1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need Geek help from someone with Vistas *UPDATE- GOT IT*

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Patty Pickaxe, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I bought a laptop with Vistas, and now I am having trouble getting UO to work with it. I tried to follow the instructions on UOHerald, but I am misunderstanding something. I really don't want to go into all the details here (unless it would be helpful for others..maybe), so would someone who can help me get UO running on my laptop send me an ICQ or a PM? Thank you!

*UPDATE*
    To start with, I downloaded UO from the UoHerald website, using the large downloads link for the 2d Mode.

Enigma and I have given up. Here is what we have tried:
    - Run everything as Admin
    - Turnoffed the firewalls and adjusted other security settings.
    - Turnoffed the UAC
    - Copied the config files and player folders from E's desktop and copied them onto my laptop.
    - Spent over an hour with IanJames in Vent and ICQ for personal tech support.

At this point, we are taking it as a sign that we are not suppose to have UO on my laptop. Really, this is a good thing bc the main reason I got it is to use it for grad school. I really don't need the temptation of UO while I should be writing a paper.

2. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I may be able to help you out as I run UO with Vista on my laptop. It's been awhile (2 years) since I installed it though...

I don't have your ICQ or else I'd send you one! :)

3. Patty Pickaxe

Icq is in my sig!

@Ianjames, can you send me another authorization request?

Be patient with me with ICQ...I downloaded the new client/// that 6.5 crappy version and I haven't quite figured it out yet!:wall:

4. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Patty,

I have little experience with Vista, but I do know that many older programs have issues running, and require admin privileges, which are locked down by default. So, the first thing you need to do, is make sure you are running UO with admin privileges. Right click on your UO game shortcut, choose Properties, then in Privilege Level, select the Run as Administrator option, and click Apply. You will need to do that with UOA as well I believe, if you use it to launch the game.

There is a compatibilty mode as well, but as far as I know, it is not necessary to run UO.

-Skylark

5. Patty Pickaxe

I have done all that. UoHerald has directions for Vistas. Here they are-
    Vista Users:

* Right click on the installer (or "setup" for Kingdom Reborn)
    * Choose "Properties"
    * Click on the "Compatibility Tab"
    * Run in compatibility mode for Win XP Service Pack 2
    * Run as Adminstrator
    * Apply then click OK
    * Run the installer

I did that, but after I click OK, the window just closes out and nothing happens. I dont know how to run the installer (the last step).

*EDIT*
    This is the other problem- it says to right click on the installer- I don't have an installer icon- just the game icon. So I am following the directions using the game icon. I don't know if this is the issue. It's probably also important to know that I downloaded the classic client from UO Herald, not from a disk.

6. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

7. Patty Pickaxe

Thank you Dog, but still no-go. I spent over an hour in Vent with Ianjames and we could not get UO to work. I get stuck at the first log-in attempt. I simply get a grey screen that does nothing (in the task manager windows the status is not responding). :wall:

I am thinking of unistalling and trying to install it with a disk. Unfortunately, the only dish I can find is second age. :cursing:

8. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

There shouldnt be any special way to install or play Uo just make sure you right click everything and install and run as administrator and everything should work fine.

9. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

I dunno why u have problems but for the record i also have vista and i hate it! What makes me mad is they actually gave me a choice when i purchased my computer and i chose vista thinking it would be better...still kicking myself in the rear for that one!

10. Patty Pickaxe

SHOULD WORK FINE are the key words. Sadly, that is not what is happening.

I tried installing UO twice from UOHerald (classic client, large downloads).

I have tried running everything as an administrator, Hell, I AM the admin on the laptop.

I turned off the account manager.

I spent an hour in Vent with Ianjames (who I owe something to for doing all she could think of to help). She did suggest copying some files from my desktop and load them onto my laptop. I have not tried that yet; I will later tonight when I am not so frustrated.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

I think I am going to walk away from the computers now. I have been at this all morning.
    *takes a deep breath* I really have better things to be doing. I will try again tonight.

11. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

One thing that might help is that Dell installs a lot of dell crap programs on your computer, maybe uninstall all that crap cuz maybe its conflicting with UO. Also make sure your UO installation is installed on the correct harddrive cause Dell computers usually have a double partition and maybe UO is not installed on the same drive as your windows installation. *shrugs*

12. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

i have no issues on my HP HDX18. Its vista. The white screen thing, is the computer bogging down. That happens when you try to do too much at once. So Id suggest checking whats running in the background get rid of most of it, as its not needed, and try again.

13. Patty Pickaxe

It's a HP, not a dell. I think I had ICQ running and firefox, so I will try again with just UO.

14. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Patty,

The Vista firewall is very aggressive. If you have already done the account privilege part, and the game screen actually loads, but you can't connect, then next make sure UO has explicit access in the firewall exceptions. I could walk you through how to do this in XP but I don't have access to a Vista UI to say the exact steps.

-Skylark

15. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Have you tried prayer?

16. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

FYI-

For Patty, the patches are running fine, but it bogs down when it's loading the initial splash screen before you log in. I've suggested she copy her uo.cfg and her player folders over to the laptop from her other computer and see if that helps with getting past that.

She doesn't seem to have a problem actually connecting to the patch servers and what not, so I don't think it's the firewall, but one never knows. I've not had this same issue on my vista machine, so I'm not really sure.

17. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Answer

If you are having problems running a game and you think it is related to compatibility with Windows Vista, you can try to get the game to work by running it in Compatibility Mode. You can also check the Windows Vista Compatibility Center here.

Make sure you have downloaded all of the necessary updates to Windows Vista, including Service Pack 1.

Note: This setup should only be used for games that have been developed before Windows Vista. Please consult the Minimum System Requirements for your game to see if Windows Vista is listed before attempting to run your game in Compatibility Mode.

To run your game in Compatibility Mode:

Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose Properties.
    In the Properties Panel, click the Compatibility tab.
    Place a check in the Compatibility Mode checkbox.
    Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) in the mode box.
    Click Apply to save your changes.
    If you did not opt to have a desktop icon installed:

Find the game icon listed in your Games directory.
    Right-click on the game and click on Customize. This will bring up the Customize menu.
    Select Play.
    Select Edit.
    This will bring up the Properties screen. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    Check Run in Compatibility Mode and then choose Windows XP (or whatever operating system the game was designed for).
    Press Apply, and then press OK. You will be back at the customize menu.
    Close the customize screen.
    The game should now be configured to run in Compatibility Mode.
    If you're playing multiple games, you will have to configure each game to run in Compatibility Mode separately.

You might also want to try running the software as an administrator by following the steps below:

Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose Properties.
    In the Properties Panel, click the Compatibility tab.
    In the Privilege Level section, place a check in the Run this Program as an Administrator checkbox.
    Click Apply to save your changes.
    Try the software again.
    The Windows Vista Firewall is also more active than the Windows XP Firewall. This can cause problems playing online and running games that were designed before Vista. Turning off the Windows Vista Firewall will not stop the firewall from blocking programs. To ensure that the game is running at peak performance, you need to add the game program and any related programs (for example, Punkbuster for some online titles) to the Firewall Exceptions list.

If the game continues to fail, you may need to edit the run features of the game to override User Account Control features in Windows Vista.

Note: You will be altering operating system security and parental controls when performing the steps below. Please be aware that if you follow these steps, you will need to contact Microsoft for further support.

Windows Vista User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide

18. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Almost forgot...when i tried to download an old version and patch up I also had problems, but when I installed from the eight age and then patched it worked flawlessly. maybe you will have better luck doing it that way also.

19. Patty Pickaxe

Thank you Cheapy for posting those suggestions. I tried everyone and still no-go with UO.

I used the links on Uo Herald to download. Shouldn't that be the newest version? Anyway, when I can manage to kick Enigma off of his computer (or my daughter off of mine!) I will try IanJames' suggesting of copying files.

:wall::wall::cursing::wall::wall::cursing::wall:

vistas---> :flame: <------Me

20. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Weird I have no issues on my HP, but its a tank of a laptop. ICQ and Firefox shouldnt be an issue. Hell im on IE right now, ICQ, MSN, Steam (auto runs), Excell, and then a bunch of standard HP stuff running.

That shouldnt cause the problem. But its having some issues loading. Have you done a defrag. Perhaps its bogging down due to high fragment?

21. MikeD

MikeD Guest

I remember going to my uo directory as well and selecting the clients to run as admin and xpsp2

22. Patty Pickaxe

this is a pretty standard, basic laptop. I read alot of reviews on laptops and I swear someone said they play WOW on this laptop, so I figured if it can support WOW it should have no problem with UO.

Here is what I have:
    Pentium Duel-Core Processor T4200
    2.00GHz (I know....slow)
    3.00 GB memory
    32-bit operating system
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

23. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Turn off the UAC.

24. LittleSkyWalker

LittleSkyWalker Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Try install to alternate installation folder (not to c:\program files)
    If you have D:\ then you may just create folder "program files" and install all the uo on D:\program files.

I not sure if you aware that you can actually copy Uo game folder from old computer to your new computer/laptop and the game will still run without having to install and download the patchers?

good luck :)

25. Patty Pickaxe

Well, that is interesting! I tried copying the config files and player files, but that didn't work either. Are you saying I need to copy more than that?
    I dont know why I am asking. At this point of the day, I have given up. I won't do anything tonight. My brain is fried.

I updated my original post with everything that we have tried.

26. I guess i am just not a geek (but man) isnt this a bit much to just play a game?

27. Ok I had the same problem my uo would not update,this is what you have to do even though your on admin you still got to go into control panel and go to the user settings and there is an option that says allow users to make changes or something along those lines, I am on my cell phone now, if you have not figured it out by the time I get to my vista comp I will give you a better walk through , but u gotta basicly set all users unlimited access. Even if your logged in admin

28. LittleSkyWalker

LittleSkyWalker Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Well.. at least this works for me

(on XP) My UO installation files was all the while install on "D:\Program Files\EA Games\UO Version"

I can simply duplicate above folder and copy across to vista machine and save to the same location on "D:\Program Files\EA Games\UO Version" (just copy only without having install UO and goes thru the patches)

if you running 2d.. you will have all the macros n etc. For vista you need to look under "My documents\EA Gamers\UO Version" If not wrong.. KR uses 'Ultima Online' for 2D uses 'Ultima Online Legacy'.. if you migrating 2d to 2d just copy all files from xp/vista to vista.. hope it help

29. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

ok ya i started to think of a few things.

are u running 64 bit vista?
    are u an administrator on the laptop?

Lorddog

30. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

She answered those details earlier, and mentioned her user account is the admin on the laptop.

-Skylark

31. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Patty, if you are stuck, and there is someone geeky you know, are comfortable with, and they are willing, you can use the remote assistance feature in Vista and give them temporary access to log on the laptop, while you are logged in. This is helpful because the person will see everything you see, and can directly look at settings and watch what is actually happening, and you can give them mouse/keyboard control so they can make configuration changes for you. I have used it to help people with XP. Vista doesn't support VoIP chat via headset during a remote help session, but I think you can do typed chat or just be on the phone with them while they are helping you and looking at the comp. The person helping you has to have Vista as well, so someone like me who has downgraded to XP on new comps by choice, would not be able to help with remote assistance on Vista.

I think the remote help feature can be disabled when you are done with the help session, to reduce security holes...at least it could be in XP.

You can access Remote Assistance by clicking the Start button and selecting All Programs --> Maintenance --> Remote Assistance. Upon launching Remote Assistance, you will see a screen giving you the choice of either inviting someone to help you or offering to help someone.

-Skylark

32. Patty Pickaxe

Thank you for the advice Skylark. No one in my family nor any of my friends have Vista. Funny you mention downgrading to XP bc E and I actually had a discussion about it and considered it. However, we both feel we are better off without UO on the laptop. It's main purpose is for grad school.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who offered suggestions and especially to Ianjames for being my personal tech support. It's frustrating but I believe some things just aren't meant to be! This is someone's way of telling us to keep UO off of laptop!

33. TexasBlack

TexasBlack Guest

:scholar: Hi Patty I have a toshiba laptop with vista on it. I had a similar issue with my laptop. My solution that worked for me was when I downloaded it from the site uo recommended was to turn off everything running in the background during the intial download and I mean everything vent , uoassist any programs that would slow down the computer. Except I left the windows firewall up and running so when prompted which vista likes to do for everything I would allow it . Now once the dl finished I clicked on the installer and when vista asked for permission which it does everytime I launch this game I always allow it or say yes. I think the main problem is with your graphics card your processor seems like it should be good enough. Oh I also use 3 gigs of Ram in my laptop. Now when I play this I use vent and it works. I hope this helps HP likes to put alot of stuff on their systems. The main thing about vista is it's a memory hog that covers itself for dang near every program it runs. If your laptop is still hanging up during the patching process my suggestion is to get more Ram if possible or leave nothing running in the background until done then when you are in the game turn on vent and the stuff you use HTH:grouphug:.

34. Patty Pickaxe

I still had some lingering determination to make UO work on my laptop. I dug out a Samurai Empire Disk and used that instead. IT WORKED! :danceb:

I honestly believe something is borked with the Uo Herald Link. Several times during this process, when I clicked on the large downloads link I got an internal server error message. Sometimes it took tow or three tries before I got the link to work. Also, I don't think it ever fully patched using the link. It took much longer to patch using the disk than it did using the on-line link. Or it just could be that my laptop did not like the on-line download.

So my suggestion to anyone trying to download UO- use a disk!

35. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

*Looks around and whistles*

36. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

The install file linked to the herald site may well be defective, but it is also possible that if you did not use a download manager, something got corrupted in the download. In any case, glad you got things working. :)

-Skylark