1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

My ICQ was hacked. (This involves about 3 of you!)

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Sandwich, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sandwich

Sandwich Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Kage, Path, HaHa and anyone else that I had on my ICQ and spoke to on occasion may want to delete my number (105419001) from your list since my password was recently changed and I have no way of getting it back due to my hotmail account being terminated by the MSN network for inactivity.

Nothing of great importance but I don't want you getting those weird Russian spam messages I used to get from others' accounts that were apparently compromised.

2. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

settings->network->icq->tab: privacy, disable "Webaware"

in trillian astra
    connections > icq one > settings > privacy > forcefully ignore all .. only accept messages from users in my contact list ... etc
    (do this in all your connections actually)

3. Kas Althume

Kas Althume Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The russian spam i get is within the authorization request window. Can't find a way to disable that...

4. Sandwich

Sandwich Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I only saw it in the message body text but I guess it's reassuring to know that somebody beside myself was getting the weird Russian character spam messages.

5. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I get about 5-8 invites a day with weird symbols, then a name in brackets.

6. Tazar

Tazar Guest

The weird characters are from the standard alphabet of the Cyrillic language which I believe is one of the primary text-languages used in Russia. I've been getting these regularly ever since AOL sold ICQ to a Russian Company. Setting the options to where no one can contact me unless they are on my contact lists seems to have been disabled so that Spam-Bots from Russia can reach me any time.

I wonder how long my "block" list is as a result? :p