1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

My biggest regret

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Gameboy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Gameboy

Gameboy Sage
    Stratics Veteran UWF

Was thinking I could find a better game then UO. Thinking WoW, Rift, and other games because they are newer, maybe better looking, and cause more people are playing them they are better. Shame on me.

2. Mentiras

Mentiras Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Same boat, my brothers and I have tried every MMO out, and always come back to UO.

CovenantX and Gameboy like this.
  3. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

Yep, there are games that do certain things better, but as a whole they fail in comparison.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  4. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I tried others as well, but never shut my main account down. I knew from the start that UO was my home!!

5. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've never bothered. UO either did or still does offer me everything I would want to look for in a game. PvP, crafting, PvM, gen chat/friends and, IMO the best part, unwanted PvP either on myself or me applying it to others. The only other game that I feel is even slightly close in that last point is DayZ but it's not a mmorpg but a FPS(kinda).

6. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Okay, that's all well and good. But I need reasons why! lol

I like League of Legends PvP so much better than UO PvP, for example, but I can't amass stuff in LoL since it's not a MMORPG.

7. Gameboy

Gameboy Sage
    Stratics Veteran UWF

I've not pvper. I like the skill based vs. the level based. I like the look and feel. I like the choices of the skills. I love the housing. The helpfulness of the players has been more so vs. other games I have player. When I log into UO it feels much more like a living breathing world then other games I have played.

old gypsy and G.v.P like this.
  8. PsychoKinetic

PsychoKinetic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Given what Bethesda has been able to accomplish with ESV:Skyrim, I will be cautiously trying out Elder Scrolls Online.

AirmidCecht, yars and Chazztizer like this.
  9. Shakkara

Shakkara Slightly Crazed

Tried EVE, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, WoW, Star Trek Online, Rift, Black Prophecy....

No where close, no where close.

10. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I occasionally trip over to Lotro to see what is going on in The regions surrounding the Shire and Gondor. It looks lovely, and I have not tried this new mounted combat system, but invariably I get bored with class specific armor and their woefully inadequate crafting system. The world feels "alive" for one go through the epic questing system, but it never really feels like you have an impact. Love UO, and that's that.

11. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I have been loyal to UO since I started... pretty much.... Whenever I think of trying another game the first question I ask it always "Does it have housing? Can my friends and anyone else visit my house or is it just me." Because if I can't have a house and can't deco it and have my friends come visit ..... then I'm totally not interested. So far very little has passed that test. And I love all things Medieval and Dragon related... so the next question is always ..... "Is this another space game?" Cause I'm not into futuristics.... Just not my thing.

So I hear that Neverwinter is making an online game..... and rumor has it I can own a home and friends can visit it.... we'll see how that goes... Neverwinter might be the ONLY game that would have the power to draw me away from my beloved UO. But even then if it's not got good RP forget it.

Mirt and Gameboy like this.
  12. Gameboy

Gameboy Sage
    Stratics Veteran UWF

I hear the people that made Skyrim are making an mmo too. Would this be something that might draw you away from UO? Personally I found I just need to stop looking. I don't go to mmo websites as much and I do not try EVERY mmo anymore. I do have a lifetime account to Lord Of The Rings but play it rarely. But between the two I feel I should be set.

13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I don't have the heart to leave UO. I have so much invested here... especially time. I find anything else is a waste of time... except maybe the Dragon Cave.... but that's just a mild distraction for dragon addicts like myself.

But UO is more like "home"..... it's where my friends are. Granted I've had a great many friends leave UO... but still they know where to find me whenever they return.

old gypsy, Gameboy and Viquire like this.
  14. jack flash uk

jack flash uk Crazed Zealot

DAYZ!!!!! lol how addictive, highjacking thread a bit, sorry, but have you tried 2017 yet??? amazing!

15. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed

Nope, I've only played a few rounds but when I get some free time I plan on playing a few longer rounds. I've been murdered a few times and can see the "rush"....

jack flash uk likes this.
  16. T-Hunt

T-Hunt Sage

I have and still play UO since 1999.
    Next closest thing i have found to it is Wurm..
    For crafting , house building is much beter then UO by far.
    They just need to add more deco items.

But yest i cant give up my UO chars or houses...im addicted. :eyes:

17. Gameboy

Gameboy Sage
    Stratics Veteran UWF

Playing since 1999 that's pretty impressive. Have you ever taken any breaks from UO or stopped playing for anytime? I bet you have your own museum.

18. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The odds of another game capturing what's most-unique about UO, which I've described in another recent thread, are rather small.

-Galen's player

#18 GalenKnighthawke, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  19. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

There are other games? :D

Gameboy likes this.
  20. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

Supposedly, but I think they're a total myth. kinda like Bigfoot.

Gameboy likes this.
  21. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I think when a player puts the expectations onto another game to be like and better than the game they are playing is setting them selves up for a huge disappointment.

If a UO player wants to find another game just like UO but with better graphics, game support, ect ect ect good luck to finding that. UO is the only UO and that is plain and simply put.

Just like WoW players go off to find the next new WoW and are sorely disappointed and go back to WoW. This goes for any game. If you want to play the game you love then "stay" with the game you are already playing.

Now some gamers do find other games they try out and enjoy them and make them their new home. This happens with any gaming community. You lose some and gain some players over time. Gamers are always looking for new adventures and sometimes those adventures are in other games.

Not all games are bad but to slam any game for their lack of a "player expectations' is not truly fair to the game they tried and was unhappy with. A player can't walk into a game and this better be like ( insert your game you are currently playing) and it better have this and that. I should be able to do this and that like my current game. Is it the game fault because of a player expectations to be like and better than the game you are playing? Definelty not.

If you love UO than great!

If you love another game great!

If you are happy with UO great!

If you are happy with another game great!

The thing about MMO's there are many out there and many offer different flavors so to speak to any gamer. Finding the one you enjoy and like is the most important part.

Gameboy likes this.
  22. T-Hunt

T-Hunt Sage

Yes i took a few months of here and there.
    And for museum, no i dont have one, i wasent into the collection part .
    But i have good and bad memories of people i met and things i done..
    Thats all that counts i think.

23. Gameboy

Gameboy Sage
    Stratics Veteran UWF

Good people and good and maybe even some bad memories I think make a good game. I remember when I first started playing UO and I had to run to my body to get my stuff. I was thinking what the heck kind of system is this? My first mmorpg Dark Age Of Camelot was not like that. Overall I am use to it and like it.

24. Cupid

Cupid Sage

My biggest regret was thinking the "singing ball" was stupid and that the "monster statues" were AWESOME, for the first cleanup anyway, and I played WOW for a 3 or so year break from UO but I got tired of farming for the perfect set of armor only for it to be turned into junk with a level increase.

25. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Personally, I've only tried one other online game - and that was Everquest a few years back (because I had a couple of friends that talked me into it). But - I have watched my grandson play several of them, and to me, they all "feel" like you're playing against a computer somewhere. UO has never felt that way to me...
    That's why I'm still here after 14+ years.... UO somehow feels like "home"..

AirmidCecht and Gameboy like this.
  26. Gameboy

Gameboy Sage
    Stratics Veteran UWF

This was something I did not like with WoW. Was chasing gear. I am sure you can chase gear in UO but it does not seem to be the same.