1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Most popular West Coast shard?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Magnus, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Magnus

Magnus Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've recently moved from the East Coast to almost on the West Coast, and want to come back to UO. However my ping to Atlantic where I've traditionally played is quite high and has become almost unplayable - so I need to start over on a West Coast shard. I am pinging under 50ms to the Baja, Lake Austin, Pacific, Origin, Sonoma and Napa Valley - but I am not sure which I should move to.

I am in Mountain Time (GMT -7) and so play usually in the evenings, I like mostly casual PvE and a bit of Roleplaying so it'd be nice to have some folks around.

Any suggestions?

Lord Frodo likes this.
  2. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome back and really the only advice I could offer is to make toons on all the west coast shards and give it a try. Pac may be the most populated but I am not so sure any more. I play Baja so I am naturally prejudice to my home shard but there are a great bunch of players here always willing to help others and always appears to be players on every night. I still think making a toon is the smart thing as you may find a group of players on a shard that fits you like a glove so shard population may not matter as much as you will have others to play with and to me that is what really matters the most.

3. Podolak

Podolak Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I enjoy Sonoma but I think Pacific is the most active on that list. Unfortunately none are even close to Atlantic.

Pandora Spocks and Lord Frodo like this.
  4. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

pacific is probably the best bet!

Lord Frodo likes this.
  5. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

If you're asking which is the coolest West Coast shard, that'd be Napa.

Fridgster, Lord Frodo and Ox AO like this.
  6. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

Sonoma for the win, uncrowded so you can do most any monsters you want. Some great guilds to join and just the right amount of the absolute best people in this whole world of Sosaria!!!!!

7. S_S

S_S Certifiable
    The Squirrel Empire

I agree, Sonoma!

But I do want to throw this out there that Baja has a really decent role player base there to consider as well.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

IMHO just about any West Coast Shard is worthy to be considered, even Origin may look like a ghost town but it does have a very dedicated group of players. The West Coast Shards have a more laid back feeling to them and any shard you pick will be great because of the players there. Before you xfer to one of them just make a toon and give a shout out in gen chat and let them know you may be xfering there and watch all the players come out of the wood works to say welcome.

Parnoc likes this.
  9. Naitch

Naitch Journeyman

I played on Sonoma years ago when the game was fairly new. Players there were always nice and friendly.
    Create a toon on each one and test which one you like best.

Miri of Sonoma, Lord Frodo and Parnoc like this.
  10. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

Atlantic.

11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You are totally right, that is the shard he is moving from and is looking to relocate to a West Coast Shard. JK

12. THP

THP Stratics Legend

some folks cant help themselves.. its prob the last shard i would choose to be fair...to play... although to sell... yes... but not to play.. to much ass holes

13. THP

THP Stratics Legend

to answer your question.....
    pacs, sonama and napa or pretty much the same popolous....u can eaisly place a large keep on all 3 shards includung tram...though felucca is a lot easier...alas if u want a castle or luna shop u will have to spend a small amount of gold....20-50m tops
    on baja odd castle spots lay empty and odd luna spots are freq. up for grabs or buy them for a few millo
    on LA and origin u can choose a castle among the empty spots with ease ...aka there are 40-50 spots for castles to choose form empty

Lord Frodo likes this.
  14. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Napa is fairly dead if that's your style... Pacific seems to have plenty of folk... I haven't spent enough time on Baja or Sonoma to make a guess about them... Origin is also fairly to mostly dead. Lake Austin I consider more in the central zone but also mostly dead.

15. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

DERP

16. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

Why do you use the word dead? It's got to be one of the dumbest phrases I hear in this game.
    Quite shards such as Napa, Baja, Sonoma, Origin, Legends, Oceana and Lake Austin are my favorite places simply because they are like a small town feel to them. The people are nice easy going and not rude for the most part.

#16 Ox AO, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Capt. Lucky, Merus and Lord Frodo like this.
  17. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Dead... Buying or selling next to non-existent. So trying to get started on many of these shards puts you pretty much on your own unless you happen to know somone on the shard. I've actually played on LA, Napa and Oceana. The lag on Oceana is bad for folk in the states.Quiet implies more action than really is there.Dead in my opinion means don't look to find any help at all.

Origin you run the risk of losing things when they get a publish first and then occasionally you are subject to a revert. If that's ok with you then be my guest.

18. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

In the notes in the very first booklet that came with this game it said. First thing you do is find friends fast. Did you forget the first rule? Or is death and giving up the way for you now?

"Dead shard" would imply there are no friends to be found. When i see it just the opposite from you where friends on these small shards are not out to make money from you as with the big shards. On the smaller shard they want you to stick around. They're more inclined to help newer players for the long term.

#18 Ox AO, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Lord Frodo likes this.
  19. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

Napa, like many quiet shards, seems to get judged by 2 factors... Which are really a poor justification for where to play... Bank sitters and active vendors, both of which are more rare on quiet shards.

It's no secret that my home shard is Napa and while I am pretty active (at least a few hours every day with more in the weekend) you will almost never see me bank sitting in Luna. The same goes for most of the group I play with... The same goes for almost everyone else that plays Napa. You know why?? Cause we are out playing!

I agree that the current vendor system limits the incentive for us to put out newbie items on vendors which makes it a little harder to just start a new character and suit up without interacting with anyone. But if you take even a few minutes during peak shard time to talk in gen chat you would probably have everything you need to get started donated to you in a matter of minutes... and meet a few potential guilds to play with along the way.

#19 Merus, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Ox AO and Lord Frodo like this.
  20. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

OMG You were not suppose to give away the secret to starting out on a low population shard. Now we will be inundated with new players to our shards, what are we gonna do. Isn't it just amazing when people use that gray matter between their ears, besides taking up space, what they can accomplish. It is totally amazing the people you meet in Gen Chat even if you are a long time player that justs wants to start out on a different shard.

Ox AO likes this.
  21. MalagAste

Try finding people on at hours that aren't "normal". You wanna see dead. They are pretty much dead and with nothing to buy to get you going, keep you going, or get you started... they are dead.

22. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

You talking about Atlantic? Atlantic is like that near not normal hours. Last night i walked around luna no one was saying a word. two people standing at the bank that left their computer running. Dead.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  23. MalagAste

Well I'll say this most every shard I go to during my "play" hours is dead. But I play from 5pm CST to 6 or 7am... So... I mostly play ALONE.

24. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

LOL There you go using that gray matter and proving that at some point all shards are dead. So far I have yet to find a dead shard but I have found shards that are more populated than others.

Ox AO likes this.
  25. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

First rule to this game is to find friends.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  26. MalagAste

Try finding folk on between midnight and 5 am.

27. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

come to napa I'm often around. you will not find me at luna

Lord Frodo likes this.
  28. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Atlantic tends to "die" very quickly at certain times, the shard completely empties out at around 2 Am Eastern time, and people don't start logging back in until around 8 Am or so. Same thing happens around 3-5 Pm, which I'm guessing is from a combination of people driving home from work, or lunch breaks ending depending on which time zone the person is in.

Lord Frodo and Ox AO like this.
  29. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

I'm always happy to imbue up a good suit and weapons for new and returning players on Napa, and @Ox_AO is super cool about taking folks with him to do peerless. There's pvp to be had during peak times and @EM_Vereor runs kick-ass events. Hence, Napa is the coolest! :D

Lord Frodo and Ox AO like this.
  30. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

That's because the place to hang out and bank sit on Atlantic, isn't Luna. It's New Haven...seriously.

31. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

And there are times when there is nobody in New Haven. We are sorry if we hurt your feelings about Atl but if you read the OP he is moving from your shard and is looking for a WEST COAST SHARD and as we all know Atl is an East Coast Shard and has zero need to be in this thread. To the OP just pick a shard to visit for awhile and decide for yourself and understand that all west coast shards are worthy of your presence and yes you few Atl players are more than welcome to come chill in the West Coast sun also. Welcome to the slower laid back side of UO where we play to have fun.

Ox AO and S_S like this.
  32. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I'm from Napa. Have played on Napa since a few months after launch, played on Pacific before then. Napa's pretty dead now. Finding anyone to hunt with or trade with is a royal pain in the ass.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  33. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

you're not looking very well. We just go smoked by W|N just a little while go. Numbers was about 10 on each side.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  34. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

Reputation really means something on these shards. If your an jerk or a scammer you don't last long at all. I've learned on Legends chat might be real quiet for a long time but if you get in a mess there's a lot of people that will come out of the wood work to help.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  35. Max Blackoak

Stratics Veteran

Just try something new and move to Siege Perilous!

Very mature and dedicated international player base.
    If you need help with anything just holler in general chat and you will find more than enough people to help you out with whatever you need. Don't let the all-fel ruleset scare you. There are only very few PKs left these days and the economy on Siege is not as inflated as on all other shards.

36. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

:facepalm:Isn't SP on the East Coast so it does not solve his ping problem or he would just stay on Atl.

37. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

I grew up on Napa - been there since y2k and was on ATL prior to that. Due to the lack of participation, I moved everything to Pacific earlier this year. Got 2 castles and loving it. :)
    I still pop over to Napa to visit friends, but connecting with them is trying.... I am enjoying things more on Pac.

38. Max Blackoak

Stratics Veteran

No idea where the server is located. But with an international player base it doesn't matter all that much because us Europeans ping around 160-220 ms to Siege and that's still very playable, so I doubt it could be worse from the West Coast...