel for transparency effects. You can get a DDS plugin for Photoshop. If you don't have PS, you can also use Gimp (free) with a DDS plugin. Irfanview with the plugin pack is also useful as a viewer for dds files.

There's a Custom_UI_Documentation.zip in your UserInterface directory that explains quite a bit, but it does not go into depth about altering graphics.

3. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for the hint! I created some DDS files and it works! I now have all fencing and swords weapons as icons available. Very handy for my switch weapon macros.