1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

More players please

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mervyn, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Dear Cal,

Please could you get some more subscribers to play the game? It would make it more fun.

Regards Mervyn

2. Dear Mervyn,

Move to a more populated shard. You will find it more fun.

Regards James Moriarty

3. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

ha, must be trying to get a level6 focus, imo, a stupid idea

4. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I live on GL's .... most the time I'm aware folk do not have trouble getting a lvl 6 focus. Why? Because those of us with 120 weavers work together. We know who we all are... and we ask in Gen Chat for a focus. A few will icq me from time to time and ask me to come help them get a focus.

Truth be told I've gotten more use out of my weaver just in helping others get a focus than I've had in YEARS since Gen Chat and the Brit Circle were put in.

5. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Doesn;t seem to be an issue on LS either... there are almost constant rounds of calls for casting being placed through gen chat (that get filled relatively quickly).

As for the OP, Cal (or any other UO lead for that matter" simply can't "bring more people" to UO by snapping his fingers. It takes a LOT more to make such things happen, and they'll have to be willing to take a lot more risks than they have in the recent past (or at least follow through on the risks they were going to take instead of backing off halfway through).

6. AzSel

AzSel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I would like to see a smudge more effort put into advertising UO.

7. Hell's Ironworks

Hell's Ironworks Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Merge shards, merge facets , close ilsh , close ter mur , close the lost lands , close luna. Voilà .

mergee mergee mo mergee bee bah bo bergee, mergee.

8. Dear subscriber, YOU bring in the "more players" ...
    The team is currently (as ever) SWAMPED and struggling to "remain in place"
    They are not now(or ever) "witholding" some imaginary horde of "fresh meat" From "the game"
    ^^THAT^^ would be the general publics current Fad-Favor-Style-preference re: cheap and meaningful entertainment.
    OR (it could be) the general publics current Fad-Favor-Style-preference re: Playing >with you<.

Thankyou for your attention and or concern as in regards this matter. :gee:

9. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Not my job

10. canary

canary Guest

They recently-ish had a 'Re-Enlisters' campaign, but imo it was poorly marketed. On my shard I saw three old friends come back for a month and then promptly leave, the general thoughts from them saying that nothing had really changed.

What is your general play style? I would almost advise jumping to a better populated shard at this point.

11. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Not my job

Then you're doing some fine work!

12. unless you have a red char then it's an issue

13. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

unless you have a red char then it's an issue

And just who's fault is that?

14. not theirs either ...
    You buying a ticket ... to play "the game", on an as is and as avalaible basis, subject to change (re: TOS)

>does not< empower(enforcement wise) you to say and describe what "their job" IS.
    you JUST have a ticket.
    You >do not< have a "Job" Re: EA BiowareMythic/UO
    you JUST have a ticket.(supposedly, unconfirmed, merely plausible to assume so)

To state so bluntly:
    Does imply that "Cal must be holding back or unaware" of the possible benefits to be attained.
    And that you should be hailed as the genius to finally find the "most correct" solution to UO's current problems.

Sorry.
    Your opinion is uninformed re: real world operations/conditions.

:scholar: Thus sayeth Fayled.

15. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The best way for anybody to do their so called job for free advertising is to open a WoW account and spam " Come play Ultima online. The grandad of all games ". Devs are not going to bring in players. EA has left the advertising on our laps. :)

16. canary

canary Guest

Maybe since most of the UO team plays WoW we can have them spam for us on their own accounts. Just a thought.

Besides, it's already been confirmed before by Draconi that even in the past a majority of the team on UO don't even play the game they work on.

17. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Well they should spam it if they do :) They allow gold spammers and bots in their own games so why not infect WoW also :)

18. I >disagree< that A "best way" for anyone to do any job ...

Is to "go rogue" and violate anyones terms of service ...

*ahem*
    Like HERE for example.
    FAQ
    O. Activities that are against any games' Terms of Service or the User Agreement are prohibited from being promoted or advertised on our network. This includes, but is not limited to

* third party programs
    * game item sales for real world goods
    * power leveling services
    * Unapproved modifications to game client/s
    * and/or links to such items

:scholar: *wags finger*
    OR Here
    With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site.

:danceb: do unto others baby ...

19. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

LOL you may think that but in all the games I play people do talk about other games all the time in GC. So if they cant ban you for talking about another game why would you think they ban you for promoting another game. Oh they may ban that char but just create another. They want your money so unless you shut down the servers they will not delete the accounts. It happens in warhammer all the time. Many times I paged on a players using 3rd party illegal apps. Oh they may disappear for the rest of the day but they be back the next day.

War has the same issues as UO. Gold sellers spamming, bots, illegal third party programs and yes...people spamming about new games to try. They dont ENFORCE crap in UO or any of their games anymore. Those terms of service/agreements dont mean crap anymore until they enforce it onto everyone equally. Not pick and choose how they please to please the community when there is an uprising of complaints. Where is this so called spread sheet they had? I think it was used in the bathroom when they ran out of toilet paper at the dev office.

Look how many times here on stratics other games are mentioned, links shown and screen shots. Is UO stratics an official UO fansite? Not sure but other games are mentioned and advertised on uo.stratics.com that are not UO related. Posts are made with other games mentioned. Yes they have to have an income and Im totally fine with that but is UO advertised on the other game stratics sites? Not that I have seen. EA/Bioware Mythic depends on word of mouth for UO because they dont pay for advertising. Its not stratics fault that EA/Mythic doesnt want to pay them for advertsing their games for them when they have sites for them on top of it.

So if you have a better idea to advertise UO and its free and its legal in your eyes, then do it and save the UO community Fayled. Be Uo savior or dont reply with your know it all posts that can be argued over and over.

20. *sigh* can't and don't are TWO different things, mon frair.

BOTH of which are covered in the UO tos.
    Which IF you ever were a paying subscriber You Agreed to:

At Electronic Arts' request, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless The Electronic Arts Parties and their licensees, distributors, Content Providers and other Members of the Service, from all liabilities, claims and expenses, including attorneys' fees, arising from any breach of this Agreement by you. The Electronic Arts Parties reserve the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you hereunder, and in such event, you shall have no further obligation to provide indemnification for such matter.(8. Indemnification.)

&

Electronic Arts' failure to enforce at any time any of the provisions of this Agreement shall in no way be construed to be a present or future waiver of such provisions, nor in any way affect the right of any party to enforce each and every such provision thereafter. The express waiver by Electronic Arts of any provision, condition or requirement of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of any future obligation to comply with such provision, condition or requirement. Notwithstanding anything else in this Agreement, no default, delay or failure to perform on the part of Electronic Arts shall be considered a breach of this Agreement if such default, delay or failure to perform is shown to be due to causes beyond the reasonable control of Electronic Arts.(11. General Provisions.)

Welch that agreement as you will.

>I shall honor< my contracts ... *ahem* :danceb:

21. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Nothing has changed?

As pertains to what? Their personal & specific wants/needs? Lol, a ton has changed.

Too many ADD kids leave games out of personal boredom. These types of children can never be satisfied. Thats ok.

What is not ok is the rest of you tards that think this game is in bad shape because these ADD tards leave.

22. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Not going to get more players with the existing "Enhanced Client". [​IMG]

I hope they redo all the blurry substandard kindergarden graphics and optimize the client code in the "Enhanced Client". It is supposed to be new technology but yet it runs 100 times slower than the CC which uses pre-2000 technology.

Also Free 2 Play.
    Free 2 Play
    Free 2 Play
    Free 2 Play
    Free 2 Play
    Free 2 Play
    Free 2 Play

23. Velvathos

Velvathos Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Dear Professor Moriarty,

It's not as if this is a solo game, maybe he runs a guild with a group of friends, or maybe he's on Europa like me and is heavily involved with the roleplaying community (as we have if not the largest RP community in the game, and the most unique.) Or wait.. Maybe he doesn't want to spend $20 to transfer each of his characters ($20 each) I can't afford that myself, no way in hell I would spend that, if it was TEN dollars, ya... But $20 is a bit too high..

I have THREE words... Free 2 Play

24. (that's two words and a numerical digit ... :thumbup1: & a thumb for you)

*ahem*
    It is >doubtful< That he is ... requesting CAL to recruit role players/any other "types" JUST for him ...

Character creation is FREE ... for Every subscriber
    &
    Those creating characters ...as subscribers ... >should know< HOW to do it.
    not so much noobs just spawned with a candle ...

*ahem*
    Thank the DevGods for the transfer service ...
    It would have been impossible for ANY veteran to survive ...
    Cut off and isolated and limited to just one shard ...

oh wait ...
    *whistles*

:danceb:

25. canary

canary Guest

No, what is bad is that you chide others for being 'children' but resort to actually using insulting names that those with developmental disabilities hate.

Hypocritical much? Yeah, I really have to think long and hard who is the child here... /eyeroll

26. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Mervyn is not a spellweaver and Europa has a healthy population. Mervyn's inability to find someone to interact with has other causes.

Subsequently this entire thread is based on a misconception and the arguments in it invalid.

27. [​IMG]

Excellent smiley...love it! Very nice! :thumbup:

28. I would say that the original premise is valid...but the trolling that followed, not so much.

29. I too play Europa, So does the OP Mervyn. I and a few friends have just transferred one char each to another shard, costing 16 Million UO gold. We now have people to play with on 2 shards! Let be fair 16 Million UO gold is not a lot these days for an X-fer token. So you don't have to fork out real life $$$

As Mervyn is a guild leader of a PvP guild, im sure they have the same access to UO gold as my guild do. So the cost should not be a problem. But attitude may be a problem. Some people think that they should not have to move around to find people to play with.

Mervyn is looking for PvP, which Europa can be lacking in from time to time. So we moved a char each to Drach.

Its not rocket science is it?

When one shard is dead go look on another shard see what's going on. If both shards are dead then you moved to the wrong shard :mf_prop:

Edit: Another Europa PvP guild moved a char each to Atlantic. If others are willing to do it, why not Mervyn and his guildies?

Regards James Moriarty

30. jaashua

jaashua Guest

Two ways to increase the population.

1) Merge shards.
    2) Come up with a new client. You can keep the isometric view, but you need to produce something that looks better than what a first semester graphic designer could come up with. Something like Diablo3 or even Torchlight.

31. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

That only shuffles the population around and would actually probably result in some of the population quitting. That doesn't really address the bigger issue, and would only increase tension between players and EA.
    This is the bigger issue. New players, somebody who might not have even been alive when say Ultima VII launched, are going to expect a higher resolution in graphics/artwork, and are going to expect a more modern (moddable) interface, especially if they've played other popular MMOS.

Somebody born when Ultima VII launched would be around 18 these days. Since they were 12 years, if they paid any attention to MMORPGs, WOW would have been front and center in creating their impression of what an MMORPG is, not UO.

That's good for UO in that if they were bored with WOW's system, UO might be just what they are looking for. It's bad in that WOW has high resolution graphics and an extremely modifiable UI (which UO's EC is working towards correcting).

A lot of people don't realize that we don't have to lose the isometric perspective of UO with high-resolution/3D graphics, nor do we have to have insanely powerful machines either.

Quite a few UO players played the Ultima games before UO and Garriott and company tended to like to push existing hardware to its limits, and maybe that fear has carried over, but it doesn't have to be that way. WOW and others can be played on netbooks for instance.

If the EC is improved, all that's left is the artwork. Without the higher-resolution graphics and artwork, it's going to be very hard to attract new players and help keep things going. It doesn't help that there are more and more MMOs in production or on the horizon, and a lot more of them are looking at catering to people who don't like WOW and some of the others.

With work on the EC and better graphics, UO would be in a good position to attract those people who want something other than WOW and the like.

32. Thav12

Thav12 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry Petra, i wanted to remind you that you forgot to lock this thread after you posted this. If the OP's post wasn't enough of a troll, I think the personal attack on Mervyn is enough of a reason to lock it. That, or move it to Rant's and Spiels. Tired of reading these cries for attention. And if it matters, I agree with every letter in your post.

33. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

As usual Petra, you're completely wrong, Mervyn is a spell-weaver. Not that I'm complaining that I can't get a circle, I get level 6 everyday.

34. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Then I apologise. I wasn't aware that I was usually completely wrong either. I'll try harder to be more accurate.

35. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

1) Merge shards.

Can anyone show me a game that came out BETTER in the end for doing this? From what I have seen merging shards is one of the biggest DEATH KNELLS of an online game. Once that starts, the rest of the game generally has not been very far behind. This will be even further compounded in a game like UO where shard merges/closures would cause endless conflicts due to the way ingame real estate works. (let's say Baja is rolled into Napa Valley... who gets to keep their Luna plot? The Napa player or the Baja player and what do you do about the one that gets bumped?) Merging shards would be a DISASTER in UO terms unless a shard is naturally COMPLETELY empty of players before the action is considered.

2) Come up with a new client. You can keep the isometric view, but you need to produce something that looks better than what a first semester graphic designer could come up with. Something like Diablo3 or even Torchlight.

While I agree, we've already been down this road and seen the endless whining. ANy new client isn't going to do anything to help the game unless and until they do two things: 1. NOT cater to 5+ year old technology, and 2. Ditch any and all former clients once the new one is released and stable.

36. jaashua

jaashua Guest

Right. I was merely presenting the bad option with the good option to make it even more apparent that there really is just one solution.

I really dislike Mythic. One of the things, however, that they can do very right are graphics. It would not take long for them to bang out new models for everything.

The isometric viewpoint allows for you to watch your character, so you can have really go wild adding cool attack and spell animations. That's something you tend to miss with first person point of view games....it's a potential strength of UO.

37. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

This is from a few years ago:

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/161793-why-dont-they-just-make-2d-hi-res.html

Pay attention to the posts from Saphireena, where she discusses what she did, time involved, etc. It's not that simple.

I think it's necessary for UO to survive in the long run, but my view is they've got to move to one client and one client only before they can seriously get into the artwork thing. The Third Dawn thing and EA's view that players would migrate and they could turn off the classic client was a huge mistake.

Unify and improve/enhance the client and then start working on the artwork.