1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Designing and Building Something

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ancient Sosarian, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Ancient Sosarian

Ancient Sosarian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Hail Sosarians,

I am seeking a How to Guide with step by step directions for building a multifloor Lighthouse upon an 18 x 18 custom plot. Three floors and a roof or four floors are available. Goza's may also be an option. Optical illusion may also be an option.

Following a Search, I was able to find a couple pictures of Lighthouses but with very small footprints on the plot. While my Lighthouse need not take up the whole plot in its footprint, I'd prefer mine to be at least 10 by 10 at its base.

I am decent at following directions and am trying to do this on my own, but also wish to appeal to those of you who are demonstated to be at or near genius at this, which I am far from.

It is my hope that this Thread may remain here in UHALL at least until seen by its broader viewership, though I'd certainly expect the Thread might be moved to Homes and Castles, I hope only that may be delayed until those who may wish to reply have seen it.

My Thanks to you all,

An SoS

p.s. If your Guide is used I will acknowledge you in a Book displayed prominently at the Lighthouse

2. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

well fiddle...... have always had the lighthouse movie (and building plans) from the House of Een bookmarked, and the link no longer works :( great little movie and a nice design now lost in the vastness of the great Interweb Graveyard

3. Ancient Sosarian

Ancient Sosarian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Indeed! I tried that link also with no love found.

I await those who know. Unlike the Captain in Magnum Force ... I know my limitations! HeHe

An SoS

4. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

I've never seen a good player made lighthouse. Do you have any pics or links to show what you are after?

I might be able to help with an illusion of extra height.

Biggest problem for the top is that items don't show unless people walk into a building, but now I'm thinking about windows and the light they cast as a inner wall. Hrmmm, ya got me thinking now.

5. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Don't you live right next door to one on Great Lakes?

To the OP, there's a lighthouse on Great Lakes out on one of the islands in Trammel -- it's the one with the marble buildings on it, one of which houses an entrance to T2A. Admittedly, the lighthouse is a small portion of it, and done to UO scale (ie: not the other lighthouse out in T2A) with other seaside features, but it might be a small source of inspiration.

6. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Yes, I live next door to that one. But I said "a good" player made lighthouse. And I don't mean to be critical of anyone's efforts, because I don't think there's much to make them out of that really works. The new gothic windows might be a big help.

I was thinking though, that a double layer of windowed walls that cast the light as an inside layer, and then some form of full height glass door or something on the outer layer, how that might work.

7. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Weird how this happens, but I'll bump this one by referring to a thread currently on this very page! http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/260592-old-uo-video.html

The wayback machine link works for the movie, but I'm not sure about the plans, may need to work out the actual URL they were on to try get them.

8. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

It's hard to make a lighthouse, and probably the reason there aren't very many ingame, because UO's house building tiles set contains almost no curved, circular, walls.

There's only one set and it's woefully inadequate.

9. Hell's Ironworks

Hell's Ironworks Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Here's 2 lil design i did. One thing is that you have to keep your tower narrow since you cant go more than 4 floors... You can use the rest of the space for the light keeper's house , grass or docks or anything you like...I used crystal braziers for lighthing. You can use up to 4 with the one that has no roof.

Hope this helps a lil.

Attached Files:

• LH1.jpg
      LH1.jpg
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
    • LH2.jpg
      LH2.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Mandrake of DF

Mandrake of DF Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think if you deep into the posts at homes and castles, I remember it was one made there that really was gorgeous looking - but not practical.... Built on illusions...