1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

My idea to deal with cheater's

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Exgirlfriend, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exgirlfriend

Exgirlfriend Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe they should banish the account and all related accounts to a "cheater shard" you can never leave...that would remove the cheater's but also let them play/pay also.

They would lose everything and have to start over. Maybe they could lower the amount of resources and/or make things cost 10x more...im not sure, maybe im being to harsh...what do you think?

EX

2. So you want them to create a special shard for cheaters??!!

:cursing:

Some of us have NEVER cheated, hell I don't even use UOA!! And the cheaters get their own shard??

Screw that.

3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I don't think so.

Unless EA restrict them to test shard, with their characters, goods and houses wiped every time they're testing a new publish :D

4. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Actually I remember hearing about them considering that at one point. Making a "Free For All Shard"....

5. In Flames

In Flames Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

This was already an idea when Punkbuster came about.

The idea was given the title of "Devil's Island".

I was a strong proponent for the cause, but when Punkbuster fell through (which is good as far as I'm, Punkbuster wont even let me play my copy of CoD4:MW properly online), so did the possibility of "Devil's Island". Perhaps now that this in game detection system is coming the idea could see a revival.

Besides, a shard named for a Megadeth song? I'm not big on thrash, but I still love me some Megadeth.

6. In Flames

In Flames Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Don't think of it like that, think of it more like the Escape from New York and sequel, Escape from L.A. films. A shard where all the "unwanteds" are sent. To ruin their own economy through endless scripting. Where the kiddies can be as foul mouthed as they like, and away from the general populace. And a place where I can slowly hunt down the the immature whiney degenerate filth ^^

I love it when people I kill cry, and a shard like that? That would be FULL of people like that.

7. No...sorry...I can't think about it like that.

Cheaters and scripters have cost UO many more subsciptions than they contribute. These people make real life money from the game...and the result of that has been the complete and utter ruin of the in game economy.

So the idea is to reward these people, these cheaters, that have been profiting off of in game item and gold sales even further?!

There are those of us that would like to see a new shard created, but it sure has hell wouldn't be for cheaters.

Every last single cheater in this game...dupers, speedhackers, scripters, bots, gold sellers, house placer bots, people fighting golems unattended, all of them...NEED TO BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM THE GAME...NOT REWARDED.

8. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

you want to permanently ban people for fighting a golem while they mow their lawn? get a grip will ya?

the policy should be to put them in UO jail until they come back and page a GM to get out. and there should be no 3 strike rule.

9. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Proof?

Proof that any significant amount of people are making money illegitly through cheating and proof that it has ruined the ecomony.

The biggest influx of items and money comes from people quitting and selling off what they have.

10. I don't think I misspelled anything in my original post.

If you cheat...you should be banned. Understood?

11. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

standing up and walking away from your computer is not cheating.

I used to put a heavy object on my super nintendo controller to loop XP gain in final fantasy 3. was I cheating? no. I was not using a cheat code, I was not hacking the cartridge.

stop using the word "cheating" when referring to unattended macroing. it's not cheating. it is human ingenuity. multi-tasking. :thumbup1:

12. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

Wow, you people really need to get out more. If you think beating on a golem is banable your nuts. As far as people selling gold for a profit, I personally know one of the people on ATL that sells gold, item, etc. Trust me, he is no scripter. He buys, resells, buys gold off trammies, resells..... He works harder at UO than I ever did at my own job. Just because you don't have the contacts/resources to make money off of a 13 year old game doesn't mean you need to be a hater.

13. It's against the RoC.

I did not write the RoC.

If you have problems with the RoC...take it up with EA.

14. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

you are confused.

just because something is against the RoC does not mean it is cheating.

is verbal harassment cheating? at what?

please think before you post. I am as anti-cheater as you are. I think duping is cheating, exploiting game mechanics is cheating. unattended macroing is not cheating, it is a minor rule violation.

15. Once again, not my rules. If they are going to have the rules, they need to be enforced.

If you seek to pick and choose the rules based on what is most convenient for you, then you might as well have no rules.

16. My idea to deal with cheaters is to put them all in the same room with Lord Chaos and ingsmsico, and not let them out or go to the bathroom until they all agree on ONE reason that cheating is bad for UO. Just one.

I can't think of a worse punishment.

17. Exgirlfriend

Exgirlfriend Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Please dont say anything to get my post locked.

The question is what to do with cheater's...not if or who or how

Thanks

Ex

18. Yen Sid

Yen Sid Guest

+popps? :lol:

19. rayvowrath

rayvowrath Guest

Players that have been found to be engaging in the use of third party applications should have their names added to a " bounty list " and that list should be made available at all banks in each town.

The player's that have been deemed guilty of using third party applications should after being placed on the list be freely hunted and exterminated for good, upon their death a reward should be given either in gold or bounty points and should be able to keep that players head as a momento.

Wasnt there a system kind of like this years ago?

20. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

Here's an idea on what to do to cheaters.

First offence is a warning
    second is a 24 hour ban
    third is a 72 hour ban
    after that your gone......

OMG THATS THE WAY IT IS ALREADY!!! Stop with the ideas that they will put in a bounty, make an island, or ship them to mars. They will continue to deal with them in the same manner they always have. I would imagine that the new detection stuff will just not allow you to log in, or something to that sort. Then everyone can come to fel freely since everyone is equally good without all of us evil PvPers hacking...... OH I CAN'T WAIT!!!

21. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

you did not answer my question. is verbal harassment a form of cheating?

I did not say unattended macroing or using unapproved 3rd party programs was not "against the rules" I said it is not cheating. big difference.

22. Verbal harassment is not a form of cheating in anyway... it is harassment, and annoying, but don't know how you can in any way shape or form call it cheating. They are distinctly different things.

But, I disagree with you on unattended macroing, it is cheating. However, it does not matter what YOU think or even what I think it is, EA/Mythic says it is cheating. Period.

:bdh:

23. Of course verbal harassment is not cheating...you don't gain any advantage by verbally harassing someone.

You do by running scripts or UMing.

Once again, if you don't like the rules...take it up with EA...they are not my rules.

24. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

EA can't even enforce pr won't (which is worse) their own rules though. So does it really matter?

25. jbfortune

jbfortune Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I asked Cal this

"Soooo, what's the plan if you start banning users who then shut down they're accounts because they can't script? Can UO really afford to lose more players.

If you find our that 75% of the population scripts, what then?"

He said

"I need data before I do anything. I'm going to make an informed decision. Players have screamed about this for years ... so we will see what happens."

Let be honest people, they're not idiots. If half the player base scripts, unless they want to be out of a job, they're not going to ban them all are they?

26. True...but if the other half cancels their subscriptions because the devs refuse to address cheating...then they are equally screwed.

27. yars

yars Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

we have a devils island already,oceania, the old penal colony,read your history books

lex luthor!!!!!king of australia!!!!

28. jbfortune

jbfortune Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Well they haven't done it in 12 years so why would they start now? People threaten to do that all the time. The difference is a lot of people script because it makes the game more enjoyable for them. If they can't do it the game becomes a real bore. I agree PvP cheating ruins it for some people but what else does? Does some one script mining directly effect the enjoyment of the non cheater? It probably shouldn't.

All these people moaning quite enjoy buying cheap resources I'm sure.

29. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

How exactly do you gain an advantage? Apart from using it in PvP or affect the market with it, how does it affect other players.

30. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

You are assuming that legit players would quit over scripting. Don't know a single legit player that has quit because of scripting or any current legit player that would quit because of scripting. They are enjoying the game.

31. What do you mean, apart from using it in PvP? Are you suggesting that skills gained using a script, or UMing, cannot be used in PvP?

32. I know several people that have quit UO because they got sick of cheaters.

Also, by your own definition here, people that script are not 'legit' players.

le·git·i·mate   /adj., n. lɪˈdʒɪtəmɪt; v. lɪˈdʒɪtəˌmeɪt/ Show Spelled [adj., n. li-jit-uh-mit; v. li-jit-uh-meyt] Show IPA adjective, verb,-mat·ed, -mat·ing, noun
    –adjective
    1.according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
    2.in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.

Like I said to someone else...if you don't like the rules...take it up with EA...they are not my rules.

33. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Again, we aren't even sure if EA likes/cares about their own rules that much. They could've done something about it long ago.

The fact is, scripting helps with some of the more boring parts of UO I'm sure.

Plus, I've played this game a while.. I'd have to say a large MAJORITY script on a regular basis.

Now, I don't script because I have other ways of making gold, such as buying/selling.. But not everyone can do what I do or there'd be no market so..

34. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Several skills can't be used in PvP and there's more to UO than PvP.

35. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Ok, thought they quit because of the lack of classic shard...make up your mind.

I didn't say scripters were legit players, I was talking about legit players that do not script.

36. Nails

Nails Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The other half won't all quit. It is a small representation of the UO population here. This place has the most vocal folks in EA not always the majority. The stuff here is almost always ridiculous and full of assumptions.

I am sure that they will target the biggest offenders that run multiple accts and farm resources that flood the economy and other scripts that have repetitive motions for long periods of time. Yeah, it is nice to have them cheep and abundant but for a player that does not script, it can be demoralizing. But there are so many other parts to the game that it is still enjoyable. I played a mule for years and bought ore because i could not keep up with script miners; it did not ruin the game for me. In fact, it improved it! I could play instead of mine. If they got rid of everyone, this stuff will be so expensive after the surplus wears off that you will need an absurd amount of gold due to supply and demand. now you have a reverse issue--- not enought gold. Anyone that likes clicking and mining by hand instead of playing the game has some issues.

regardless, I believe that you don't script Morgana. Your hatred is a little unhealthy but you are entitled to it. Just don't think that you have such a wide spread understanding of how many folks afk in some terms... be it a golem, or something greater. Would you really rather have them close the game down? Oh wait, you know that there isn't that many "Cheaters", my bad.

37. I never said that anyone I know quit because of a lack of a classic shard. What I did say was that I know a lot of players that quit because they did not like the changed brought with UO:R and AoS.

I also know people that quit because of cheating.

I also know people that quit because of EverQuest.

I also know people that quit because they had kids and stopped playing MMOs.

I also know people that quit because they started playing WoW.

I know 3 people that quit because they died IRL.

I know 5 people that quit because they got banned for something they didn't do.

I never said that everyone I know that quit did so for the same reason.

I didn't say scripters were legit players, I was talking about legit players that do not script.[/QUOTE][/quote]

Right...you are saying that scripters are legit players. And I am saying that if they are not legit, then by definition, they are in violation of the rules.

38. Hey, I will freely admit. Morgana LeFay (my main on Atlantic) got to 100 magery through UMing. But back in 1997, when I did it, that was not against the rules.

It's not "hatred"...it's just expecting EA to enforce the rules that they put in place. Again, don't shoot the messenger here...I don't make the rules.

39. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

I say

then you say

Live in your own reality much?

40. It was a typo, as I pointed out, you...Lord Chaos...have said that scripters are NOT LEGIT PLAYERS. Is that or is that not correct?

And my point is...if they are NOT legit players, then they are in violation of the rules.

So instead of giving me a hard time about the rules...take it up with EA. They have rules against scripting, they plan to put something in to punish those that are breaking the rules...and somehow, it's MY fault???

I know I am cool...I am just not that cool that I control EA. rolleyes:

41. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

This is correct.

I can wack you for supporting it just fine, heh.

42. And in doing so, you attempt to LEGITIMIZE scripters.

Don't you get it?

If you are saying that what they are doing is not legit, then how can you support their (your) activities?

43. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

I am not legitimizing them, I am saying to leave things alone as they are.

Just because their actions aren't legit doesn't mean I have anything against them or want them to leave the game. I know many good people and community players who in some way cheat and I don't want to see any of them go, nor do I want to see the legit players go that would quit if their friends quit.

44. But you don't have a problem with losing players that are tired of the cheating?

Whatever man...if you want to cheat...do so, but don't coming crying when you get banned.

45. UOKaiser

UOKaiser Guest

Actually I don't think we lose any more or that many players do to that. I think all the players that left because of that left before 2000 came about. People might still leave but no mass exodus. Many of the players do complain about cheating on the forums or even in game but they don't go anywhere they still here complaining day after day and year after year still playing the game or not playing the game and just like the forums much more.

46. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I tend to agree. :(

If 50% script and they ban them all, Who knows how many more will leave because resources are harder to come by, Or they have lost friends.

You need 300,000 wood to get 1 statue at the Vesper Museum, Can you imagine cutting that manually? If EA are seriously going to ban EVERY scripter they need to change how these systems work.

47. That's a valid point.

So, instead of banning scripters, perhaps they can just make them useless by lowering the cost/resources required to do things that scripters do?

48. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

And the poll is a good measure of what players think of cheating on the other thread. The one if 3rd parties made OK.

49. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Why does every statement you make end with punishing scripters in some way? Do you work for a credit card company or something and make a living by taking advantage of people who don't read the fine print? Terms of service and Rules of Conduct are simply put in place so that the service provider can take action against someone they deem harmful/disruptive to the service. I'm sure your one of those people who refuse to rip your friend's CD because it is technically "illegal" to do so. However, do you see any government officials going door-to-door searching for illegally ripped music? No, because quite frankly they don't care and neither does EA.

The only reason they are addressing the issue is because the only voices heard by them (the people on this forum) have been complaining about it. As long as people are playing their game, and they are profiting they couldn't care less if every person playing UO is running around with fire shooting out their ass while riding a BMW.

With regard to your whole "cheating" idea: where do these unattended scripters come from? Did they just wake up one day and decide to do everything in their power to ruin UO for everyone else? No, it was designed to make playing UO a better experience for ALL, even scripter-hating little goodie two shoes like yourself. Have you ever stopped to consider the amount of work people put into writing scripts? It's no different than writing code for anything else; it requires ingenuity, patience, programming knowledge, knowledge of the language, testing, debugging, modifying, updating, etc. Trust me, more time and effort than you may think goes into writing these scripts you are so against.

Now, have you ever considered why people write these scripts? I assume you have, but to an extremely limited degree. You no doubt believe the only reason they are is comparable to that of a quote from IRobot..."USR: S******' on the little guy". However, as I am sure this may be the case for some, I guarantee this is not the majority's mindset. I myself am a computer science major, and enjoy learning and writing with new languages. The particular program in question here, offers a rare opportunity to combine two things I am passionate about: UO and programming.

I am sorry if my hobby offends you, but it is something that myself, and others enjoy doing. Perhaps if you weren't so concerned about upholding the integrity of fine print on some web page that hasn't been updated in years, you could enhance your experience in UO as well.

50. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

unattended macroing is not cheating, and i've explained this i think twice now. read my previous posts. and try to refute it instead of making up stuff out of nowhere.

EA/Mythic does not say it is cheating, they only say it is against the rules and it is actionable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.