1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

My Idea For Stimulation

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Gareth, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

Just my ideas.

House Customization Fee

Eh I am not sure why they took out the charge for house customization. They should put that back in as well. Make a payment of 100,000 to recustomize your 18x18 plus the cost of adding more to it. Should not be any refunds. Taking gold away makes people need to hunt more. People hutning more shows activity. People being active makes others want to be active and re-open there account. Thus generating more $$$.

(This coming from someone who customizes houses sometimes three times a day)

Vendors

Put a vendor up that sells certain house decoration for 5,000,000 gold. OR have your EMs make some funny engraved shirts or other deco items that all sell for the same price. Then delete the gold the vendor makes.

You don't have to have these items. So your not going to unbalance any game mechanics. They are obtainable by anyone. All they have to do is go out and hunt or mine and sell stuff.

Once again you are removing gold from the game. It is not just going back and fourth, back and fourth between players. Once people start going broke they are going to need to go hunt or mine. People see others around and want to play more or join up with a guild/community. Or you get reds seeing those pesky miners and they try to kill them. Then the miner calls in there guild and Wahlah you have a major Battle on your hands.

(The carpets could have been a great gold sink. You priced it way to low.)

Insurance

Stop giving the insurance to the player who kills the other player. Just have it go to La la land and be deleted out.

2. KalVasTENKI

KalVasTENKI Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry sir , I'm going to have to disagree with all of your post. :scholar:

3. Bazer

Bazer Slightly Crazed
    Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Stratics Legend

you and your stimulating ideas, but eh some of em could work but for how long, thats the true question

4. Lord Gareth

*Kicks* Little more information would be nice *smiles*

5. Bombastic Fail

Bombastic Fail Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Some of us are cheap-o's!! Hows that? :D *Runs Away*

6. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'm going to have to disagree with Lord Gareth as well here on his first and third.

Extra charges to custom was lame, and if you don't give money to victors in Fel then you have to get rid of insurance, it's your choice.

As for the new vendor with 5 mil rares, fine with me, I wouldn't buy deco or things I can't wear or use in some way ;D.

And for the record, I cannot find how any of these three changes would stimulate me... oh, you mean the economy, eh? *adjusts collar* ;)

Either way, gold sinks never work because obtaining NEW gold is too easy. You want a gold sink? Get rid of NEW gold.

7. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Actually I really like all the ideas.

Only thing on the House customization, make it once per day or something the fee is charged. Nothing would bite worse than having to go back in to fix a tile at the cost of 100k. We used to get charged per tile change, wouldn't mind seeing it back. I know a lot of people redesign their houses often, but it did used to be a good gold sink.

8. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I don't think gold sinks will fix UO. It's become a game populated primarily by three groups of people: (1) those who play to buy and sell their way into amassing more gold and in-game luxuries than anyone ever thought possible; (2) people who somehow manage to eke some enjoyment out of UO's broken PvP system; and (3) those who enjoy role playing.

With the advent of imbuing and the addition of so many artifacts in the last year or two, anyone with sufficient gold to train up imbuing can make their characters into demi-golds that can easily do peerless and champ spawns until they become utterly boring and routine. Gold sinks won't fix anything and won't draw in more people. The game needs more challenges for people who enjoy PvM and to fix PvP. The fastest/cheapest way for a short-staffed dev team to make PvM more challenging is probably to beef up existing monsters and make people lose their gear more often. Doesn't really sound like an attractive solution to me though and probably will not draw in new or returning players for very long. And fixing PvP means cracking down on the hacks and exploits....something I doubt will ever happen, especially in the near-term future with what has to be a very limited staffing budget.

Nope...about the only way to make this game more exciting for anyone who doesn't aspire to be in group 1 or group 3 above is to force more players into group 2 and put some bandaid fixes on some of the more glaring PvP problems. It's pointless to add more PvM opportunities because, if you're already sitting on tons of gold, imbuing and artifacts makes it possible to conquer new PvM challenges almost as soon as they are introduced.

Sadly, I think new and returning players who don't want to be part of the three groups mentioned in my first paragraph above have no real place in UO any more.

9. Lord Gareth

Well its just afew ideas I am not saying it will return UO to what each person thinks UO is about. Just something that maybe could help.

10. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

How about a posting on stratics fee while were at it??:loser:

11. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Virtual taxes and superfluous fees for things are silly. If theres an issue of too much currency in the system, punishments for having too much currency are NEVER the way to go, because all they do is irritate players.

The whole issue of too much gold is really a non issue. Quantity of currency in relation to its value in a virtual world is purely an issue of aesthetics and utility in terms of storage. Really in a virtual economy the true measure of its strength is the the scope and breadth of its economic interaction. By that I mean, how many goods/services are being bought and sold, on how many value levels, by how many people.
    A situation Imbuing has aided a touch.

I mean if it takes a player on average an hour to make 100 gold, or an hour to make 10,000 gold, they will have the exact same purchasing value. So in order to get gold back to smaller amounts being more valuable, it would take a major overhaul in monster loot, and the currency that players already have (such as a currency change) for no real result.

Right now on regular shards (I don't know first hand, gold has different value on siege) gold is a pain to store because of max 1 million gold checks, but if you upped it to 10 million the issue would resolve itself.

I am all for low amounts of gold rather than high, but its not as easy as putting in gold sinks, and what you would HAVE to do would make players really angry, and its not worth risking subs. It's just an issue of lack of foresight, but the damage is really difficult to undo.